TS 16949 Clear Choice For Automotive Suppliers

A

Avogel

In the Oct. issue of Quality Progress the artical " ISO/TS 16949 the Clear Choice For Automotive Suppliers"
It is written " Companies that want to register to TS must have a customer that requires it and must supply parts or finishing services to that customer."
Where is this written in the ISO/TS 16949 specification?
Currently none of our customers have formally asked us to be certified by this spec., does this mean that we can not get certified?
Sorry if this has already been discussed, if so just link me to it so I can read it.

T

tomvehoski

I have a client in the same situation - they chrome plate but do not plan on going after "car" parts at this time. They will most likely be doing work for Harley Davidson which we are conisdering "automotive". If necessary we will get a letter from Harley stating they "require ISO 9001: 2000 or ISO/TS 16949". I understand being on a bid list with auto companies will also let you qualify.

The intent is to get rid of the companies that do not have anyting to do with automotive parts production. There are some engineering, trucking, etc. companies that have QS but don't make parts.

Tom

S

Sam

If you can satisfy the requirements and the system is effectively implemented then you can attain TS certification.
The question is; if your customers do not want TS why would you?

A

Avogel

Sam, You said, "If you can satisfy the requirements and the system is effectively implemented then you can attain TS certification".
If you were right then why would ASQ's Quality Progress magazine say different?

You asked “if your customers do not want TS why would you?� All I said is that, so far my current customers have not formally asked us and this does not include companies we quote to. If we didn’t obtain this cert. any potential customer that would require it from their suppliers may look elsewhere.
Plus, I want to go to my current customers with something with a little more authority than an article from Quality Progress. If they are going to require it from us I would like to start planning.
Thanks for you input.

T

tomvehoski

Section 1.1 of TS coveres the "making parts" requirement "This technical specification is applicable to sites of the organization where customer-specified parts, for production and/or service, are manufactured."

I have not seen a formal, written statement from the IAOB or ISO that says your customer must mandate the standard. I have heard that the rules for registration will require this, but the final draft I have does not state so.

I very much doubt a registrar is going to turn down the chance to make extra $$$ for a TS instead of ISO 9001 audit, unless it is a blatent violation of the "valued added manufacturing/service" provision.

Avogel - Are you currently QS certified? Are you responsible for PPAP, control plans, FMEA and all of the other automotive related requirements? If so I would say that you are a perfect canidate for TS. If you have never had to do the above, it is probably not required and you are better off with ISO 9001: 2000.

S

Sam

"Sam, You said, "If you can satisfy the requirements and the system is effectively implemented then you can attain TS certification". "

Sorry this was misleading. My train derailed and I didn't finish the thought process. I meant to include satisfying the requirements of the "Rules for Acheiving IATF Recoginition. (see below)

"If you were right then why would ASQ's Quality Progress magazine say different."

Refer to the "Rules for acheiving IATF recognition"
Para 1.5 - The scope of certification shall include all products supplied to customers subscribing to the certification to ISO/TS 16949.
By this definition, if you do not supply products to a Customer that requires TS then you can not be registered.

Sorry for the confusion.

Top Bottom