Transferring AS9100 to new Legal Entity

Hi all!

We are looking at selling our Aerospace manufacturing company. It has been a long run, more than 50 years and 2 generations, but this past 18 months has been tough...

As a small company, a common way to sell is an "asset sale", which the buyer we are working with now requires to complete the deal. In this type of transaction the current company essentially ceases to exist, and the assets (machines, etc...) are sold into a new legal entity. In our case, the buyers are planning to keep the company operating exactly as it is now, same location, same team, same everything, they will even be "Doing Business As" (DBA) the current company name. Only thing that will change is the legal entity will be a new LLC or Corp, and a new owner. The new buyer and I are wondering if anything needs to be done for the AS9100 certification?

Thank you!
M2Imfg

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Trusted Information Resource
Only thing that will change is the legal entity will be a new LLC or Corp, and a new owner.
I've always found that getting the wording precisely right helps to answer the rest of the questions more easily...so let me reword this statement...

"Only thing that changed is that the parts will be manufactured by a different company that is not yet AS9100 certified."
Because of this, Sidney's advice is spot on...getting said AS9100 certification may be easier (or at least faster) if you explain the full situation to the CB.

I never buy companies...I only buy assets (including building, equipment, inventory, IP, employment contracts etc.)...it breaks the liability chain, which I assume from your post is why you're doing it. You need to cert as the new corporate entity you are.

Last edited:
K. Any idea if there will be a
I've always found that getting the wording precisely right helps to answer the rest of the questions more easily...so let me reword this statement...

"Only thing that changed is that the parts will be manufactured by a different company that is not yet AS9100 certified."
Because of this, Sidney's advice is spot on...getting said AS9100 certification may be easier (or at least faster) if you explain the full situation to the CB.

I never buy companies...I only buy assets (including building, equipment, inventory, IP, employment contracts etc.)...it breaks the liability chain, which I assume from your post is why you're doing it. You need to cert as the new corporate entity you are.
Really appreciate this info!

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
by a different company that is not yet AS9100 certified."
I don’t want to overthink this, but let’s remember that the certificate relates to the Quality System maintained by the organization. If no significant changes are expected, then no need for any additional audit. Mergers and acquisitions happen commonly to certified organizations and, some times, no impact on the short term for the certification. Nevertheless, you are required to notify the certification body because that is a significant event to the organization. The new owners might affect the quality system or not. Resources, commitment, management personnel, etc might be impacted or not. Just be upfront with CB and have the necessary dialogue.

Ninja

Looking for Reality
You would know that far better than I regarding the CB.

All the same, when a corporation (a separate legal entity) purchases the assets of another corporation...it is not a merger, and it is not an acquisition in strict sense. It is a whole new organization with it's own name and own EIN number with absolutely no remaining ties to the previous (lest lawsuits or liability follow through).
It is not a new owner of the existing company, it is a new company. It is a new owner of the assets, but quite intentionally NOT a continuation of the corp.

I would like to think it would be easier to recert/newcert since nothing in the real world has changed, but in the IRS world and the legal world...everything stopped under one corp and it went into non-existence...and another corp started which 'just happened to' do the same thing with the same people and the same equipment at the same address.

dwperron

In our case, the buyers are planning to keep the company operating exactly as it is now, same location, same team, same everything, they will even be "Doing Business As" (DBA) the current company name. Only thing that will change is the legal entity will be a new LLC or Corp, and a new owner.

Planning to keep things exactly as they are now sounds great, but in reality the new ownership will be looking out for its investment, and often will make cuts. As a CB you would be asking me to trust that nothing will change, I would need objective evidence that nothing has changed.

I would worry not so much about the quality system rolling over. I would worry about the fact the buyer is taking up the company as an asset sale when clearly it is not an asset sale at all. This makes me question their motives and you may have some concerns regarding liability for actions they take if as you say they will he using your machines making your products under your name with your personnel. I don't know how well you know the buyers but please do some due diligence and background checks good luck

Also take a look at your states corporate laws and make sure both parties are not violating business law. At the very least the new owners will have to make it clear they are not affiliated with you in any way in order to protect yourself and be legal

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Howdy GovLove,
Not sure where you are coming from...but the difference between a sale of a corporation and the sale of assets of a corporation is basically a legal (liability/debt) and taxation thing. Keeping a dba for branding and name recognition is pretty common, both for mitigating customer shock and fear as well as balancing "goodwill" (a financial bucket which can then be depreciated in future years) vs. asset purchase which is a one time expense. The right to use the old name is an asset.

Your concern is valid, but is the same for either type of transition. Both can be "keep doing as is", and both can just as easily be "move all this stuff to our existing facility and fire everyone".

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Transferring ISO 17025 from one company to another ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
H Transferring an ISO 13485 certificate to a new CB - Do I have to start from scratch? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
B ISO 13485 Transferring a product from manufacturing facility 1 to manufacturing facility 2 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
W Transferring epoxy from container to dispenser - Labeling AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
E Pallets need to be changed when raw materials are transferring from WH to MFG area? Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 6
Q Transferring EPA Registrations - Timeline? Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 3
K Transferring Authorized Representative (AR) in Malaysia Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 7
D Transferring Paper Records to Electronic Record Archival Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 4
harrysons Automotive product transferring process what requirement to comply? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
kisxena Transferring a validated software platform to a virtual server Software Quality Assurance 8
K Process Validation - Production Line Transferring to a Different Facility Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 16
J Help me make a judgement about transferring this process Six Sigma 6
K Transferring Calibration Certificates General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
M Can we combine AS9100 and DO-254 certification? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
O Should a Covid vaccine and testing policy be included as part of ISO9001 or AS9100 risk management? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
A AS9100 - 7.1.5.2 In-House Calibration AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 25
H AS9100 D - 8.1.2 Configuration Management for Build-to-Print Service Provider AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
M Lapse in AS9100 Certificate AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
D AS9100 News AS9100 Rev. E? Any news? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
M Software verification and validation AS9100 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
Z AS9100 Control of Nonconforming Outputs - Rework Dispositions AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
briteme4 ASL - AS9100 / Supplier Survey Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3
Crusader AS9100 7.5.2 NOTE Approval methods identified AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
A Can a organization use a disclaimer "pending AS9100 Certification" in Marketing Information? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
R AS9100D internal audit checklist or ISO 9001 2015 to AS9100 D AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
T AS9100 audit due to facility move AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
K AS9100 and ISO9001 together AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 9
M Do AS9100 Registrar Auditors have nonconformity quotas? General Auditing Discussions 45
L Heading dies as "tooling" and AS9100 Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
L Heading dies as "tooling" and AS9100 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
F AS9100 - Validation, FAIR's, ITAR and Sub-Contracting AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
L AS9100 - Product and Service Provision 8.5.1q AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
T Temperature Requirements For In House Calibration - AS9100 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 16
T What does AS9100 mean when it says you must establish a process to do X? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 24
G Tool tracebility and First calibration requirements for aerospace (AS9100) organisation AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
T Internal Nonconformance procedure thoughts (AS9100) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
A AS9100 Training - Where do I start? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 14
SocalSurfer Can you recommend an enterprise QMS for new AS9100 startup AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
L Open Positions During AS9100 Audit AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
SocalSurfer AS9100 new certificate, but need QMS software, help Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 2
C AS9120 or AS9100 Cert pertaining to inventory? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
H AS9100 Checklist for Internal Audit needed AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
hockeyhead Existing process never included in AS9100 scope of certification AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
W Major NCRs within AS9100 - What is the most frequent reason for Major NCRs? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
Q AS9100:2016 D - Intent of 8.4.3 (K) - Implement QMS AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
was named killer AS9100 Supplier Approval Requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
R AS9100 - 8.4.2 - Receiving Inspection Requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
B AS9100 8.4.1 Supplier Selection/Evaluation criteria and reevaluations AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 13
S Effective nonconforming process for AS9100 8.7 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
O Adding ISO 13485 to an AS9100 QMS ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 13