Transitioning to the EU MDR

Philip B

Involved In Discussions
How much of the QMS and technical documentation can be upgraded to MDR requirements now, prior to the implementation date and prior to a conformity assessment? For example, could we replace our essential requirements checklist with general safety and performance requirements now, on the basis that although the MDR is not in force, it does represent state of the art and the requirements are in excess of the MDD? Or does everything have to be created in draft until we transition? Interested in opinions...thanks

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
The MDR is already in force and you may (actually, better) voluntarily upgrade now rather than wait for the last minute.

The MDR is already in force and you may (actually, better) voluntarily upgrade now rather than wait for the last minute.
Well, actually, if his devices are certified under the MDD he still has 4 years to comply to the MDR (depending on the date on the certificate).
Until then, only the requirements regarding vigilance, post-market surveillance, and registration of economic operator have to be fulfilled in order to be compliant with the MDR

Asia78

Involved In Discussions
How much of the QMS and technical documentation can be upgraded to MDR requirements now, prior to the implementation date and prior to a conformity assessment? For example, could we replace our essential requirements checklist with general safety and performance requirements now, on the basis that although the MDR is not in force, it does represent state of the art and the requirements are in excess of the MDD? Or does everything have to be created in draft until we transition? Interested in opinions...thanks
You should do it as soon as possible and ask your notified body to be certified also as soon as possible: they will audit to see you implemented the Mdr requirements in your qms.
If you have not done it yet, you are very late...sorry to say it.
You can use the GSPR for your devices only when you are MDR certified, so you will need to keep in parallelel some mdd and some Mdr (for audit purposes) documents.

Watchcat

Trusted Information Resource
If you are asking us instead of an NB, that's probably not a good sign. (That is sort of a joke.)

As other responses reflect, you could probably get a more helpful feedback if you provided a little more information about the status of your devices with respect to the MDD/MDR, as well as your NB situation. When do you expect to transition your device(s)? By May 2020? Do you have an NB to support your MDD certification? Do you have one to support MDR certification? Same or different NB?

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
Well, actually, if his devices are certified under the MDD he still has 4 years to comply to the MDR (depending on the date on the certificate).
Until then, only the requirements regarding vigilance, post-market surveillance, and registration of economic operator have to be fulfilled in order to be compliant with the MDR
That's why I used the words "may", "better" and "voluntarily", rather than "must" and the likes.
Please note that the OP asked whether, when etc. "they can...", not "they have to..." or even "they should...".
I'm of the opinion that everything in the MDR (including the GSPR, @Asia78) can be used even if you're still going by / certified to the MDD, because in 99% of the cases (if not 100%) the MDR is more onerous and the MDD requirements will be a a subset anyway.

Philip B

Involved In Discussions
Thanks all. To clarify, we are currently under the MDD and are covered until 2022. We have submitted our application to transition to the MDR with our NB and we are on target to transition in June 2020. I'm currently upgrading our QMS and technical documentation in preparation for the transition hence my question. I tend to agree with Ronen that most things can be upgraded now as they will be above and beyond MDD requirements.

Asia78

Involved In Discussions
I agree that all what you do for MDR could be used for mdd. I think it is more the point if you want to use them all...
Example Essential requirements and general safety and performance requirements. The GSPR are much more complex and require more time to be completed. So you really want to do it for all your mdd devices which may stay as such for potentially 4 more years?
It depends on how many mdd devices you have of course and on how much you change them
In my company there is a race between different department on developing new features and planning released before may 2020. If I start asking to follow GSPR they will probably start shooting at me

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
I agree that all what you do for MDR could be used for mdd. I think it is more the point if you want to use them all...
Example Essential requirements and general safety and performance requirements. The GSPR are much more complex and require more time to be completed. So you really want to do it for all your mdd devices which may stay as such for potentially 4 more years?
It depends on how many mdd devices you have of course and on how much you change them
In my company there is a race between different department on developing new features and planning released before may 2020. If I start asking to follow GSPR they will probably start shooting at me
Where there's a choice, I agree that each manufacturer should carefully consider whether to apply MDR provisions, on a case by case basis.
I only intended to reply to @Philip B that (IMO) there's nothing stopping them from implementing the MDR right away, if they choose to.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Plea for advice on transitioning between Notified Bodies (label updates) Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
S ISO 9001 Audit Observations - Transitioning my career into auditing Career and Occupation Discussions 16
R Transitioning to ISO 13485:2016 from EN ISO 13485:2012 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 14
Sidney Vianna IAEG Guidance Document to assist Aerospace Organizations transitioning to 14001:2015 ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 0
M IQRM Software - Transitioning from Excel based FMEA's FMEA and Control Plans 3
howste ASQ is Transitioning to Computer Based Exams ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 13
R Training to Effective Documents - Transitioning to Agile Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
O Transitioning Locations into a Multi Site ISO 9001 Registration ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
M Transitioning from ISO 9001:2008 to AS 9100C AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 5
N Transitioning from ISO 9001:2008 to ISO 13485? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
P Transitioning to AS9100 Revision C - Where to start? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 11
V Transitioning from cGMP to ISO Systems Career and Occupation Discussions 1
A Transitioning from ISO 9001:2008 to ISO/TS 16949:2009 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
M Surveillance Audit - AS9100 rev B Transitioning to AS9100 rev C AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 13
A Transitioning from ISO 9001 to ISO/TS 16949:2009 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 38
T Documentation Pyramid - Transitioning from one document control system to another Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
L EMC Engineer in a Test Laboratory Transitioning into Quality - Looking for Guidance Career and Occupation Discussions 4
J Transitioning from ISO 9001 to CFR - Recently transferred to a Pharma company Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 9
P ISO/TS16949 Lead Auditor requirements - Transitioning from QS9000 to ISO/TS16949 General Auditing Discussions 6
Q QS9000 Tier 2 for 12 Years - Transitioning to ISO9001 - Where do I start? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 25
S Process Centered vs. Functional organization - Transitioning an Organization ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
L Gap analysis within our ISO9001 system - Transitioning to TS 16949 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
T Transitioning from ISO 9001 to TS 16949 - Where to start and what to do? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
O Transitioning from QS-9000 to ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
S Do I need to change my SOPs? Transitioning to ISO 9001:2000 from the 1994 version ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
N Quality Procedure numbering - Transitioning Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
Sidney Vianna Transitioning from ISO 14001:1996 to ISO 14001:2004 ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 9
J Transitioning from ISO9001 to TS16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
D Transitioning from QS-9000 to TS 16949 - How long will it take? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
Claes Gefvenberg Was transitioning to ISO 9001:2000 worth it? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 22
RoxaneB Lack of Registration Body Consistency in Transitioning ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
M Transitioning to ISO 9000:2000 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 21
Marc Transitioning to ISO 9001:2000 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
H MDD CM, MDR manufacturer. 2020. Is it ok? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M MDR, RED and LVD - Should our device comply with them? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
E UK MDR brexit out of sync with EU MDR deadline? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
S MDR Delay - MDD design Change? (before new MDR DOA) EU Medical Device Regulations 8
S Class I MDR Article 10 – QMS EU Medical Device Regulations 1
dgrainger Medical Device News MDR postponed - link to Official Journal of the European Union (24-4-2020) EU Medical Device Regulations 2
K Supply Agreement Regarding MDR 2017/745 - Manufacturer-supplier cooperation Other Medical Device Related Standards 0
Ed Panek Medical Device News MDR Delayed 1 year (Posted 4/2020) EU Medical Device Regulations 9
dinaroxentool Former Class I device that is upscaled to IIa if the MDR is delayed EU Medical Device Regulations 2
B FDA-Medical Device Reporting (MDR )procedure compliant with 21CFR section 803 US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
J PPE, the MDR and EU 2016/425 EU Medical Device Regulations 4
R An indication that the device is a medical device (MDR, Annex 23.2q) - applicable for accessories? EU Medical Device Regulations 5
R Clinical evaluation without clinical data - MDR Article 61(10) EU Medical Device Regulations 1
dgrainger Informational Postponement of MDR - adopted by the Commission - April 2020 Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
R Applicability of new non-harmonized standards (MDD/MDR) EU Medical Device Regulations 8
F The EU Drafts Bill to Postpone MDR by a Year (3/2020) Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
T Commission proposal being drawn up for postponement for date of application of MDR (2017/745) EU Medical Device Regulations 7