TS 16949 Registration - 90 day sister company registration requirement?

J

josianna

90 day sister company registration

All,

We are cuurently going through a preassessment audit with our registrar. We have just been informed that if we distribute fully assembled "pass through" parts, the sister company we get them from must be registered to TS within 90 days of us. Of course they may be shipping "pass through" stuff from another sister company which would then have to be registered within 90 days! This could have a HUGE domino effect possibly meaning that 40 companies worldwide would have to be registered within 90 days of one another!

Is this really correct? Is there no way around this????

Please help! :confused:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
R

Randy Stewart

Who is doing your preassessment? It sounds to me like your customer is talking. I would ask to see the written requirement for the 90 time limit and what happens if your sister company doesn't make it.

howste

Thaumaturge
Super Moderator
I agree with Randy. Find out where the requirement is. TS 16949 requires that suppliers be certified to ISO 9001:2000, not TS. Really it sounds to me like this should fall under outsourced processes, but I don't see a 90 day requirement anywhere. I even checked Ford, Chrysler, GM, and Delphi customer-specific requirements...

J

josianna

Our registrar is UL. Our auditor called back to her office to confirm the 90 day rule and was told that this is indeed the case. It seems almost impossible to comply with!

howste

Thaumaturge
Super Moderator
To me that's not an acceptable answer from them. Their office doesn't make the rules - they need to show you the where exact requirement is. It needs to be in the standard, the customer-specific requirements, or in UL's contract with you.

Cari Spears

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
howste said:
To me that's not an acceptable answer from them. Their office doesn't make the rules - they need to show you the where exact requirement is. It needs to be in the standard, the customer-specific requirements, or in UL's contract with you.
No kidding!! As she stated in her first post - this could be a huge issue with 40 companies worldwide!

Josianna - is it possible that some misunderstanding is happening? Did she perhaps get the impression that they are multiple sites under the same registration?

Howste - does the 90 day rule apply to that scenario? I have been away from the automotive industry for the last three years.

If TS requires suppliers to be ISO - maybe the auditor meant that the supplier/sister company would need to be ISO registered within 90 days.

howste

Thaumaturge
Super Moderator
Cari Spears said:
No kidding!! As she stated in her first post - this could be a huge issue with 40 companies worldwide!

Josianna - is it possible that some misunderstanding is happening? Did she perhaps get the impression that they are multiple sites under the same registration?

Howste - does the 90 day rule apply to that scenario? I have been away from the automotive industry for the last three years.

If TS requires suppliers to be ISO - maybe the auditor meant that the supplier/sister company would need to be ISO registered within 90 days.
I couldn't find any 90-day rule, unless it's talking about the 90 days in which corrective actions must be resolved? This is specified in the IATF "rules" document.

Here's about the only scenario I can think of that might apply here: They perform the audit and find that supplier(s) are not 3rd-party registered to ISO 9001:2000. They write a nonconformity, which must be resolved within 3 months (90 days). The only way to resolve it would be either certification of the supplier(s) or to have waivers from all customer(s) involved with the affected product(s).

If this is the situation, then the only "out" is an agreement from the customer(s) that supplier certification is not necessary.

From TS 16949:
7.4.1.2 Supplier quality management system development
The organization shall perform supplier quality management system development with the goal of supplier conformity with this Technical Specification. Conformity with ISO 9001:2000 is the first step in achieving this goal.
NOTE The prioritization of suppliers for development depends upon, for example, the supplier’s quality performance and the importance of the product supplied.
Unless otherwise specified by the customer, suppliers to the organization shall be third party registered to ISO 9001:2000 by an accredited third-party certification body.
From the "Rules" document:
For each nonconformity the Organization shall perform a root cause analysis and define corresponding corrective actions to be implemented as soon as possible, in any case within three months from the end of the site visit.

Cari Spears

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
howste said:
Here's about the only scenario I can think of that might apply here: They perform the audit and find that supplier(s) are not 3rd-party registered to ISO 9001:2000. They write a nonconformity, which must be resolved within 3 months (90 days). The only way to resolve it would be either certification of the supplier(s) or to have waivers from all customer(s) involved with the affected product(s).
Thanks howste. Because they are a supplier, not because they are sister co.'s. And registered to ISO - not TS? That would make sense then.

josianna - be sure to let us know how this unfolds! And if you don't mind - could you post the exact wording of the finding from the auditor when it is written up? This would help anyone who may be able to help you to answer a corrective action request if howste's scenario is what has happened. Good Luck!

RoxaneB

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
My organization is ISO 9001:2000 so I don't know how relevant this is, but we also distribute product from our sister companies. Our way around is that we "buy" it from them...WE are the Customer. WE have requirements.

Our sister companies are our on Approved Vendor List and are treated like all our other suppliers. We have indicated the method used to get them placed on the Approved Vendor List and their products/delivery are monitored for compliance. If we do not like their product, we complain and are entered into the Customer Complaint system (rather nice since I have access and I can see if the other facility is treating us in an effective and timely manner ;) )

J

josianna

Thank you for your help everyone. We are trying to get some clarification/ something in writing from UL. I'll let you know what happens.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Reaction Plan To Drive suppliers to IATF 16949 registration IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
J IATF 16949 registration - Major Nonconformance Finding IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
L Revocation of TS 16949 registration IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
M Rules for achieving for ISO/TS 16949:2002 Certification (Registration) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
G Implementing TS 16949 - Registration Requirements IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
B Registration - Integrated TS 16949 and ISO 14000 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
S Adding an additional site to our current TS 16949 registration scope IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
P General queries on TS 16949 Registration - Software Services IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
G 90 days after TS 16949 Registration/Certification Audit to receive certificate? Registrars and Notified Bodies 30
R Does a completed PPAP have to exist for TS 16949 registration IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
Q Is ISO 9001 registration a prerequisite for TS 16949 certification? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
M Example Letter of Acceptance to Supply w/o TS 16949 Registration IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
Q ISO TS 16949 Registration for a Satellite Site IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
A Changing the Registration Scope - No More Automotive Products - TS 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
J Getting Employees Ready for TS 16949 Registration Audit - Training Materials IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
W Effect of Major and Minor NonConformances during Registration audit - TS 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 22
J CS2 (Controlled Shipping Level II status) and TS 16949 Registration IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
D TS 16949 Registration - Is this an automotive mandate? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
S Internal Auditing Requirement for TS 16949 Certification (Registration) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
D TS 16949 registration (certification) audit and the findings IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
R Is TS 16949 Third-Party Certification (Registration) on the way out? Registrars and Notified Bodies 4
A Looking for advice about going for TS 16949:2002 Registration IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
B Accreditation to TS 16949 - How to word our Registration Scope IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
T TS 16949 registration in eight months IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 14
D What do we need from the customer requesting TS 16949 registration from us? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
I TS 16949 Registration Audit Complete!!!!! IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 14
D TS 16949: 2002 section 7.6.1 - MSA non conformity at registration audit IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
K Scope Of Registration To TS 16949 - Need help in determining IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
D Limiting TS 16949 registration scope - Heat Treating facility IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
E TS 16949 Registration Audit - Successful! IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 14
Icy Mountain A TS 16949 Implementation through Registration Project Diary - Automotive IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 97
P Which Organizations can obtain Certification/Registration to ISO/TS 16949:2002? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
D TS 16949 Clause 7.4.1.2 Supplier QMS Registration Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2
R TS 16949 - Do our primary operations require registration? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
S TS 16949 - Separate Site Registration IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
S Successful TS 16949:2000 Registration Audit IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 17
K TS 16949 Clause 7.4.1.2 - Supplier Development and ISO 9000 Registration Requirement Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 22
R Pack & Ship Company - What registration? ISO 9001:2000 or ISO-TS 16949 or Other? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 4
A Are Unions Helpful To and ISO 9001 or TS 16949 Registration Process Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 14
E TS 16949 auditor registration scheme General Auditing Discussions 4
K Should we move from QS-9000 to ISO / TS 16949 Registration? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
earl62 What is the best way to control special characteristics in Control plan? Is it Mandatory to have SPC for IATF 16949? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
L IATF 16949 certification costs IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
B FCA US Customer Specific IATF 16949- Critical Characteristics 8.6.2 Customer and Company Specific Requirements 0
B IATF 16949 News Six month extension on all valid IATF 16949 certs IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
earl62 IATF 16949 Clause 9.1.1.1 - What is the batch conformance to specification method? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
B FCA US IATF 16949 Customer Requirements updates Customer and Company Specific Requirements 3
S Can assembly manufacturing sub-supplier be certified IATF 16949? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
D IATF 16949 Requirement for CMMI in a Global Company Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 0
M Tips on preparing for IATF 16949 Internal Lead Auditor exam Manufacturing and Related Processes 1