True root cause in a corrective action process - How do you know?

I

Intesar

i would like to share this file with you>>> it helps me alot

i think many of you know it

Attachments

• 8D Form.doc
    764 KB · Views: 1,645
O

ogihara

I have seen a few ways to get to the bottom of issues that’s cause problems but if you can turn the problem ON or OFF your close.

Go With Plan - Do - Act - Check Check Check confirm the issues that have been identified as been the root cause are fixed and maintained put checks in place to confirm this .

Robust process = Mistake proof , Training to standard work , audit standard work daily.

Just my opinion

I come from a Japanese company where A3 problem solving is used I worked in QA background and my thought process has changed since working and studying the Japanese approach to problem solving I was all 8D etc before , how long to close 8d i.e. complete the paperwork

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
Welcome to The Cove ogihara! :bigwave:

That was a good first post - I look forward to hearing some more abotu what you learned in your travels.

J

JaneB

I would spend time training people on how to write a good problem statement. Too often the nonconformance is documented like a narrative in a novel that makes it very confusing to really understand what the problem is. Without a good problem statement, its very likely that you will conduct a thorough investigation on the wrong problem, so no matter how much training you provide on 5 whys, you will never get to the real root cause.

I agree - first step is to understand the real problem. Otherwise there's a strong risk of heading off in/flinging resources at the wrong issue.

I'm having a bit of trouble, for example, understanding why or how training in K-T would be used to address problem-solving difficulties... my understanding (& experience) is in seeing it used to select rank & select vendors & their solutions.

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin
I'm having a bit of trouble, for example, understanding why or how training in K-T would be used to address problem-solving difficulties... my understanding (& experience) is in seeing it used to select rank & select vendors & their solutions.

By K-T, do you me Kepner-Tregoe? If so, Kepner-Tregoe originated the Is/Is-Not Analysis in their book "The New Rational Manager" back in the 1980s. See this thread for more details. Ford worked with Kepner-Tregoe during the development of the 8D method, but had a falling out. The Is/Is-Not Analysis was retained to help develop a detailed problem description and aid in testing the potential root causes.

After this, Kepner-Tregoe branched out into other areas such as you described.

S

SriramNZ

Yes, I had meant Kepner-Tregoe, and specifically the Problem Solving & Decision Analysis modules of the methodology.

We recently had the workshop, and felt it was a very easy, logical and structured tool that helped us get a clear Problem statement. And as others have been mentioning that is half the battle won..

Will be intersting to see if the KT projects we have identified result in clear root causes..

Top Bottom