Trying to develop ISO 9001 training for a newly certified company

R

Ringer

I am trying to develop ISO 9001 training for a newly certified company. They aren't used to dealing with quality systems. I'm wondering if anyone has a power point presentation that is somewhat interesting or any funny cartoons or slides to keep people from falling asleep? :sleep:

Thanks,
Ringer

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

GStough

Staff member
Super Moderator
Re: ISO 9001 training

Hi Ringer, and welcome to the Cove! :bigwave:

There are several ISO 9001:2000 PowerPoint presentations in the Post Attachments List (see green bar link at top of this page) which may be suitable for your needs. At least they would make good building blocks for you to customize.

Good luck! :)

J

jelsdonheight

I'm currently developing the same thing for my company....a reminder I received here was that no matter what you put on the slides it's the words/me which engages the trainees.

No pressure to be wonderful huh? lol

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin
I'm currently developing the same thing for my company....a reminder I received here was that no matter what you put on the slides it's the words/me which engages the trainees.

No pressure to be wonderful huh? lol
That's the darned truth.

I remember my science teacher as a high school freshman, oh so many years ago. His lectures about forces of nature involved all manner of their effects of an outhouse; he would draw this out, complete with the little sliver moon cutout on its side, on an overhead projector and he made them funny.

Now I do not know about any of my fellow students because I can't poll them, but I can tell you that he is one of only a tiny number of teachers that taught lessons I can remember now. And it was because of the outhouse drawings that I remember.

And so, having earned teaching certificates myself, I can tell you that such visual humor is one gold-plated way of getting points to stick. Another way is to make the points seem important to the students in some direct way. That means getting to know who they are (or their jobs at least) before the lesson and directing the lesson to them--or at least in their language.

A good instructor needs to be quite the chameleon at times, and good teaching is often a large part theater.

Sounds like work doesn't it? The reward is enjoying the teaching experience, unless you enjoy sounding like Charlie Brown's teacher (and having the same effect): "Bwah bwah, bwah bwah, bwah bwaahhh."

J

jelsdonheight

Hey there Jennifer, I was just perusing your cost of quality file....great resource!!

So now may I ask...how the heck do I become interesting? I really don't want these people to dread coming into my sessions for training....any tips?

BradM

Staff member
Admin
Hey there Jennifer, I was just perusing your cost of quality file....great resource!!

So now may I ask...how the heck do I become interesting? I really don't want these people to dread coming into my sessions for training....any tips?
As will be obvious shortly by the declined quality of my post, I'm not Jennifer :D. I do say I want to thank you for asking about giving a good presentation. There are a LOT of people who are giving presentations who could stand to give it some more time.

Remember your audience is a very critical component. Who will be sitting there? What is their need? Why would they care about ISO?? How does it impact what they do everyday?

Have a multiple choice contest; have fill in the blank sheets to do with the presentation; present what happens without quality. Possibly use Enron or Tylenol as an example of good/bad quality systems. The Peter Pan example may spark good discussion.

Think of what your personal strengths are, and develop to that. You have a captive audience, and a good opportunity to disseminate a good understanding of the system and it's benefits. Maximize it!!

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin
Brad has given advice that I would struggle to improve upon. :applause:

Think about the person you'd want to back away from at a party. What should he/she be doing differently to be more engaging and/or appealing?

What makes a person dull? A lack of imagination in conversation? Apparent lack of care as to what the listener feels is important to them?

What makes a person a turnoff? Insensitivity to the listener on a personal level? Rambling, straying from the subject, pontificating, forcing the subject, declaring themselves the only true or valid authority? Mumbling? Failure to meet the listener's gaze?

These are all aspects that a good instructor/speaker will address. I submit that we can all come up with specific aspects of poor training. Avoiding repeating them is a step toward correction.

Brad is right to consider your audience first. I recommend assembling the listeners into like-groups so they will be more comfortable with each other, and you can apply the right language to each.

Some people will be fascinated by goofy visual displays of things done poorly. I expect the line workers would more likely appreciate this kind of humor.

Top managers, on the other hand (unless they came up through the ranks perhaps) would probably be more interested in cost benefits, increasng market share and avoiding problems with regulators. Your talks about quality programs (ISO is just a template for the quality program) could include stories about how other companies enjoyed big profits from doing things well. For such stories, mine the Baldrige award winners at this site. Sometimes you can find easily quotable sources like this one if you know what company to Google.

You might also tell them that making a functioning QMS isn't a certain path to utopia--problems can still come up, especially if there are suspicious dealings. See this article for an example.

I hope this helps!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T PFMEA for Heat Treat Service Provider - Trying To Develop RPNs FMEA and Control Plans 11
D Trying to develop a written procedure for Gage R&R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
G Trying to get a financially reasonable ISO Certification Body Registrars and Notified Bodies 7
Skooma Receiving Inspection - Boss trying to save money AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
M Error trying to Start a New Thread Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 2
N Student trying to apply Lean Six Sigma on a Construction project in my thesis Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 3
S Beginner trying to OEM a medical device - Branded Electric Acupuncture Pen EU Medical Device Regulations 3
K Trying to figure out what satisfies a few aspects of IEC 62304 IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 2
I Trying to explain some of the Management Review Inputs (AS9100D) Management Review Meetings and related Processes 10
S Trying to understand 7.2.1(d) of ISO 13485 - Medical Device User Training ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
M Help trying to explain accuracy procedure General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
A Supplier trying to avoid RMA's Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 11
K Auditors are trying to drive this business General Auditing Discussions 36
P Value Stream Mapping - Trying to do Value Stream Mapping of our Products Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 3
M Trying to take current documentation and put it into ISO forms Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
J Trying to determine whether a steel plate is bowed with a Faro Arm Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 8
B I'm trying to write detailed Customer Service Work Instructions Customer Complaints 10
Mikishots Trying to locate a LEGIBLE MIL-STD-105E copy Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
A Trying to fit a GLM - Minitab 16 negative Error df Using Minitab Software 4
2 Trying to Implement a Manufacturing Engineer Concept to my Company Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
P Trying to figure Minor ? on Female Rolled Threads Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 1
E Our Lean Initiative Manager is trying to eliminate Final Inspection Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
Jen Kirley Trying to back up a dead hard drive - how to do it? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 17
D Medical Device Packaging - Trying to learn Technical files EU Medical Device Regulations 4
Jim Wynne The Buell Blast: Trying to Make Chicken Salad out of Chicken Poop Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 1
A A Quandary - Trying to do everything on a shoestring - Out The Door Numbers Career and Occupation Discussions 11
J Measuring Technique - Trying to measure on-time delivery turnaround Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 13
W Controlled Documents - Trying to differentiate document control levels Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
R Trying to decipher drawing - Hole Size Manufacturing and Related Processes 12
A CFO trying to turn Quality procedure for Purchasing into a purchasing manual ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
N Cost of Rejected Components - Trying to pokayoke a process Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 1
O ANOVA Analysis - Trying to understand MSA analysis- Please review my spreadsheet Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 22
S Trying to find the actual ISO 17025:2005 standard requirements ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
H What I am trying to find is someone that remembers Memphis in the nineties Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 10
V Minitab Pareto - Trying to plot a relation of Count and Cycle Time Using Minitab Software 5
L Kanban cards - Trying to initiate a true Pull System - Fastener Products Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 3
ScottK The Berry Amendment (Imposed by 10 U.S.C. 2533a) for DoD parts - Trying to decipher Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 7
J Food Allergen Awareness Training - Trying to implement cGMP Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
T Internal QMS/ISO 'Contest' - I am trying to come up with a new awareness contest ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
B Attribute MSA calculation - Trying to find a form or software Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
J Analysis of Service life, Design life and Storage - Trying to find an example report Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 2
Marc American alligator vs. Burmese python - Python Bursts After Trying to Eat Gator Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 7
P Trying to automate analyses of data from production process using Quality Analyst Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 1
C CE mark - Trying to determine if our product needs CE approval CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 8
S Novice quality manager trying to get AS9100 certification AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 32
G Trying to find CAS numbers - The Database of chemical substance information IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
C API Q1 Quality Manual Example - Trying to convert an existing ISO 9001 QMS Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 30
G I am Lost - Trying to implement an ISO 9001:2000 QMS ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 20
M BMW and MG Rover Customer Requirements - Trying to make a matrix Customer and Company Specific Requirements 6
R Trying to find an ISO 17025 accredited testing laboratory to verify our test results ISO 17025 related Discussions 14