Training package to help train operators how to use a measuring devices properly

K

kalyhan

Hi Everyone!

We've been a little lax in gage R & R studies, but are picking up the pace and trying to get them done on each "type" of equipment.

Our calibration technician came to me the other day and asked if I could put together a training package to help train operators how to use a measuring devices properly. He realized while observing operators performing R & R studies that the operators really were not using calipers properly. We've noticed that some operators are really not using tape measures correctly either. They rush thru jobs. Of course all of this just screams nonconforming parts.

We work with stainless and aluminum tubing to manufacture parts.

Does anyone have anything they have already put together - maybe willing to share or can you point me in the right direction?? I've already gathered a bunch of stuff on calipers. I am usually pretty good at putting training packages together, but I don't use the devices or tooling here - I just write the stuff:paint: .

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
Re: Gage R & R Assistance

Not using calipers properly...oh my! That involves OJT and supervision until old habits are broken. And the person doing training on that had better be right! However, preliminary training can be done with tools like this one. I am not affiliated with the company. This attachment is something you can access right away.

Did the people doing GR&R on calipers handle them right? How do you know?

If the equipment isn't handled properly in a GR&R study, the study must be redone to eliminate this question in accuracy.

K

kalyhan

Re: Gage R & R Assistance

Thanks Jennifer for your reply!

Yes, we seem to have an ongoing problem with department leads NOT training operators properly. We have advanced training efforts in several areas of our plant. We didn't realize how big a problem our operators had until our calibration technician was forced into R & R studies. He is trained to use calipers and such - so he is the one who raised the red flag that operators are not using this equipment correctly, even though operators think they know how to use them!

The links you offered may help. I may order the CD. Based on the sample I viewed, it looks like something I would have put together if I had all the necessary data.

The R & R studies that our technician attempted to do using the operators were voided out.

Thanks again for your input.

Karen

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Thread retitled and moved to the 17025 forum because it really is about using measurement devices, not Gage R&R.

Marc

J

jane_ackerman - 2010

This is something that I did when I was the Gage Technician.
I created a powerpoint presentation showing how to read various analog gages - gave examples and practice exercises on screen as well as having an hour of hands on practice afterward.
I explained to them all that they could not expect to develop proper feel and technique overnight and when unsure, ask a co-worker or supervisor or someone from Quality to double check a reading on occasion just to help build confidence - and especially if they were unsure of something.
I'd like to share this presentation with you but I might get in trouble since I developed it on company time and technically, it belongs to them.
All I did though, is get out a digital camera and took some really detailed pictures and made it clear enough for an elementary student (no disrespect meant... but that's what you should really focus on).

In my opinion, your calibration technician would be a highly qualified person to help do this... my personal feeling is that they should not pass this off on to someone else. At a minimum, they might request assistance for the pictures and perhaps working with powerpoint if they are not familiar with it.

Good Luck,
Jane

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Leader
Super Moderator
do you use the same vendor to buy all your measuring devices?
If so they may be willing to come in and do some training.
The guy we buy our Mitutoyo and Mahr tools from has offered this several times.

J

jane_ackerman - 2010

Hello Marc,
As I stated, it technically belongs to my company since I created it on company time... but I will ask permission from my superiors.
If approved, I might need your assistance in uploading it - the files are so huge. They have MANY pictures and are voice enhanced - an hour and a half long total.

Jane

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
If you get approval and the file is big, just PM me and I'll give you an email address to send it to.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Seeking: Quality Awareness training package Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 8
R ISO 17025 Lead Assessor Training ISO 17025 related Discussions 0
A New to QMS and regulatory... advice on training/certification? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
T Counterfeit parts training AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
Anerol C FMEA workshop training South of Texas FMEA and Control Plans 0
Anerol C FMEA Training for South Texas Service Industry Specific Topics 0
N What quality training do you suggest? Manufacturing and Related Processes 14
Q Lead Auditor Training Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 31
S Training in D&D for engineers with no medical device experience Design and Development of Products and Processes 7
CPhelan Optimizing Training Review Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
Q Documenting Effectiveness of Training Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 14
J Old procedure review and training requirements Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
P Have you purchased training materials from the 13485store.com? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 0
Q Training For Temps Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
S Training for PRRC (person responsible for regulatory compliance) EU Medical Device Regulations 3
T IAQG Approved Training Providers vs. Probitas Authentication Approved Training Providers AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
C Training for Manufacturing Nonconformances and CAPS with focus on the wording Nonconformance and Corrective Action 4
H Product Safety & Conformity Representative (PSCR) Training Company IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
Q ISO Training Providers to fix careless workers? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 19
Q Training Machinists on Company Processes Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 6
R Using Scrapped NC items for training Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 15
D IATF 16949 Clause 7.2.2 - On the job training IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
D Training for ISO 17025 ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
Q Documented Evidence of Training ISO 13485: 2016 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 42
Q Training vs competence ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
Crusader ASQ AS9100 Lead Auditor Training Career and Occupation Discussions 27
Anerol C On line training for REACH, RoHS, Halogen RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 1
M Clinical evaluation report training EU Medical Device Regulations 3
E AS9146 FOD Training AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0
Cats Clause ISO 9001:2015 7.1.5 Monitoring and measuring resources: Application to training providers ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
L How to find a good 510(k) submission training? Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
L How to find a good online CFDA submission training? China Medical Device Regulations 5
Sidney Vianna IAQG News New IAQG Resources - AS9104-3 Requirements for Aerospace Auditor Competency & Training Courses AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
S Lean Six Sigma Online Training Six Sigma 1
M RM 13006 Training Syllabus AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
Sonja D AIAG VDA PFMEA and Control Plan training FMEA and Control Plans 9
S Transition training for Internal Auditor from ISO 9001: 2008 to the ISO 9001:2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
J Training on the importance of Document Control Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
M Do employee training records need to be controlled documents? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
BeaBea QMS/ Training Management Software Service Industry Specific Topics 4
N ISO 22716 - GMP Training for GMP trainer Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
T Training Records - assembly line staff ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 20
D Do employee training records need to be centralized? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
C Certification vs Accreditation Training (General) Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
A Corrective Action Training ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
A Self-training or Self-studying ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
N ISO 9001 - Training business with fewer than 5 employees ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
S Employees training database Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
optomist1 Rates Daily or Hourly Process Improvement Training Consultants and Consulting 2
Le Chiffre Online training available for ISO/IEC 17021-1: Requirements for bodies providing audit and certification of management systems Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3