TS 16949 Internal Audit Scheduling - Seeking Advice

S

Sandra Shepard

Audit Scheduling

I have read through many of the Auditing posts and haven't found anything on this particular subject.

How do you document the QS 9000 (also TS 16969) requirement to:

"schedule audits on the basis of the status and importance of the activity to be audited"?

Because we have a strong Quality Management System and very few minor findings during internal audits and continuous assessments by our registrar, our internal audits are performed only once a year. This includes each manufacturing facility and support activity. Each is important to the organization. The audit frequency can be increased based on customer complaints, etc.

I have been asked by external auditors to "beef-up" how we document this "status and importance of the activity" requirement because we really don't specifically address it.
Although it has never resulted in an audit finding, it could.

Suggestions??

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
R

Randy Stewart

Put it in writing!

Sandra,
Ask yourself what will work within your system and see what can be found as to evidence. It may be as simple as adding a box to the non-conformance or review that states simply "Add to audit frequency list" to showing that the n/c was reviewed during the internal audit and no repeats were noted. All they want to do is to ensure that if something big did happen that you have a means to increase the amount of audits or reviews in that area. From what you have stated in your post I don't see where it would require you to change the way you do business or change your system.
If you noted the same type failure (late shipments) 9 times in a quarter wouldn't you look into it??? Just make sure your system allows you to do that, and that it will be documented.
:agree:

Z

zhugxian

Audit Scheduling

Good day,

Just get the relevant departments Head to conduct a "FMEA" on their key processes and hightlight the areas most likely to give problems. Based on that info, schedule for audits more frequently.... ;) objective evidence is demonstrated for the auditors...I mean for your organisation overall improvement... cheers

T

tomvehoski

Sandra,

One thing I have added to my audit process is a summary sheet for each "area" audited. This could be a part of the standard, process, department, procedure or whatever - however you want to audit your system.

I use the summary to put the good and bad into one page, with nonconformances attached. To beef up the requirements you mention, I added a "Overall Status" ranking to be completed by the lead auditor. It is a 1 to 10 scale saying how the audit area went. If everything was perfect, they get a 10. If a few minor issues, 6-8. Nothing in place = 1. I also put a "recommended next audit" mark. This will be directly related to the overall ranking. If they got a 10, I might recommend a year. If a 3, two or three months. Management gets the final say on the schedule - it is just a recommendation.

Seems to help my clients plan a schedule. I have used it with several auditors and registrars and they seem to think it is a good idea. I couple have "borrowed" the idea.

Don't forget you will also need to address other impacts, such as nonconformances and corrective actions. If customer complaints spike in one area between audits, you should probably pull that audit forward.

Hope this helps,

Tom

Crusader

Trusted Information Resource
Audit importance

This works for us:
We are audited 2x/year by UL. There are 4 elements of QS that UL audits every audit: 4.1, 4.2, 4.14, and 4.17. We audit every element 1x/year except for those 4, which are audited 2x/year just prior to the UL audit. Elements needing attention are noted in the audit reports and a follow-up audit/date is documented in the report. That is how we set our importance.

UL likes it - we're all happy.
UL is very cool - love them to death!

Lee
:)

M

M Greenaway

Also an ISO9001:2000 requirement.

One method might be to Pareto your complaints by process, then audit the worst offending process more often.

If of course you have no complaints and no audit findings you either already have an excellent system, in which case drop audit frequency back to two years, or your audits and/or complaints gathering is ineffective.

Crusader

Pareto method

As a matter of fact, I keep track of all findings by element and look for problem areas/trends on a monthly basis. I have had to increase audting as a result. I don't want to decrease any audits - I like to keep us on our toes and ready for our 6 month surveillance audits. We typically have 5 findings every time we're audited by UL. (They really have to search to get them.)

Thanks,
Lee :bigwave:

C

C Emmons

We just passed our first half of our transition audit. To address this area, we have a sheet at the end of the audit report that states Based on the results of this audit, it is suggested that this facility be audited in:
30 days
60 days
90 days
6 months
1 year.

They are then added to the exisiting audit schedule. Worked fine for us.

Russ

Quite Involved in Discussions
We have done much the same thing in tracking increased audit needs. I have added a checkbox and question at the end of the checklist which asks if "As a result of this audit, do you believe this area needs increased auditing?". We have just started using this to gather more input for increased needs. I will then adjust the schedule accordingly and note that at the end of the yearly6 schedule.

Crusader

Audit frequency

This is a great idea - is this something that TS 16949 requires?? I know I will have to transition soon but I have not looked at the requirements for TS yet.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Does anyone have an excel IATF 16949 Internal Audit checklist I could use? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
V IATF 16949 9.2.2.1 Internal Audit Program - "Process Changes" IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
Ashland78 IATF 16949 Internal Audit Checklist Manufacturing and Related Processes 11
T Example wanted - Template for internal audit IATF 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
H Do you have to perform an full internal prior to IATF 16949 audit? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 21
F IATF 16949:2016 transition audit - Internal Audit Closures IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 13
A IATF 16949 - 9.2.2.1 Internal Audit Programme - looking for example IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
B IATF 16949 Cl. 9.2.2.1 - Internal audit program - Types of evidence Internal Auditing 1
D Please share your IATF 16949 Internal Audit Plan and Schedule Internal Auditing 13
P IATF 16949 - Internal Audit Frequency Requirements Internal Auditing 2
X Internal Audit Trainer Qualifications Requirements (TS 16949) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
F ISO/TS 16949 internal audit scope and annual plan Internal Auditing 2
D Internal Audit Checklist for the latest ISO/TS 16949 standard IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
M Sample questionaire for Internal Audit TS 16949 for R&D and Market Analysis Internal Auditing 2
M TS 16949 Clause 8.2.2.4 Internal Audit Plans - Requirement Scope? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
Q Interpretation of 8.2.2.4 Internal Audit Plans in ISO TS 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
F Changing the Frequency of Internal Audits - ISO/TS 16949 Internal Audit Requirements Internal Auditing 5
Q Internal Audit Program for ISO TS 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 15
T ISO/TS 16949:2009 Internal Audit Requirements - Your Interpretation Internal Auditing 31
T TS 16949 Internal Audit Effectiveness Defined Internal Auditing 5
P ISO/TS 16949 Internal Audit Requirements Internal Auditing 9
I Remote Location Internal Audit Requirements - TS 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 16
Q MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) Internal Audit checklist vs. TS 16949 Internal Auditing 4
A Online Internal Audit Refresher Training - TS 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
Stijloor Online Internal Audit Training for ISO/TS 16949:2002? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
P Internal PPAP Audit - What should I ask? Plastic parts (automotive) TS 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
Q Offsite ISO TS 16949 Internal Audit Training - Pacific Northwest including California Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
D What is the TS 16949 Stage 1 Audit Requirement on Internal Audit? Internal Auditing 16
T Supplier Control in TS 16949 - How to spice up my Internal Audit questions IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 13
tony s TS 16949 Internal Audit Trainer Traceability to IATF General Auditing Discussions 6
Howard Atkins What does the internal audit procedure for TS 16949 need to include? Clause 8.2.2 General Auditing Discussions 7
M Internal audit checksheet for TS 16949 that covers a complete system audit? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 11
S TS 16949 Clause 8.5.2 Audit Nonconformance for not issuing internal CARs IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 14
C Audit Differences - Process, Product, Internal? (4 questions) - TS 16949 General Auditing Discussions 7
E ISO/TS 16949 Internal Audit requirements for shifts Internal Auditing 10
F TS 16949 - Clause 8.2.2 - Internal Audit Internal Auditing 2
S TS 16949 Interpretations: 8.2.2.4 Internal Audit Plans Internal Auditing 9
J TS 16949 Internal Audit Guidelines Internal Auditing 1
T Developing TS-16949 Internal Audit Schedule - Seeking Example and Advice Internal Auditing 9
S Examples of Internal Audit Schedules for TS 16949 Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
P TS 16949 Internal Audit Requirements - What to cover in each shift? Internal Auditing 13
A TS 16949 Implementation - Example of gap analysis or internal audit procedure Internal Auditing 11
R TS 16949:2000 Internal Audit Checklist Internal Auditing 4
D How to Conduct a TS 16949 Internal Audit - Can I Use a Check List? Internal Auditing 10
M Tips on preparing for IATF 16949 Internal Lead Auditor exam Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
M IATF 16949 7.2.3 Internal Auditor Competency - Trainer's competency Internal Auditing 7
S IATF 16949: Is "Certified" Internal Auditor mandatory? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
J IATF 16949 CAR - Internal Auditor Requirements IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 15
H Internal laboratory scope requirements - IATF 16949 Cl. 7.1.5.3.1 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
B Going into IATF 16949 transition without Internal Audits IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4