Trying to develop ISO 9001 training for a newly certified company

R

Ringer

I am trying to develop ISO 9001 training for a newly certified company. They aren't used to dealing with quality systems. I'm wondering if anyone has a power point presentation that is somewhat interesting or any funny cartoons or slides to keep people from falling asleep? :sleep:

Thanks,
Ringer

GStough

Leader
Super Moderator
Re: ISO 9001 training

Hi Ringer, and welcome to the Cove! :bigwave:

There are several ISO 9001:2000 PowerPoint presentations in the Post Attachments List (see green bar link at top of this page) which may be suitable for your needs. At least they would make good building blocks for you to customize.

Good luck! :)

J

jelsdonheight

I'm currently developing the same thing for my company....a reminder I received here was that no matter what you put on the slides it's the words/me which engages the trainees.

No pressure to be wonderful huh? lol

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
I'm currently developing the same thing for my company....a reminder I received here was that no matter what you put on the slides it's the words/me which engages the trainees.

No pressure to be wonderful huh? lol
That's the darned truth.

I remember my science teacher as a high school freshman, oh so many years ago. His lectures about forces of nature involved all manner of their effects of an outhouse; he would draw this out, complete with the little sliver moon cutout on its side, on an overhead projector and he made them funny.

Now I do not know about any of my fellow students because I can't poll them, but I can tell you that he is one of only a tiny number of teachers that taught lessons I can remember now. And it was because of the outhouse drawings that I remember.

And so, having earned teaching certificates myself, I can tell you that such visual humor is one gold-plated way of getting points to stick. Another way is to make the points seem important to the students in some direct way. That means getting to know who they are (or their jobs at least) before the lesson and directing the lesson to them--or at least in their language.

A good instructor needs to be quite the chameleon at times, and good teaching is often a large part theater.

Sounds like work doesn't it? The reward is enjoying the teaching experience, unless you enjoy sounding like Charlie Brown's teacher (and having the same effect): "Bwah bwah, bwah bwah, bwah bwaahhh."

J

jelsdonheight

Hey there Jennifer, I was just perusing your cost of quality file....great resource!!

So now may I ask...how the heck do I become interesting? I really don't want these people to dread coming into my sessions for training....any tips?

BradM

Leader
Admin
Hey there Jennifer, I was just perusing your cost of quality file....great resource!!

So now may I ask...how the heck do I become interesting? I really don't want these people to dread coming into my sessions for training....any tips?

As will be obvious shortly by the declined quality of my post, I'm not Jennifer :D. I do say I want to thank you for asking about giving a good presentation. There are a LOT of people who are giving presentations who could stand to give it some more time.

Remember your audience is a very critical component. Who will be sitting there? What is their need? Why would they care about ISO?? How does it impact what they do everyday?

Have a multiple choice contest; have fill in the blank sheets to do with the presentation; present what happens without quality. Possibly use Enron or Tylenol as an example of good/bad quality systems. The Peter Pan example may spark good discussion.

Think of what your personal strengths are, and develop to that. You have a captive audience, and a good opportunity to disseminate a good understanding of the system and it's benefits. Maximize it!!

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
Brad has given advice that I would struggle to improve upon. :applause:

Think about the person you'd want to back away from at a party. What should he/she be doing differently to be more engaging and/or appealing?

What makes a person dull? A lack of imagination in conversation? Apparent lack of care as to what the listener feels is important to them?

What makes a person a turnoff? Insensitivity to the listener on a personal level? Rambling, straying from the subject, pontificating, forcing the subject, declaring themselves the only true or valid authority? Mumbling? Failure to meet the listener's gaze?

These are all aspects that a good instructor/speaker will address. I submit that we can all come up with specific aspects of poor training. Avoiding repeating them is a step toward correction.

Brad is right to consider your audience first. I recommend assembling the listeners into like-groups so they will be more comfortable with each other, and you can apply the right language to each.

Some people will be fascinated by goofy visual displays of things done poorly. I expect the line workers would more likely appreciate this kind of humor.

Top managers, on the other hand (unless they came up through the ranks perhaps) would probably be more interested in cost benefits, increasng market share and avoiding problems with regulators. Your talks about quality programs (ISO is just a template for the quality program) could include stories about how other companies enjoyed big profits from doing things well. For such stories, mine the Baldrige award winners at this site. Sometimes you can find easily quotable sources like this one if you know what company to Google.

You might also tell them that making a functioning QMS isn't a certain path to utopia--problems can still come up, especially if there are suspicious dealings. See this article for an example.

I hope this helps!

Top Bottom