Travel in Hawaii, and moving to Honolulu

john.b

Involved In Discussions
This won't be useful to so many people here related to work, but some might be curious how late-stage pandemic and economic impact have affected Hawaii. My family just moved from Bangkok to Honolulu, or at least that's in progress, with both kids having lived and went to school here for over a month. I'm still sorting out the main detail, employment, but working remotely from another country, for now.

Tourism is back, of course. Someone intimately familiar with the local industry, a real insider, would know how the numbers go, or if hotel room pricing ever fully recovered. I can only add that Waikiki looks a bit busy, and some restaurants seem full. At a guess it's not where it would've been pre-pandemic, and room rates never really recovered. That's a complete guess, since I'm trying to peg how limited demand shift affects that factor, and guessing out visitor demographics as an indicator based on memory from a long time ago, 15 years back, when I went to grad school at UH Manoa.

It's possible to still see a good number of vacant businesses; that's another indicator that the ramp-up isn't complete. Homelessness is on a completely new level since my school days, back in 2008. That's seemingly a recent change, but I'm not sure what that means, and discussion goes in a lot of directions. The local rumor / urban myth version is that people or government agencies in the mainland give free airline tickets to homeless people to "live in paradise," essentially to just go away. That sounds unlikely, but maybe. The strange part of that shift is that there were obviously mentally ill local homeless people 15 years ago, but there are several times over their earlier numbers now. How could that change so fast, if they were already here earlier on?

A related part I can't stop considering, but of course can't place, is if tourists seem different to me, if different nationalities, class levels, or sub-culture groups are more represented. I'll be blunt about one obvious change: a lot more visitors are black. As a liberal I can't read into that too much; it could mean a lot of different things, and I'm not hasty to apply judgment. One local rumor I've heard related to how different class ranges of people "discovered" Hawaii when covid era crashed tourism, causing radical discounting. If you visit the large, mainstream, above average cost hotels everyone looks the same to me, white, old, and out of shape. Often enough it seems like grandparents visit with teen grandchildren, or plenty of older people travel alone.

Japanese tourism seems to have been impacted; their economy hasn't been so strong for awhile. Of course Chinese tourism ended, but that was probably early in building up in 2008, when I was here, or maybe Hawaii never became a popular destination. There are a lot of nice beach areas to visit back in Asia, and Japan had their own connection with Hawaii, for whatever reasons.

It's hard to get this to overlap with travel recommendations. Hawaii is what it was, nice beaches, a fantastic environment, in either really crowded and developed areas (expensive), or in more isolated settings (even more expensive). We've been in other areas in Oahu since coming here, most of them, as it worked out, and the impact or change seems less significant there. Local people either had the financial stability to stick around and maintain their earlier lives or else could've left. Or some are those homeless people now? The local homeless camp on the far Western shore, where that had been most of it before, looks like I remembered it, as far as counting tents indicates population. Other small rows of tents in Honolulu are new.

The people are fantastic here; I'd like to end this on a positive note. Often that range of "aloha spirit" local themes ends up not meaning much, if you are a relative outsider, but not here, plenty of people are living that out. Until you give them a reason to see you as an ungrateful guest, but it's best to never go there, to join in that spirit instead of opposing it.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Travel in Thailand status, Aug 2022 Travel - Hotels, Motels, Planes and Trains 3
A Labeling Requirements for Medical Device Travel Case US Medical Device Regulations 9
B When Travel is allowed - Where are you going? Travel - Hotels, Motels, Planes and Trains 22
A Managing overseas travel risks to food handlers Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 3
M Does ISO 10993 Apply to Packaging? (e.g. Travel Case) Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
J Travel in Asia - 2016 - 2017 Travel - Hotels, Motels, Planes and Trains 3
L Travel - Route Finder Map HD app After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 2
Hershal Travel! Where have you been of late? What did you see? What do you think? Travel - Hotels, Motels, Planes and Trains 15
A Business Travel - What do you do "after work" while traveling on business? Travel - Hotels, Motels, Planes and Trains 28
J Travel guidence requested - JFK - Providence, RI Travel - Hotels, Motels, Planes and Trains 6
G ISO 9001 Implementation in a Travel Agency ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
Marc Has the 2009 Swine Influenza (Flu) changed your travel plans? Travel - Hotels, Motels, Planes and Trains 22
Stijloor The Golden Age of Travel Travel - Hotels, Motels, Planes and Trains 29
D Managing Hotel Services and Selling Travel Tickets - Excluded ISO 9001 Clauses ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
D Key performance Indicator - Travel @ Tourism ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
D An important travel tip Imported Legacy Blogs 4
Marc Why Do You Travel for a Living? Travel - Hotels, Motels, Planes and Trains 20
Marc Size of Portable Computer Screen for Travel and Why? Travel - Hotels, Motels, Planes and Trains 19
N Personal Business Software to Track Expenses - I.e. Travel and Business Expenses Career and Occupation Discussions 10
Randy I Hate Winter Travel Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 21
P Question about High School Student Travel Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 11
Marc When you Travel, While you Surf the Web, Who's Surfing You? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
Marc First-Quarter 2006 Air Travel Price Index (ATPI) Up 10.3 Percent from Q1 2005 Travel - Hotels, Motels, Planes and Trains 0
F Travel Expenses for Assessors - Registrar states we pay "reasonable travel expenses" Registrars and Notified Bodies 27
D How are service processes monitored? Travel, Tourism & Hotels Services Service Industry Specific Topics 13
D ISO 9001:2000 in Hotels Travel & Tourism ‎Fields ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
Marc Hotels and Flights - Do you use a travel agent or do you book online? Travel - Hotels, Motels, Planes and Trains 11
R Travel to China - What should I know? How should I prepare? Travel - Hotels, Motels, Planes and Trains 39
H Flow chart to show the various paths a job can travel - Seeking Advice Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
H Any ISO 9001 consultants/auditors in Oahu, Hawaii ? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
Marc Parents lose custody after naming girl 'Talula Does the Hula From Hawaii' World News 8
Marc Earthquake of 6.6 Magnitude Shakes Hawaii - Expectations? World News 1
A Moving from AC7004 to AS9100D AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
H FAI Requirement After Moving CNC Machine? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 15
A Quality's Authority - Company Moving In ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 17
B Cl. 9.2 - Moving parts - Applicable only to machinery? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
D Quality plan for moving locations ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
qualprod What do CB´s change when doing a partial moving ? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
S Earthing of moving parts, designing tips IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
S How MR (Moving Range) in Z-MR chart is calculated Using Minitab Software 5
A Moving and positioning of patient - Mechanical hazard IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 18
D Company Moving - Relabelling Question Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
Jen Kirley Moving on - I accepted an offer to be a Supplier Quality Engineer at GE Healthcare Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 42
S Moving from client-server to cloud-based, is that a new submission? Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 3
M How to calculate benefits? Moving some developed non controlled software/automation systems Service Industry Specific Topics 2
Ed Panek Moving from Contract Manufacturing to Production In-House ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
supadrai What to expect when moving to higher-risk medical devices? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
F It is acceptable moving remote locations staff to manufacturing plant for auditing? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
N How is documentation affected moving to an electronic system? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 13
L Moving from ProArc to IFS Document Management Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1