Transition to ISO 9001:2000 from ISO 9001:1994

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
The Committee Draft for comment to be issued by mid-August 1998.
The Second Committee Draft to be available in the second quarter of 1999.
The Draft International Standard to be available in the fourth quarter of 1999.
The new Standard is expected to be published in the fourth quarter of 2000.

Like the Y2K 'problem', no one should be able to say they didn't have enough time to address issues.

R

Roger Eastin

Fall of the year 2000! It's amazing that there is so much activity around a standard that isn't going to change for another 2 years!

Marc

Leader
Thanks for the info, J R. By the way - stopped by your company's web site. Very impressive!

Marc

Leader
An FYI:

Subject: Re: Q: Getting Ready for 2000/Russo/Staples
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 09:44:26 -0600

>Could members of the list share with us their specific plans, steps,
>activities, they are now initiating to prepare their transition to the Year
>2000 version of the ISO standards????

Subject: Re: Q: Getting Ready for 2000/Russo/Staples

First: Identify anything that could have any impact on your business due to the year change. Brainstorm with your management group. Someone may know something that others don't.

Second: Prioritize by importance and expense. If the date on something is very expensive to change but the production and quality of the job is not affected, than it may not need to be updated. (i.e., an old, stand alone computer using a DOS program to calculate percentages of something may be expensive to upgrade, (the cost of another computer) but does it really matter?)

Third: On the high priority items, is it less expensive to upgrade or buy new?

Fourth: Implement

Fifth: Test stand alone, test network internally, then test network externally. If you use programs together, test them together. Because there are different ways for a computer tech to "fix the problem," some programs may be OK individually but will not work when you try to use it with another application.

I am not a computer expert, so all of this is general, but I hope you get the main ideas.

Patricia Staples
Quality Manager
Roy Metal Finishing

MacKenzie replies:

My advice is to do nothing. Keep up to date with the changes by all means but do nothing until the standard is published. I know that certification bodies will give clients a year to comply with the new version.

Jim Mackenzie, Consultant, Medical Devices Lead Auditor.

D

Dawn

If QS-9000 registered, what do we have to do to stay in comlpiance? In order to be QS certified, we are ISO certified also.
Will the QS 3rd edition be revised to comply with ISO 2000?

Marc

Leader
If QS-9000 registered, what do we have to do to stay in comlpiance? In order to be QS certified, we are ISO certified also.
You don't register to QS9000, you register to ISO9001. Your cert will have a statement somwhere which will say something like: "With QS9000 additional requirements". You stay certified by having your ISO audits as usual with the additional QS9000 requirements audited at the same time - which they do in a QS audit. But the bottom line is ISO is an international standard you register to. QS9000 is a customer requirement which you request to be audited to IN ADDITION to ISO9001 requirements. In a way it's sorta like you can get a major nonpliance citation for something which is not an ISO requirement if it is a system requirement your company has defined as an internal requirement.

Will the QS 3rd edition be revised to comply with ISO 2000?
God doesn't visit this forum... No - I really don't off-hand know of a defined QS revision cycle (it may be there and I'm unaware of it) and I think one of the issues will be more mixed than we may think. For example, what will be the role of TR16949?

Read that - I'll bet you'll have lots more questions.... Then, either go at it (ask questions) in that thread - or bring them back to this thread - or - start another thread in the appropriate forum!

By the way, anyone heard anything about TR16949 lately?

Marc

Leader
Transition to ISO9000:2000 and the IAF

Subject: FYI: ISO 9000 Transition /Arter
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 1999 16:21:57 -0600

This information was recently distributed by my friends at The Informed Outlook

ISO and IAF Cooperate to Ease ISO 9000 Transition

ISO (International Organization for Standardization) and the IAF (International Accreditation Forum) have launched a cooperative program aimed at ensuring a smooth transition for business and industry to the Year 2000 versions of the ISO 9000 standards. At a joint meeting in Vienna representatives of ISO/TC 176, the ISO technical committee responsible for ISO 9000; ISO/CASCO, the ISO committee on conformity assessment; and the IAF, which is an association of national accreditation bodies from more than 30 countries, economic areas, or regions, the following agreements were reached:

1. Accredited certificates to the new ISO 9001 shall not be granted until the publication of ISO 9001:2000 as an International Standard (ISO 9001:2000 will replace the 1994 editions of ISO 9001, 9002 and 9003. A Draft International Standard (DIS) is due to be released in late November early December 1999. Current plans are to circulate a Final Draft International Standard (FDIS) in the third quarter of 2000 and to publish the new ISO 9001 as an International Standard in the fourth quarter of 2000).

2. Certification/registration body assessments to the latest draft of the new standard may begin prior to publication of the ISO 9001:2000 International Standard.

3. Certificates issued to the 1994 editions of ISO 9001, ISO 9002 or ISO 9003 shall have a maximum validity of three years from the date of publication of ISO 9001:2000.

4. ISO 9001:2000 will require auditors and other relevant certification/registration body personnel to demonstrate new competencies.

5. Certification/registration bodies will need to take particular care in defining the scope of certificates issued to ISO 9001:2000, and the permissible exclusions to the requirements of that standard.

The full communiqué explaining this agreement can accessed on the web sites of ISO www.iso.ch and the IAF www.iaf.nu

Dennis R. Arter

Marc

Leader
Just a 'reminder' post. Any current comments on this post? Dennis cites the 3 years to comply specifics herein.

R

Roger Eastin

I don't have a copy of the DIS. Is there any explanation of what constitutes (in #4),"Auditors...shall demsontrate new competencies"? Is there some sort of exam (like QS9000) for auditors?

Top Bottom