True Position Measurement

Hi all,

I'm fairly new to GD& T and trying to wrap my head around measuring position tolerances. I understand how to measure the tolerance if given an x,y dimension but how would I check the position callout highlighted on this print clip? A is a threaded hole but for the sake of simplicity assume it's just a bore. No CMM, just standard tools. I've come a long way teaching myself the majority of mechanical inspection but true position is something I'm struggling with, have reached out to many an engineer and even machinists who can't seem to explain actually checking it. All the literature and videos I watch give examples of say a hole position tolerance, with x,y dimensions to the center. I understand that. It's when diameters are called out is when I get lost. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Cari Spears

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Take your deviation in X and square it; take your deviation in Y and square it; add them together and find the square root of the sum; multiply by 2. It's the Pythagorean theorem X2 - you're finding the hypotenuse of a triangle and doubling it to get the diameter.

Attachments

Last edited:
I know the formula, and I understand the tolerance zone is circular now. I just don't understand the measurement to take. Since these two points align on X, would my X deviation be 0? And I just measure the deviation in Y and plug it into the formula?

Ron Rompen

Trusted Information Resource
You have potential deviation in both X and Y axes from the datum - even though there is no B and C datum features, you can still 'assume' an alignment, and measure in the two (X and Y) axes.

Thank you, yes looking at my question I wasn't clear on what I was asking. I'm confused because there are no basic dimensions called out that I can see, so was struggling to find the actual "true" position to check deviation from.

GRP

Involved In Discussions
Hi all,

I'm fairly new to GD& T and trying to wrap my head around measuring position tolerances. I understand how to measure the tolerance if given an x,y dimension but how would I check the position callout highlighted on this print clip? A is a threaded hole but for the sake of simplicity assume it's just a bore. No CMM, just standard tools. I've come a long way teaching myself the majority of mechanical inspection but true position is something I'm struggling with, have reached out to many an engineer and even machinists who can't seem to explain actually checking it. All the literature and videos I watch give examples of say a hole position tolerance, with x,y dimensions to the center. I understand that. It's when diameters are called out is when I get lost. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
In case it helps, I always liked this website True Position (not affiliated, no promotion intended)

Eredhel

Quality Manager
Slightly off topic but I'm digging this thread for learning stuff. When using the AS9102 FAI form, it requires the positional results to be recorded when using a CMM, not just a tolerance or pass/fail result. Fortunately Zeiss Calypso software makes that easy, it's just an option and then the X, Y, & Z results are displayed.

I'm learning all this the, somewhat, old fashion way with mics, comparators, height gauges etc. I have zero experience with a CMM, hopefully soon though. I can see where they'd help drastically on more complex functions of gd&t. It's been rough figuring it all out on web forums, YouTube, and the like on my own. But I think I'll appreciate it more when it becomes second nature.. And when I'm using cmms and software thinking back on my early struggles!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Minitab Type 1 Gage Study on True Position Question Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 1
was named killer AS9100 FAIR - True Position hole out by .0011" on 50 parts AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 11
P True Position vs X and Y Dimensions Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
Q How to perform Process Capability for true position Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 10
M True Position / GD&T - I'm staring at this drawing and I'm lost Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
N True Position of slot Boundary with MMC Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
J True Position Question Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
M Measuring the True Position of a Cylinder's Pierce Point Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
M True Position and MMC (Dilemma Between Engineers) AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 3
S Tab to circle True Position? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
S GD&T Callout for Diametrical True Position Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
M Zero Tolerancing on True Position using MMC (Maximum Material Condition) Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
M Surface Profile and True Position Question Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
D True Position with 1 hole (Datum B) at the Radius Part Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
L GD&T Bonus Tolerance - Checking True Position of a Pierced Hole Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 9
C Using a Pin Gage to check True Position of Inline Holes, Design, Tolerance. Etc Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
C Checking True Position with Pin Gage Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 3
Frank T. How could this Hole Diameter and True Position problem have been Detected & Prevented Nonconformance and Corrective Action 27
J Multiplane True Position Calculations Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
Y Using PC-DMIS to measure True Position of the teeth of a Spline Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
L Calculation of True Position of Slots (GD&T) Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
J How to measure the True Position on an Optical Comparator Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
K Using True Position to Control Symmetry Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
K True Position Checking such as Bolt Hole Position w.r.t Center Bore on Wheels Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 9
M GD&T - True Position Callouts for Sections of Studs Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
J GDT True Position Secondary Callout Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
J True Position with only 1 Datum - Referenced datum is the plane the hole is on Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 17
M True Position of a Hole Capabilty - Appropriate parameters to use Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 5
K Understanding True position - Drawing Feature Control Frames - ANSI Y14.5 Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
CycleMike Positional callouts on this print - GD&T true position question Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 15
J True Position of slots that have angles as basic dimensions Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
Q GD&T True Position interpretation - True Position FCF on a B/P Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 9
B Calibration of Home Made Gages - Simple go/no-go gages to true position gages General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
C True Position Question - What does this print callout mean? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 12
Q GD&T True Position structure Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
N How to Calculate a True Position on a Square Slot - GD&T Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 9
H History of True position formula Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
B True Position without tertiary datum? Establishing a proper rotation Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 12
E Capability study on true position callout. What would be the upper and lower spec? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
A Bidirectional True Position Tolerance Call-Out for Holes for Process Capability Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
S Ppk/Cpk for geometrical true position of hole with MMC Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 15
G GD&T Help (Y14.5M-1994) - True position callout box on two dowel holes Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 16
J GD&T - True Position - "Boundary" under the feature control frame General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
D Procedure for Fixture Gages that check True Position of holes General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
M How to calculate a True Position toleranced at MMC - Capability of True Position Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 12
D Cpk for one sided dimension - GD&T true position Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 15
F Calibration certificate content - Average Value and True Value ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
A True purpose of doing EST (Electrical Safety Test) on medical device Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
M Proper Gauging - GD&T - Attribute gage to check true positioning on the shop floor Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
Marc The Strange & Curious Tale of the Last True Hermit Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 0