Training Production Employees When We Have SOOO Many SOPs

R

repiKS

I work for a mid-sized medical device manufactuer in the US. We have hundreds of documents that employees on the production floor train to. Each employee has a job profile (tied to job title) that lists which documents they need trained to based on daily job duties.

We update 20-40 documents per month, and most affect people on the floor. That creates TON of training for supervisors to give and employees to absorb. Currently, we encourage supervisors to do small group training, but many times I just see the SOP and sign off sheet sitting around for people to read and sign. Thta is problematic for many reasons, including that many of our non-English speakers are signing off on it even though they have not read the document.

Any suggestions on better methods of trianing people on the producton floor?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

normzone

Trusted Information Resource
What's driving all those updates to your documentation?

This is easy for me to say, I'm miles away and don't wear your hat. So take it for what it's worth.

If all these updates are happening because they affect processes (and thereby affect product), then if the training is being scamped it would be likely that great masses of substandard product is being produced. I'm going to offer the benefit of the doubt and assume that's not the case.

So then all these updates don't affect process/product? In that case, perhaps the training required is minimal?

I think the first question is why the updates?

Michael_M

Trusted Information Resource
What are you using as 'verification' that the training was effective?

We have put training out for everyone to sign on rare occasions but follow it up with some type of verification that they actually read it. For example, asking what was talked about 2-3 days after the notice is taken down.

We do not do this type of training often as it really is not that effective for us, however, it may be more effective at your place.

I don't know anything about the medical field, but are all the SOP's required? Can they be created in a different format, for example, prior to running a job, the SOP comes on a computer screen to be reviewed. If you can, this would have them acknowledge the new SOP without having to constantly be trained. If the same document gets changed 3 times in 3 months, will people remember which SOP is the correct version (or correct information to follow)?

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant
I work for a mid-sized medical device manufactuer in the US. We have hundreds of documents that employees on the production floor train to. Each employee has a job profile (tied to job title) that lists which documents they need trained to based on daily job duties.

We update 20-40 documents per month, and most affect people on the floor. That creates TON of training for supervisors to give and employees to absorb. Currently, we encourage supervisors to do small group training, but many times I just see the SOP and sign off sheet sitting around for people to read and sign. Thta is problematic for many reasons, including that many of our non-English speakers are signing off on it even though they have not read the document.

Maybe you have to many SOPs. Do you need them all? Maybe some should be condensed or combined.

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin
Welcome to the Cove! :bigwave:

I would not be surprised if non-English speaking employees were signing off on document changes without reading them - unless the documents are in their own language, how could they read the SOPs?

I also wonder how complex the tasks are, and like others I wonder if all those SOPs are needed. If instructions are very important to get it right, can you use pictures, drawings or models?

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator

Welcome to the COVE ~~~
You do have some good and sound systems, but misdirected practices.
Perhaps they stem from misunderstanding requirements.
Training is need based, so is documentation.
Documentation need do stem from standards / regulations + your requirements.
So when you filter your documents, you may perhaps find that you can get rid of few.
Then you need guts, self belief and conviction to size your documents volume down to need based requirements.
This may in turn reduce your document updating tasks. However planned and stable processes have few changes, when you look at month on month.
Now the training...
All changes do not need training of user. This is because the user is considered in making the changes, and are not out of the document change process (I hope)
This training is then based on significance of change made, and assessed in your risk management. Perhaps you have to address your training process document as well...

I work for a mid-sized medical device manufacturer in the US. We have hundreds of documents that employees on the production floor train to. Each employee has a job profile (tied to job title) that lists which documents they need trained to based on daily job duties.

Any suggestions on better methods of training people on the production floor?
I've encountered exactly this situation. It's better to start with defining "competencies" rather than "training". If you define competencies, first, it will take care of 80% of the jobs people are required to do. Then you might want to consider what is being called "training". Training is a skills development process. If people are simply reviewing for understanding purposes, what's written, then that's "awareness", not training. The ISO 9001 requirements help you here, because 6.2.2 is called "Competency, awareness and training"...

GStough

Staff member
Super Moderator

I can tell you that if the training is necessary, the method you described would not sit well with an FDA auditor. We just had the pleasure of hosting a visit from them, and they made a comment along the lines of "invest in real training, because reading/acknowledging doesn't prove competency or effectiveness of the training." Also, take a look at all of those SOPs and determine whether they are all necessary or if they can be streamlined into fewer, related documents and make use of technology, if possible, by employing photos, illustrations, flowcharts, etc. This removes (or at least reduces) the language barrier, as well.

Hope this helps. :bigwave:

channelr

Starting to get Involved
How do you address extended leave of absence for employees and retraining in your training procedure? I would love to hear your thoughts and appreciate the feedback. Thank you!:bigwave:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Work Area (Production Shop Floor) Training Matrix Requirements Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
J Root Cause Determination Training for Production Managers Nonconformance and Corrective Action 6
D Non-production personnel Training Records - ISO9001 Requirements Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
V Training Needs - Small workforce electricity generation/gas production Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
D Quality Training materials that I can give to production workers Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 21
E 5S exercise for in-class training of production personnel Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 16
W 5S Training Materials (Videos & Handouts) for production staff? Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 3
A How to present our quality efforts to our production people and during training? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 6
D Ideas on GMP & GDP Awareness Training for Non-production & QC folks Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 11
J Does ISO9k2k require Safety Training needed in production floor ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 20
D Quality Training for Operators and Production Supervisors to do Self-Inspection Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
S Training technical operators on production floor - E.g. Single Point Lessons Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 5
Anonymous16-2 Labelling Training Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
J Recommendations for online ISO 19011 training? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 6
J Looking for a training organization that can provide in house DFMEA training FMEA and Control Plans 4
A AS9100 Training - Where do I start? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 11
R What's the major difference between Green Belt and Black Belt in term of training and project Six Sigma 3
S ISO 13485 Lead Auditor - Debate between our Quality Team and Regulatory Auditor - Internal Auditor Training ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 17
I Where can I beg, steal (just kidding of course) or borrow good training material on the ISO 9001:2015 standard? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
JAMESH Building a "Lean" Job Shop Training Program Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 0
I Does training have to be written? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
I Root Cause Analysis as Training ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
Q Regulations for Medical Device Kit for Training Personnel? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
S Can we provide training plan as corrective action for IATF 16949 Non conformity? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
S IRCA Lead Auditor training and Exam tips Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
N ... and some have greatness thrust upon them - Training for novice QA manager ? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 6
C Looking for APQP Training recommendations preferably in the aerospace industry APQP and PPAP 2
B VDA 6.3 Qualification as Process Auditor training course and exam VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 0
L Hazardous Waste - Tips for creating standardized training Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 2
R ISO 13485 QMS Implementation Training ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
R How to keep track of employee read-only training ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 13
I "On the job training" as a response to how someone was trained? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 75
J Getting training either from ASQ or from SAI Global - ISO 9001 Lead Auditor training Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
I Date of Quality Management System - Training Records ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 19
R ISO 13485 and QMS related concepts Training - Small medical device startup company ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
R Training Matrix for Document revisions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
I Training records and "grandfather" clauses ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
S Education authority requires approval of all courses - Training services provider ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
S ISO 9001 Clause 8.3 - Design & Development for training course center ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
M ESD (Electrostatic Discharge) Training Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
S Is Annual QMS Training Required? ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
D ISO 9001:2015 Internal Audit Training Advice Internal Auditing 10
C Recommendations for UK-based ISO 13485 internal auditor training ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
A ISO9001:2015 Document control and training aids ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
J Customer VDA Audit - We must provide refresher training? VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 4
T QMS Training for my organization - IATF16949 and also AS9100 or 9145 Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
J Dr Training Records - Training doctors to use a PMA approved medical device Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
A Medical device CER (clinical evaluation report) training/seminar services EU Medical Device Regulations 2
R Addressing training requirements - 21 CFR Part 820.25 (1) & (2) Other US Medical Device Regulations 4
Z Training Qualification Matrix for ISO 9001:2015 Audit General Auditing Discussions 8