Training Verification by Area Supervisors

T

Tyler C

Fellow Covers,

I know there are several training threads, and I have read through all I could find, but I did not find my specific question.

I have a concern about our training. For reference, when employee A gets trained in area 1, that training needs to be verified that it was effective. In our production procedure, it lists the area supervisors as being responsible for verifying this training, which is fine.

We did run into problem where an employee was trained by a co-worker in the area, and then verified by the area supervisor. When this was put into our training records, we realized this area supervisor was not trained in the area.

So the question is, if the area supervisor is not trained in the area, can that supervisor really verify the effectiveness of the training given to the subordinate?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Ron Rompen

Trusted Information Resource
Re: Training Verification

IMHO, if the supervisor is not trained in the area, how can he be determined to be competent to assess the performance of another employee?

Although your process is (in general) a good one, and the same that many other companies use, there is at least one hole in it.

T

Tyler C

Re: Training Verification

Thank you Ron Rompen. This was my thought too but I wanted to verify that I was heading down the right direction.

I think "if the supervisor is not trained in the area, how can s/he be determined to be competent to assess the performance of another employee?" may be the exact question I use in the next training audit. Thanks for that as well.

E Wall

Just Me!
Super Moderator
Additional food for thought, a lot depends on the nature and size of the organization, as well as structure. So I'll speak very generally here.

Most managers/supervisors evaluate staff which is part of the organizations continued verification of employees/staff effectiveness in performance of their duties. However, the manager would be very hard pressed to be a subject-matter-expert for all the personnel they govern. Supervisors are typically closer, but may be over several areas which also have their own lead men.

I would expect, if the supervisor can compare this employees effectiveness against quantifiable metrics, they don't need to hold the same qualifications (or area training).

normzone

Trusted Information Resource
Here's how we address that in my current theater:

The training record shows who conducted the training, and has a place to reference any appropriate documentation used in training (if any)

At the bottom of the form, there is a three-option spot for the trainer to attest to how they verified the effectiveness of the training:

Test - there is an actual record of the quiz
Question and answer - no details required
Observation - again, no details required. You showed them, then watched them do it

gpainter

Quite Involved in Discussions
IMO it depends on how you have it written and what is effective. On OJT we had it written that the supervisor was the one to sign off for OJT. That could be the direct supervisor, the area manager or the plant manager with a preference to the direct as s/he is directly responsible for the individual.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Sidney Vianna Informational AS13100 A - Delegated Product Verification Training Requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0
Q Competency and Training Verification - Review of employee resume/application ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
R Training Competency Verification - NCR related to Training Effectiveness Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 8
M Audit Criteria Training Materials Internal Auditing 1
B Looking for 10 Internal Audit Online Training Participants ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
optomist1 Informational Training IMDS - Management of Product Chemical Regulatory Compliance RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 2
Anonymous16-2 Labelling Training Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
J Recommendations for online ISO 19011 training? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 6
J Looking for a training organization that can provide in house DFMEA training FMEA and Control Plans 4
A AS9100 Training - Where do I start? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 14
R What's the major difference between Green Belt and Black Belt in term of training and project Six Sigma 3
S ISO 13485 Lead Auditor - Debate between our Quality Team and Regulatory Auditor - Internal Auditor Training ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 17
I Where can I beg, steal (just kidding of course) or borrow good training material on the ISO 9001:2015 standard? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
JAMESH Building a "Lean" Job Shop Training Program Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 0
I Does training have to be written? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
I Root Cause Analysis as Training ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
Q Regulations for Medical Device Kit for Training Personnel? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
S Can we provide training plan as corrective action for IATF 16949 Non conformity? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
S IRCA Lead Auditor training and Exam tips Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
N ... and some have greatness thrust upon them - Training for novice QA manager ? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 6
C Looking for APQP Training recommendations preferably in the aerospace industry APQP and PPAP 2
B VDA 6.3 Qualification as Process Auditor training course and exam VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 0
L Hazardous Waste - Tips for creating standardized training Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 2
R ISO 13485 QMS Implementation Training ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
R How to keep track of employee read-only training ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 13
I "On the job training" as a response to how someone was trained? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 75
J Getting training either from ASQ or from SAI Global - ISO 9001 Lead Auditor training Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
I Date of Quality Management System - Training Records ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 19
R ISO 13485 and QMS related concepts Training - Small medical device startup company ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
R Training Matrix for Document revisions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
I Training records and "grandfather" clauses ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
S Education authority requires approval of all courses - Training services provider ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
S ISO 9001 Clause 8.3 - Design & Development for training course center ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
M ESD (Electrostatic Discharge) Training Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
S Is Annual QMS Training Required? ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
D ISO 9001:2015 Internal Audit Training Advice Internal Auditing 10
C Recommendations for UK-based ISO 13485 internal auditor training ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
A ISO9001:2015 Document control and training aids ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
J Customer VDA Audit - We must provide refresher training? VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 4
T QMS Training for my organization - IATF16949 and also AS9100 or 9145 Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
J Dr Training Records - Training doctors to use a PMA approved medical device Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
A Medical device CER (clinical evaluation report) training/seminar services EU Medical Device Regulations 2
R Addressing training requirements - 21 CFR Part 820.25 (1) & (2) Other US Medical Device Regulations 4
Z Training Qualification Matrix for ISO 9001:2015 Audit General Auditing Discussions 8
I ISO 9001:2015 - On the Job Training and Records Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
I What level of change in documentation requires re-training? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
cscalise Determination of CPD (Continuing Professional Development) hours for a training course Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
L Training Timeliness Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
J Your opinion on the better training org for IATF16949 Internal auditor and Lead Auditor IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
A Who champions your internal manufacturing training? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 7