Training Requirements for Temporary Employees

C

Corey

Hello All,
First time entry. Although I have been reaping the rewards of visiting the site from time to time. Here is my scenario: The company I am with utilizes temp. employees. To address 6.2.2 (recently reg. 9001-2000) I have a procedure. The scope of that procedure is all employees (my mistake). If I revise the scope or modify it for temp. employees, what are the minimum requirements I need to meet?

The reason I ask is that we may have temp. that last 1 day-3 months. I want to minimize the work till after they are on our payroll. However, they do need to know the system. I am being told that they wil only perform general labor activities.

Thoughs..comments..
Thanks,Corey

R

ralphsulser

Corey said:
Hello All,
First time entry. Although I have been reaping the rewards of visiting the site from time to time. Here is my scenario: The company I am with utilizes temp. employees. To address 6.2.2 (recently reg. 9001-2000) I have a procedure. The scope of that procedure is all employees (my mistake). If I revise the scope or modify it for temp. employees, what are the minimum requirements I need to meet?

The reason I ask is that we may have temp. that last 1 day-3 months. I want to minimize the work till after they are on our payroll. However, they do need to know the system. I am being told that they wil only perform general labor activities.

Thoughs..comments..
Thanks,Corey
We handle it this way:
We contract with 3 temp agencies locally, they are responsibe to locate, interview, and test the potential candidates. They are listed on our Approved Supplier list. We then give a math test to the ones selected by the agencies. Then chose which we are willing to use as a temp. Then usually after 90 days they become permenant employees if they do a good job and have good attendance. This is defined in our training procedure. Approved by our registration auditor. Hope this helps:)

CarolX

Trusted Information Resource
Hi Corey,

Always different ways to skin the proverbial cat. We use a lot of temps for “general labor”, some just for a week or two. We have in our process that no “documented” training, or detailed training, other than basic orientation would take place until 30 days, regardless of employment status (temp-perm). But….basic orientation includes a brief description of our QMS. We have moved the basic orientation from our people to the Temp Agency. This was very easy….when the Temp Agency rep isn’t performing HR duties (i.e. training, time cards, paycheck dispersion) he works in shop.

Al Rosen

Leader
Super Moderator
Corey said:
Hello All,

Thoughs..comments..
Thanks,Corey
Can you revise it to a basic orientation and on-the-job training for temps until after they are on the payroll.

C

Corey

Great advice..I am going to revise the procedure. I think I will wait till the employee is on the payroll. However; I do have a form that gives some backround on ISO and our QMS. I will have HR hand these out at the time they perform their safety and other related topics.

Thanks everyone

R

ralphsulser

Sounds good. I do all the orientation for new permenant employees for the TS16949 system, go over the Quality Policy, how the systems works, what customers expect, their involvement, score card ratings, internal and external audits, etc. I give them a 2 page hand out that describes the QMS, and a card printed with our Quality policy.I have been doing this for about 4 years.
They also get orientation from EHS about our ISO14001 system, and HR policies.

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant
Corey said:
Hello All,

Thoughs..comments..
Thanks,Corey

Certainly, you don't want to invest in much training for someone who may not make it to permanent status.

However, the requirement is that everyone is competent to perform the tasks you assign them to perform. The intenet is to prevent people who don't know how to do a task, performing it and making bad product.

So, IMO, the only bridge between these conflicting goals is to select what training is needed to make a temp competent, allow him to perform within that narrow parameter, and train on broader things later.

You cannot skip necessary training, though your procedure can define that you will fill in the rest later.

Top Bottom