Trip to the USA - Must-Eat Food? Holiday Planning

P

Peter West

Dear Coveists

It has been a few months since here due to implementing an ERP in our Middle East and Indian offices, yet I reach a point where I am allowed some holiday.

My friends are going Vegas so I have decided to fly from Dubai there toward the end of May....now the question is,,,I like my food, and having watched too many of those Man Vs Food, i have a hankering for proper US hot dogs, sandwiches, brisket and bbq.

Do I fly to New York and head south to check out Nashville and some BBQ diamonds on the way, or should I look more to the West and travel around San Fran and that end for some innovative and classic USA eats?

Very flexible as its a one-a-2-year holiday and have a couple of weeks to play with. Was hoping to get to see the community feel of smaller towns, the fairs/festivals etc...(gleaned from all the films I watched as a kid). Not particularly fussed with touristy stuff as find real life more interesting.

Anyone out there have any tips or suggestions?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
G

GoKats78

Re: Trip to the USA - Must Eat Food? Holiday Planning

BBQ...The Lexington
101 West Center Street Extension
Lexington, NC 27295

BBQ Mecca

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin

There are countless styles of hot dogs from the Chicago Dog (with sport peppers) to the Southern Dog (chili sauce and slaw). Check out Man vs. Food Nation for a Milwaukee version.

BBQ varies a lot across the regions from southern pit BBQ, Memphis style to Texas style.

The BEST places are not big name chains, but are small hole-in-the-wall places such as seen on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives.

You best bet is to ask locals in the city that you are in.

Randy

Super Moderator

1st...Vegas ain't the United States it's Vegas and that means "Getcha there, getcha drunk, getcha money, getcha gone"

2nd....TEXAS and get some FRIED PICKLES w/ Ranch for dipping

3rd....ARKANSAS - Fort Smith....Neumeiers Rib Room on Garrison Street

P

PaulJSmith

Have to agree with Miner. When I travel in the US, I always try to eat at local places. Ask around where ever you are, and choose from the variety of responses. No matter the city, there will be certain places nearly everyone recommends.

Enjoy your travels!

S

silentrunning

Spend a day in Chicago eating pizza. Chicago has some of the best pizza parlors in the world. After that go to the Carolinas for BBQ. They really know how to fix it right.

P

palmer

On BBQ I have to disagree some.

Carolina seems to like vinegar base in their BBQ, if that is your taste, go for it.

Sweeter BBQ is best in Kansas City, although Arthur Bryant's is vinegar based and was PResident Harry S. Truman's fave besides Dixon's Chili

My Kansas City faves are

Smokehouse BBQ
Zarda's BBQ
Gate's BBQ

There are a couple of out of the way places in the metro area that were on man vs food regarding BBQ.....

Minsky's pizza was rated something like 23rd in the nation on Zagat's food rating.....

Gojo's is awesome japanese food, not pricey, more food than you can eat, and the chef's put on a show while cooking in front of you.

Hereford House has awesome steaks.....

Dang.... my mouth is watering

:drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:

Michael_M

Trusted Information Resource

1st...Vegas ain't the United States it's Vegas and that means "Getcha there, getcha drunk, getcha money, getcha gone"

Vegas is "in" in United States, kind of like the weird uncle 'is' part of the family :lmao: Of course, I live in Northern Nevada so my prejudice is based solely on the fact that Vegas gets all the attention.

Note that Vegas is the King of Buffets. Not sure if it still this way, but a few years ago you can get an all you can eat seafood dinner for about $5.00. I am not sure if Vegas (in the middle of a desert) should be king of seafood but.....

May should be nice, Vegas should only be about 85 about then. Avoid July/August when it's 105 degrees.

Last edited by a moderator:

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Staff member
Super Moderator

Spend a day in Chicago eating pizza. Chicago has some of the best pizza parlors in the world. After that go to the Carolinas for BBQ. They really know how to fix it right.
Chicago doesn't have Pizza. They have a casserole with pizza ingredients. Which is good in it's own way...
But New York has PIZZA.
The farther away from NY Metro Area you are, the worse the pizza gets. ;)

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Staff member
Super Moderator
Las Vegas is worth seeing. And visit Hoover Dam while you're there.

My favorite city for barbecue has been in Memphis, TN with the Raleigh, NC area a close second.

I'd go like this:
NY for haute cuisine, Baltimore for crabs, Raleigh, NC for barbecue, Memphis,TN for more barbecue, New Orleans for Cajun and Creole and zydeco music, Texas for BEEF, to Las Vegas for cheap buffets and losing money.

And as long as you're going through the south have biscuits and gravy for breakfast every.single.day that you're there.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Q FDA 3500A Reports - Trip and Fall - Weight scale with a fold out platform Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
K Trip to Shropshire, UK - What to do whilst there Travel - Hotels, Motels, Planes and Trains 12
D Toronto Trip - Any suggestions from the locals for things to do? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 25
Claes Gefvenberg Vacation trip over.... Imported Legacy Blogs 5
Claes Gefvenberg Vacation trip Imported Legacy Blogs 2
A Life on the Road - The worst business trip of my life Travel - Hotels, Motels, Planes and Trains 34
D Does anyone think that Trip Reports should have ID numbers? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
Marc Trip Planning and Packing Your Suitcase - What do you take? Do you have a Check List? Travel - Hotels, Motels, Planes and Trains 16
Jim Wynne Baggage handler takes an unexpected trip World News 5
Q Private Labeler FURLS Responsibility-USA 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
D Interesting Discussion Requirements for selling a Food product in USA Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 0
D Requirements for Ingredients or Actives in the USA US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
D Not a SaMD - How to be submitted for marketing authorization in EU and USA CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 5
P Is there a counterpart to the General Safety and Performance Regulations for the USA? Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
Sidney Vianna Interesting Discussion The proliferation of Accreditation Bodies in the USA ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 7
Sidney Vianna Interesting Discussion Legal compliance as part of ISO 45001 accredited certification. Major OSHA penalties in the USA. Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 15
J IMDS for Trucks in USA as a requirement RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 1
C Exporting Demo Medical Devices from USA Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
M Medical device package insert in EU and USA Japan Medical Device Regulations 2
M IAS (USA) Accreditation with IAF for ISO 13485 Logo Confusion EU Medical Device Regulations 10
C Excel date format from Denmark to USA Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 6
H ISO/IATF Internal Auditor Recommendations For Manufacturer In California, USA Internal Auditing 3
S Dates on Labels acceptable to the USA - GS1 General Specification 3.4.4 Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
Sam Lazzara USA Federal Court Upholds Copyright Protections for Standards Organizations Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 3
B FDA Listing of a Class I Medical Device in USA (Manufactured in China) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 10
F Seeking Internship/Co-op Opportunities in Regulatory Affairs/QA/Clinical Domain (USA) Career and Occupation Discussions 4
Q CB (most preferred in USA?) ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
R Due Diligence - IGC USA - Anybody know anything about them? Registrars and Notified Bodies 8
C Service and maintenance in an initial importer facility USA 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
J What are the regulatory requirements to sell a Class II Medical Device in USA? Other US Medical Device Regulations 7
D What are the requirements for selling Alcohol Swabs in USA 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
Q VDA 6.3 Training in USA VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 2
M Does a Company need a US Agent although the Company has affiliated company in USA? Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
Q Relabeler EU from USA CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 7
Marc USA to insist on pre-flight mobe power probe Travel - Hotels, Motels, Planes and Trains 3
Ronen E Online resource for USA cities historical weather observations Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 2
A How many laboratories are accredited to ISO 17025 in the USA? ISO 17025 related Discussions 5
A Looking for an ISO 9001 Registrar in Bucks County, PA, USA Registrars and Notified Bodies 2
S Nationwide (USA) Calibration Service Provider Reccommendations wanted General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
A Guidance for Cleanroom Qualification and Validation relevant for EU and USA ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
R Should the USA and Canada merge? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 34
W What Information is provided when Importing Products into USA US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
AnaMariaVR2 Warning ? Don?t Confuse ?Made In USA? And ?Inspected By FDA? With Patriotism US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
Antonio Vieira What are the Tax Rates in the USA? Career and Occupation Discussions 17
G Labeling Requirements - Medical Device is Rx in USA, non-Rx in EU 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
L Australia/Canada and USA v's EU Medical Devices Regulations Comparison Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 4
W Medical Agency Label - A handshake, USA, printed over a US flag ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
G Can a Distributer in USA sell a medical device (CE marked) to Europe? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
S USA Standard Performance For Salmonella In Poultry Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 2
S Per Man day rate for Qualified TS Auditor in USA and UK ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3