Transactions under MDR

i all,

I've recently discovered this forum and I think it will be really helpful! I'm starting in regulatory affairs and I have a lot of doubts related with the MDR!!!

This doubt is related with transactions MDR requirements during, for instance, a due dilligence process. I've already posted this post elsewhere in the forum but I do not know if it was the best place to post it.

I do not know if the MDR explicitly describes the requiremens/restrictions for transactions and what the affected companies should consider in this situation. Fom what I know, nothing is stated in the MDR...

Therefore, when a company plans to acquire another one, which main regulatory/legal requirements should be taken into consideration?
For example, is there a way of transferring the NB certificates from the company to the buyer company? Or certificates can not be tranfered and the buyer company should obtain new CE marks certificates?

Another question would be, if a company is planning to acquire now a MD company, could the MDs currently on the market and benefiting of the legacy period until 2024 be transferred to the new company? Which would be the requirements or scenario for a MD to be acquired by a different company and still being able to benefit from the transition period until 2024?

Maybe I can summarise all the avobe in: under which condictions the CE mark can be transferred to the buyer/another company and which transition periods apply to this devices? are there any other requirements that we should consider?

Many thanks in advance for your time!

Best
A.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Ed Panek

QA RA Small Med Dev Company
Staff member
Super Moderator
A change in ownership (Management) would be considered a significant change from my experience to your QMS. It's best to contact your NB and ask them. This is a public document from a NB for example.

Quality Management System (QMS) Change:

New Ownership
New Company Name
Change to scope of Existing Registration
Change in Management Representative
Changes to Quality Manual
Change of EU Representative
Change in Critical Supplier
Relocation of Design or Production activities
Addition or reduction in Facilities

Move to a New Location
Expansion of existing Facility
Elimination of existing Facility
New Location (Please submit GAD-25-01

Dear Arin,

The change of ownership itself would not be an issue, as otherwise stock corporations would have a challenge. But as a result of the acquisition there might be subsequent changes which are listed in Ed's comment.

A CE mark under MDD cannot be transferred. Basically a new certificate or even a declaration of conformity cannot be issued anymore. Therefore you have to keep the current setup. As substantial changes are also not possible, you have very limited flexibility.

The only way is to keep the legal entity of the legal manufacturer as well as the elements as mentioned above consistent. Only non-substantial changes are possible.

Best regards,
Torsten

Hi again,

First of all, thank you both for your responses.

Then, if I understand correctly, a change in ownership would trigger a significant change and the need for the NB to intervene, which would revoke the legacy status until 2024 of a certificate issued under the MDD.

So, what do you suggest in terms of companies planning to acquire a MD-company? You mention that the only way would be to keep the legal entity of the legal manufacturer. Would that be possible in a Merge&Acquisition process?

Many thanks in advance for your responses and your help!

Best regards,

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Calculating Control Limits for nonconformities - 1000 accounting transactions per day Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
D Customer Complaints Formula - Number of complaints/number of transactions ? 100 Customer Complaints 7
A Control of Non-conforming product - Shared services centre processes transactions ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
J Can we register non-device clinical decision support software under draft guidance? Other US Medical Device Regulations 5
L Significant subcontractor update, still under MDD Certification, possible? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
C UDI for consumable/replacement components under the MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 2
R How to obtain OBL licence under Indian MDR, 2017 Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
M Classification of Instruments under EU MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 1
A % of defects on the whole batch based on result from inspection under AQL Level II Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
H Still having trouble as to what equipment falls under 8.5.1.1 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
M Post Market Safety Update Report for devices that will be up-classified under MDR but are currently under MDD EU Medical Device Regulations 6
chris1price Notified Body responsible for product safety under MDD? EU Medical Device Regulations 4
R Revalidation under VDmax25 following material change ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
K Re-packaging under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 3
C Requirements for distributors under MDR: translation EU Medical Device Regulations 0
A Can anyone share a Distribution Agreement template under MDR 2017/745? EU Medical Device Regulations 0
N OBL under the MDR. Which are the obligations of the OEM? EU Medical Device Regulations 0
U Distributor obligations under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 5
M Extension to shelf life of new product under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 1
J Instructions for use for Class I devices under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 1
S Mechanical Test Under FDA Freedom of Information Act Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 5
D Reports under change management | ISO 13485:2016 & ISO 9001:2015 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
J Reusable surgical Instrument is under class IIa? EU Medical Device Regulations 4
V New Product Model CE Mark Certification under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 0
lanley liao How to keep the manufacturing capability under the API monogram Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 6
S Are EC type examinations still being conducted under MDR? EU Medical Device Regulations 5
V Sister companies selling same medical device under different names ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
Sidney Vianna What ISO Standard (under the TC 176) supports the UN Sustainable Development Goal #10? ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 11
J Can signed agreements over-ride review of every "contract" under ISO 13485:2016? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
F Plastics cans shelf life determination under static load Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
L Classification under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 1
K Biological indicator system classification under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 2
K Advertising and promotion of device under investigation China Medical Device Regulations 1
J Is Device Tracking Card an actual requirement under FDA regulation? Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
A First CE-mark class III implantable device under MDD EU Medical Device Regulations 8
M Requirement to manufacture under a quality management system EU Medical Device Regulations 4
K Is UDI (Unique Device Identifier) symbol mandatory under EU MDR? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
B Do IFU designs have to be document controlled under ISO 13485? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
D Does Manufacture can submit CE mark application under MDD with NB for his New product after May 2020? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
K Class III Kit Box - Are translations mandatory under EU MDR? EU Medical Device Regulations 5
H Incomplete IVD kit under IVD Regulation EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M Estimating the benefit-risk ration under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 2
F Is there such a thing as 'Critical supplier' status under the Dept. of Health (UK)? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
I Maintaining Technical Documentation under MDD and MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 1
T API Q1 - Will I be able to maintain Q1 if I have products that fall under 6A Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 5
W Issuing reports under ISO 17025:2017 ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
JoCam Software Translation under MDR requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 6
M MDR - Under what circumstances is a PMCF not required? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
P Adding "new" medical device to existing CER - under MDD CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
K Annex XVI Device Transition Timeline under the MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 2