Training Process Map - An ISO9001:2000 Requirement?

C

cleverfox

Process map of Training?

Hello all again. We have been through our phase 1 assessment audit of ISO9001:2000 in July 2003. Our phase 2 cert. audit is Aug. 11, 2003.

During the closing meeting the auditor mentioned that my original go at the process map with interactions was excellent. But he had a few comments (funny how they always start off with a compliment :rolleyes: ). He gave me a chart of what processes this registrar expects to see mapped out under MOP's (management oriented processes), SOP's (support...) and COP's (customer...). Under the SOP's he has listed "Training"! :eek:

I am not sure what inputs or the outputs for said process are. :frust:

Does anyone have any idea that may help me.

I also had to re-do the entire process map (the one that started out as excellent) because I had too much detail originally.

Signed,

frustrated in Michigan

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
cleverfox said:
I am not sure what inputs or the outputs for said process are. :frust:

Does anyone have any idea that may help me.
Dear Frustrated (Wow sounds just like Ann Landers)

No, really, this may be some more overzealousness of the registrar. I would ask where in the standard it mentions MOPs, CPOPs, SOPs, or even process maps. They aren't there. Given said that, mapping the is most common way to meet the process understanding requirements. The inputs to the process could be such things as training needs, personnel competencies, process requirements. Outputs could be training plans, competent personnel. The process is to identify the training (or rather compency) needs; determine the available compentencies; align the two and then determine how you will fill any gaps. An additional output would of course be records.

Why do you have to re-do anything? Was it because the auditor thought it was too complex, or perhaps there is no way you could live with it?

You have to meet the requirements of the standard. Never allow an auditor's interpretation of the standard to overrule yours. It is YOUR system, not the auditors.

C

cleverfox

Dave,

Thanks for responding. You are right the standard does not spell out the technique for process mapping, but 4.1(a) states to identify and (b) requires that these be sequenced and their interaction known. BUt you probably know that.

The ISO website (www.iso.org/) has guidance on process mapping, so I guess even though the standard doesn't explicitely state to do it, it is implied through (get this) "interpretation" (oh, its a beautiful thing). But because the standard doesn't give clear guidance (imagine that), the registrars may set the bar for you.

You are very wise in the possible inputs and outputs that you listed, thank you.

My experience is that auditors have specific ideas of how the standard should be implemented. If you show them that you have your own ideas and they work (you "set the bar"), they will probably be okay with that. If it appears that you haven't "set the bar", then they will default to their ideas and set if for you. The key is for you to set the bar, afterall it is your bar.

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
cleverfox said:
He gave me a chart of what processes this registrar expects to see mapped out under MOP's (management oriented processes), SOP's (support...) and COP's (customer...). Under the SOP's he has listed "Training"!
What was on the 'chart' you were given?

RoxaneB

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
cleverfox said:
During the closing meeting the auditor mentioned that my original go at the process map with interactions was excellent. But he had a few comments (funny how they always start off with a compliment :rolleyes: ). He gave me a chart of what processes this registrar expects to see mapped out under MOP's (management oriented processes), SOP's (support...) and COP's (customer...).
Oh wow, this sounds almost word-for-word from our Registrar!!! Don't suppose you're in the steel industry?!?! ;)

We were provided with a template for MOPs and SOPs and COPs, to be filled by us to help our External Auditors understand how our processes related to the Standard...apprently process maps just aren't enough. :)

That being said we have developed inputs/outputs for Recruitment, Retention and Development...just a fancy way to say Human Resources. But it combines training, safety and payroll...HR's three main areas of focus at our facility.

Inputs

Raw Materials
  • Identified need for human resources

Utilities - N/A

Key Paperwork
  • Requirement of current legislation (which we then go on to list)
  • Company culture and management objectives
  • Collective bargaining agreement
  • (HR/H&S) Audit and survey findings

Outputs

Finished Product
  • Positive morale
  • Low turnover
  • Skilled workforce

Process Data
  • Refer to Department Key Indicators
  • Human Resources, Health and Safety, and Payroll databases

Key Records
  • Appropriate Business Management System records including, but not limited to: Department Key Indicators, Training Records, Performance development records, Legistlated documents/reocrds, etc.

We also list work environment and resources and provide links to other HR/H&S document for recruitment process specifics, training programs, the Employee Training Records database and so on.

C

cleverfox

RCB,

Whew, I was beginning to wonder if we were the only ones with required COPs, SOPs and MOPs. You have given me some good thoughts concerning HR and training. I am not sure why our registrar is so insistent about Training being a process, but I decided to make it an output of HR with similiar inputs.

Marc, the requirements above were listed on a sheet that the auditor was suppose to use to help us map these out, not sure other than that. I just do what I am told...just a foot soldier in someone elses army. :biglaugh:

I have attached the process map of what I currently believe will pass, as it has already gotten somewhat of a thumbs up during the phase 1 assessment. This has the process interactions and sequenced in relation to product/production realization.

Any other thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Attachments

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
RCBeyette said:
Oh wow, this sounds almost word-for-word from our Registrar!!! Don't suppose you're in the steel industry?!?!
So who is your registrar? Ours didn't say anything about our "process maps". I certainly did not flow chart training...we do have a procedure that spells out the process.

ccochran

Southern Gentleman
Process sequence & interaction

Howdy,

This whole 'process sequence and interaction' thing has caused more confusion than just about anything else in ISO 9001:2000. It's confusing because the requirement is somewhat vague, and different folks interpret it in vastly different ways. When the standard says 'processes,' is it talking about the key processes that you have for doing what you do (welding, grinding, polishing, etc.) or is it talking about generic QMS processes (training, corrective action, mgt review, etc.)? I think it's talking about both.

When I give advice on this topic, I tell people to simply draw a flow diagram of what you do as a business, starting with customer requirements and ending with customer satisfaction. The flow diagram is not required, of course, but it's an easy way to achieve 'sequence and interaction.' I also say to keep the diagram to one page or less. Then I tell them to try to incorporate QMS processes. The trick is that many of these processes are not really sequential. That's okay, just put them in a cloud floating around the whole diagram or try to imply that these processes might be applied at any stage. Then I ask them to make sure they've indicated the major verification stages and informational inputs. Voila, you've just done system planning.

The 'MOPs, COPs, SOPs' advocated by this particular registrar might be a helpful construct to assist in building this diagram, but it's still up to the organization. As long as you've defined your processes (realization processes and QMS processes), along with their sequence and interact, nobody should have anything to say about it. Don't let someone highjack your system or it will gradually become unrecognizable to you.

CC

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Craig Cochran
Center for International Standards & Quality
Georgia Institute of Technology
[email protected]

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B VDA 6.3 Qualification as Process Auditor training course and exam VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 0
I Who owns your Competence, Awareness and Training process? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
pammesue So much turnover, How to improve our training process? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 32
W Process Validation Training - Custom made Medical Device Design and Development of Products and Processes 4
M Seeking input for a process-based quality management system training course ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
E Procedure Templates for Training, Awareness and Competency Assessment Process Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
K CAPA Training for Process Nonconformances Nonconformance and Corrective Action 2
H What kind of training would you recommend to start on the process improvement world? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 8
E Business Process Outsourcing - Training Plans for Employees where you deliver labour ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
Z SIPOC (Suppliers Inputs Process Outputs Customers) Chart Training Material ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
A Seeking CQI-11 (Special Process Plating Assessment) Training Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
H How to perform interesting PFMEA (Process FMEA) Training Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 6
J Training Matrix Requirements - ESA & Internal Frozen Process Control Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 3
Q Training KPIs (Key Process Indicators) Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 8
I Can Training feature in a Process FMEA FMEA and Control Plans 12
B Process Validation Protocol for Injection Molding - Looking for training resource Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 1
R How much Training for Process Validation? Process Performance Qualifications Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 5
bobdoering Statistical Process Control for Precision Machining Video Training Course Imported Legacy Blogs 0
S General Documentation Question-Training Center Process Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
Stijloor Special Process Training from AIAG Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 0
M Process Capability Training Exercise Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 3
Anerol C Process Approach Training Material ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
C Lean Training Simulation(s) Chemical Process(es) Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 1
M 'Training' as a Prevention Control in a Process FMEA? FMEA and Control Plans 29
ScottK Who is your training process owner? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 20
O Training on ISO9001 Process Approach Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 13
Q Training Matrix - Job Class vs. Process Instructions - ISO 13485 Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
Q Business Process Mapping training that integrates Visio 2003 Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 5
Z Layered Process Audit Training - Need Powerpoint Presentation to train LPA auditors Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 5
P QMS Training - Purchasing Process - Seeking suggestions and comments Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 8
M In the process of developing a training program for our IQA Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 10
R Addressing Training in ISO 9001:2000 Process Documents Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 21
WALLACE Employee Training Communication System (Process) Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
K SPC (Statistical Process Control) Training and Courses - Seeking suggestions Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
M Audit Criteria Training Materials Internal Auditing 1
B Looking for 10 Internal Audit Online Training Participants ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
optomist1 Informational Training IMDS - Management of Product Chemical Regulatory Compliance RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 2
Anonymous16-2 Labelling Training Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
J Recommendations for online ISO 19011 training? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 6
J Looking for a training organization that can provide in house DFMEA training FMEA and Control Plans 4
A AS9100 Training - Where do I start? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 14
R What's the major difference between Green Belt and Black Belt in term of training and project Six Sigma 3
S ISO 13485 Lead Auditor - Debate between our Quality Team and Regulatory Auditor - Internal Auditor Training ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 17
I Where can I beg, steal (just kidding of course) or borrow good training material on the ISO 9001:2015 standard? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
JAMESH Building a "Lean" Job Shop Training Program Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 0
I Does training have to be written? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
I Root Cause Analysis as Training ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
Q Regulations for Medical Device Kit for Training Personnel? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
S Can we provide training plan as corrective action for IATF 16949 Non conformity? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
S IRCA Lead Auditor training and Exam tips Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1