TS 16949 Clause 7.3.6.2 - Prototype Programme, Requirements Scope?

morteza

Quite Involved in Discussions
Hi all,
Do all requirements stated in clause 7.3.6.2 are related only to prototype? I.e. is an organization allowed to exclude all requirements stated in clause 7.3.6.2 when there is no customer requirement for prototype building?
Overview:
A requirement in this clause is about performance tests which usually are necessary for validation of product. Most organizations do these tests for validation (7.3.6) even though there is no customer requirement for prototype.
Another requirement is about outsourcing. You may outsource your product (or process) validation activities such as performance tests. Even though there is no customer requirement for prototype
Thanks all

howste

Thaumaturge
Hi all,
Do all requirements stated in clause 7.3.6.2 are related only to prototype? I.e. is an organization allowed to exclude all requirements stated in clause 7.3.6.2 when there is no customer requirement for prototype building?
My interpretation is that it's only related to prototype. If the customer does not require it, then the whole clause can be excluded. As you mentioned though, if you do product design, the verification and validation activities still must be done.

rickmcq

Inactive Registered Visitor
Hi all,
Overview:
A requirement in this clause is about performance tests which usually are necessary for validation of product. Most organizations do these tests for validation (7.3.6) even though there is no customer requirement for prototype.
Another requirement is about outsourcing. You may outsource your product (or process) validation activities such as performance tests. Even though there is no customer requirement for prototype
Thanks all
My understanding is that 7.3.6 and all of it's sub-clauses also apply to the development and validation of the manufacturing processes. How can your customer not want a prototype to validate not only their own design but also the processes you are going to use to make the part?

Rick

howste

Thaumaturge
My understanding is that 7.3.6 and all of it's sub-clauses also apply to the development and validation of the manufacturing processes. How can your customer not want a prototype to validate not only their own design but also the processes you are going to use to make the part?

Rick
This should be fully addressed in the next clause, 7.3.6.3 Product approval process. This is all about ensuring that the manufacturing process produces the desired product, whether you call it prototype or not.

morteza

Quite Involved in Discussions
Hi all
Thanks for your answers.
My idea is that the two last paragraphs (requirements) of clause 7.3.6.2 are independent from prototype building requirement.
Any other idea may help to clear this topic.

howste

Thaumaturge
I don't see how they can be considered independent of the prototype requirements if they fall under the heading "Prototype programme."