Transition to MDR (EU 2017/745) - I'd like to make an offer

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
Hello all,

I'm interested in getting myself more up to speed with the new EU MDR.

As many of you have done, I've carefully read it and made lots of highlights and notes :tg: But I know from experience that nothing is better than getting to know a regulation through practice, and the more diverse the better.

Now, my impression is that most small- and micro-manufacturers (my natural habitat ;)) are in denial or maybe think that they have lots of time, while they perceive the move to MDR as resource-hungry (I must admit that this notion is not completely unfounded!...). So I don't (yet?) get a lot of requests for help in that regard. I think bigger businesses have already mobilized, but they either "go it alone" with their in-house staff or have pockets deep enough to bring in heavy artillery, i.e. hire a fancy, large regulatory consultancy firm that pretty much does everything for them.

With that background in mind I'd like to make an offer. I'm willing to engage with manufacturers, free of any charge, to look into an MDR gap analysis* or otherwise support them towards transitioning to MDR. The extent / duration of my involvement can be discussed, keeping in mind that the goal is mutual benefit. I'm looking to gain more MDR experience and insight for a diverse range of device types, manufacturing processes and setups, novelty and risk levels etc. There will be no strings attached (unless you choose to tie them).

*) In this context, by gap analysis I mean examining the manufacturer's current regulatory situation and determining - in detail - what they need to do, and how, to get into compliance with the MDR. A "gap analysis" simply comparing the MDD's (old) text with the MDR's is of less interest I think, and of less practical benefit in any given specific context (a crude correlation between the MDD and MDR clauses can be found in the MDR's Annex XVII).

Please feel very welcome to PM me for any clarification or interest.

Thanks,
Ronen.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

EthanLoh

Involved In Discussions
That will depend on your QMS scope.

If you do not performed design and development, then you do not need a full quality management system.

You can exclude clause 7.3 design and development in your QMS.

Wolf.K

Involved In Discussions
You can exclude in 13485 QMS, but in MDR QM requirements?? I heard, that quality manager can be very sure about never having any trouble with not finding a job, but that many many German class 1 manufacturers will get into trouble to fulfill new MDR requirements.

EthanLoh

Involved In Discussions
If you are a class I self-declared medical device manufacturer, it will be business as usual. However, your DoC will need to be revised.
E.g. In the new MDR, QMS + self-declared DoC based on Annex II & III

For an existing class I self-declared manufacturer, the new MDR have very little impact on them.

Companies who have class IIb or III implant devices will have a lot of PMS and PMCF to perform. They will be the one to feel the heat. :notme:

dgrainger

Trusted Information Resource
Hi,
You need to look at Article 10 - General obligations of manufacturers.
Clause 9 states:
"...Manufacturers of devices, other than investigational devices, shall establish, document, implement, maintain, keep up to date and continually improve a quality management system that shall ensure compliance with this Regulation in the most effective manner and in a manner that is proportionate to the risk class and the type of device..."

It then lists the minimum requirements.

Marcelo

Inactive Registered Visitor
Only if the applicable regulatory requirements allow it. On the previous version, only Module D (annex V) permitted this exclusion.

The current EN edition does not seem to have these options (I don't have a full copy of the EN version), so I would say that this exclusion is not allowed.

Hello all,

I'm interested in getting myself more up to speed with the new EU MDR.

As many of you have done, I've carefully read it and made lots of highlights and notes :tg: But I know from experience that nothing is better than getting to know a regulation through practice, and the more diverse the better.

Now, my impression is that most small- and micro-manufacturers (my natural habitat ;)) are in denial or maybe think that they have lots of time, while they perceive the move to MDR as resource-hungry (I must admit that this notion is not completely unfounded!...). So I don't (yet?) get a lot of requests for help in that regard. I think bigger businesses have already mobilized, but they either "go it alone" with their in-house staff or have pockets deep enough to bring in heavy artillery, i.e. hire a fancy, large regulatory consultancy firm that pretty much does everything for them.

With that background in mind I'd like to make an offer. I'm willing to engage with manufacturers, free of any charge, to look into an MDR gap analysis* or otherwise support them towards transitioning to MDR. The extent / duration of my involvement can be discussed, keeping in mind that the goal is mutual benefit. I'm looking to gain more MDR experience and insight for a diverse range of device types, manufacturing processes and setups, novelty and risk levels etc. There will be no strings attached (unless you choose to tie them).

*) In this context, by gap analysis I mean examining the manufacturer's current regulatory situation and determining - in detail - what they need to do, and how, to get into compliance with the MDR. A "gap analysis" simply comparing the MDD's (old) text with the MDR's is of less interest I think, and of less practical benefit in any given specific context (a crude correlation between the MDD and MDR clauses can be found in the MDR's Annex XVII).

Please feel very welcome to PM me for any clarification or interest.

Thanks,
Ronen.
Hello Ronen,

We are a medical barrier clothing supplier. we have never implemented MDD earlier. I need your help as we are very new. I believe we fall in class 1 but not sure which annex. Could you advise me appropriate annex. also, do you have any checklist of essential requirement and any template for Quality management system ?

Regards
Sandy

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
O New MDR 2017/745 Transition Strategy - 2019 Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
J MDD to MDR transition - Time required for the implementation of the MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 7
S MDR consultants - in search of recommendations for a consultant for MDR transition. Paid Consulting, Training and Services 7
K Annex XVI Device Transition Timeline under the MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 2
A How to manage the QMS system and SOP during the transition from MDD to MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 4
T MDR Guidance Book - Useful for MDR transition? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
T Brexit Transition Arrangements & Import into the EU EU Medical Device Regulations 3
B ISO 9001:2015 Transition: Much Easier Than You Think! Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 0
M UDI transition period and implementation EU Medical Device Regulations 6
M Informational The US FDA is Recommending Transition to Duodenoscopes with Innovative Designs to Enhance Safety: FDA Safety Communication Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
S When is the last date for transition to ISO/IEC 80079-34:2018? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 0
K CE mark transition and new regulations CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
Ronen E Informational ISO 13485:2016 Transition Period End - 1 March 2019 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 0
M Medical Device News EU – Transition Timelines from the Directives to the Regulations – Medical Devices and in vitro Diagnostic Medical Devices Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 13
H Transition to ISO 13485:2016 together with ISO 9001:2015 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 12
Ed Panek Transition to IEC 60601 4th Edition - Risk Analysis and test submissions CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
M Medical Device News Health Canada - Medical Device Single Audit Program (MDSAP) Transition Plan Canada Medical Device Regulations 2
M Medical Device News FDA News - 26-09-18 - FDA Reveals Vision for the Transition to ISO 13485 Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
M MDSAP Transition - Health Canada Website Notice on Apr 13 2018 Canada Medical Device Regulations 1
O IEC 60601-1-2 4th edition transition deadline Dec 31 2018 CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
qualprod Transition and recertification at the same time? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
P How To Transition From AS9100c to AS9100 Rev. D AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
A ISO 14001:2015 transition from the 2004 standard ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 8
F IATF 16949:2016 transition audit - Internal Audit Closures IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 13
W AS9120A to AS9120B transition AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
L Transition date to IEC 60601-1-11:2015 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
Q Surveillance Audit of 2008 before Transition Audit to ISO 9001:2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 20
B Going into IATF 16949 transition without Internal Audits IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
pammesue We have done NOTHING toward the ISO 9001 transition ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 19
S Management representative transition checklist IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 7
O ISO 9001:2015 Transition Internal Audit completion thread ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
A ISO 14001:2015 transition audit - Major NC due to the procedure and audit plan ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 10
T ISO 9001:2008 to 2015 transition - How much work to change? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
R ISO 9001:2015 Transition Quality Manual Update - Redundant Content ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
G Upkeep of ISO 9001:2008 during Transition TO ISO 9001:2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
D AS9110 Re-Certification & Transition Audit AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0
S Is there enough time left to transition to ISO 13485:2016 and MDSAP? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
M AS9100 Rev. D Transition Audit - Number of Audit Days AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
G Effect of ISO9001 2015 transition on ISO IEC 80079-34 Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
R Who here is Using a Consultant for ISO 9001 Transition? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
Sidney Vianna One year to ISO 9001 and 14001 transition deadline. ISO & IAF communique' ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
Sidney Vianna IATF bringing stakeholders together to ensure Transition by the 2018-09-14 deadline IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
D Number of Audit Days - AS9100D Transition for a Small Shop AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
Q Presentation for Employees - Starting the ISO 9001:2015 Transition ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
K AS9100 Rev. D Transition - Internal Audits & Gap Analysis Requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 14
M Who has had a Transition Audit from TS 16949 to IATF 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 120
S Question for those who have completed Transition Audit for ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
O Guidance and/or assistance on Transition to AS9100 Rev D AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 11
M Multi-Site Umbrella Certification Transition Plan ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
D Internal Audit During the Transition Period from ISO9001:2008 to ISO9001:2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11