Transferring Calibration Certificates

K

KShannon

Typically we calibrate all of our manufactured products in-house to known traceable standards. We are developing a new product that would have extensive capital costs if we were to purchase the equipment to calibrate it ourselves. We have an equally expensive option to send out each product to be calibrated by a third party. The supplier of the sensor which is the main component in the product can supply us a with a calibration certificate. If we can prove the inherent design of the product in no way alters the performance of the sensor, can we simply translate the sensor calibration data to our own certificate. Incidentally, we will have the capability to check each sensor against other known standards that are approximately as accurate. Unfortunately these other standards do not meet our corporate target of a 4:1 ratio.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
K

KShannon

Sorry for the confusion ... what I want to know is simply whether or not I can transfer calibration test results from the manufacturer of a part onto my own certificate of calibration without duplicating the actual test.

D

D.Scott

IMHO I wouldn't think so. First, if the certificate were from your company, you would be expected to have all the test data and be able to meet all the requirements of 17025 pertaining to the calibration. Your certificate would have to list the name and address of the lab who did the calibration and the location where the calibration was performed.

There could be a way around this but I can't see it. It would seem easier to me to simply supply the sensor supplier calibration with the product. If the sensor is the part that gets calibrated and it is proven by your expensive testing that the calibration isn't changed by your inclusion in a product, why would you re-calibrate it? If there is a doubt as to the state of calibration after you do your part, work with the supplier to establish a method of verification (not a calibration) before the item is shipped.

Down the road when the end user needs to re-calibrate the sensor, who will he call, you or the supplier?

I trust the pros here will put us on the right track if I am wrong here.

Dave

R

Ryan Wilde

Actually, 17025 is very clear in that you must state on your certificate that these tests were subcontracted.

But since you are a manufacturer calibrating product, I doubt that ISO 17025 is what you are trying to comply with, rather ISO or QS 9000 (correct me if I'm wrong). Neither of these standards has any direction involving this particular situation (ISO 9000 defers to ISO 10012, QS9000 requires that any calibration supplier be ISO 17025 [Guide 25] accredited). So I guess what you are stuck with is, if you are:

ISO 9000 registered, prove that it has no effect on the calibration, put it in writing, keep it on file, check it every so often, and document what you are doing;

QS9000 registered, make sure your supplier is either accreditied to ISO 17025 or has a handy dandy OEM waiver that AIAG is so keen on, and again, prove no degradation in writing;

ISO 17025 accredited/compliant/whatever then go through the same proof process, and make sure your supplier is accredited as well, and state on the certificate that "these tests were subcontracted to XXX Inc.", or possibly "these tests were performed by the manufacturer of the sensor", or any wording that clearly states that the calibration was not performed by your company. The reasoning is supposedly to do with traceability.

Hope this helps a bit.

Ryan

K

KShannon

Thanks for the great input. It's nice to see that a common sense approach is potentially allowable (our Engineering staff will be shocked!) For the record, our company is currently seeking ISO9001 registration and will be looking at ISO Guide 25 next.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
H Transferring an ISO 13485 certificate to a new CB - Do I have to start from scratch? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
B ISO 13485 Transferring a product from manufacturing facility 1 to manufacturing facility 2 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
W Transferring epoxy from container to dispenser - Labeling AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
E Pallets need to be changed when raw materials are transferring from WH to MFG area? Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 6
Q Transferring EPA Registrations - Timeline? Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 3
K Transferring Authorized Representative (AR) in Malaysia Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 7
D Transferring Paper Records to Electronic Record Archival Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 4
harrysons Automotive product transferring process what requirement to comply? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
kisxena Transferring a validated software platform to a virtual server Software Quality Assurance 8
K Process Validation - Production Line Transferring to a Different Facility Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 16
J Help me make a judgement about transferring this process Six Sigma 6
G Calibration of "Master Parts" Used as Gauges Calibration Frequency (Interval) 5
R Calibration lab environmental monitoring General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
G Calibration of Rotronic probe but not digital readout? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
F Standard Calibration Procedures: Recommended Practice ISO 17025 related Discussions 0
T Temperature Requirements For In House Calibration - AS9100 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 16
B Gage calibration frequency, ISO and IATF - What are the requirements Calibration Frequency (Interval) 3
Crimpshrine13 Laboratory Scope - Calibration vs. Test Methods - IATF 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
Crimpshrine13 Calibration of pH Meter Probe Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 2
F ESD workbench "calibration" Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
C Correct Calibration Method for Dial Depth Gage General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
F Nist traceable calibration certificates General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
G Tool tracebility and First calibration requirements for aerospace (AS9100) organisation AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
D Calibration of Digital thermometer with surface probe General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
T Calibration or Verification -> Cm and Cmk, etc. Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 3
G Is repeatability required for equipment calibration? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
was named killer AS 9100D - Calibration Instructions - Controlled documents? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
B Photovoltaic Tester Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
B Temperature loop: partial calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
G Glass scale calibration at 74 degrees F? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
A Digital Timer Calibration Requirements General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
Ron Rompen Barcode Verifier Calibration and Use Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 5
S Is Optical Parallel Set required calibration? ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
A Calibration of Power Supplies AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
D Calibration Process Flow Map Example Wanted General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
M Calibration or Verification? What terminology to use ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
N Calibration Requirements for Production Equipment ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
S Calibration Equipment Selection General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
D Sample Calibration SOP for ISO 13485 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
L Calibration of Plug Gauges - Tolerancing General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
L In house calibration - Our CMM's are outside certified can I use them to certify our standards General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
R Standard Filter for Calibration Colorimeter ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
J Documenting a Calibration Interval Extension Calibration Frequency (Interval) 7
F Calibration certificate content - Average Value and True Value ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
B Oscilloscope - AC gain calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
G Is it common to do a repeatability check during calibration of an instrument? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
A Adjustment of Calibration Intervals (Shortening or Lengthen) Calibration Frequency (Interval) 6
A Calibration required by OEM General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
S ISO17020 - Equipment calibration requirement General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
H Can a calibration lab still use ISO 6789:2003 as guide for torque calibrations Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1