Search the Elsmar Cove!
**Search ALL of Elsmar.com** with DuckDuckGo including content not in the forum - Search results with No ads.

TS 16949 Requirements for Timely Review of Engineering Specifications

S

Stepbosq

Hi all!
ISO/TS: "
The organization shall have a process to assure the timely review, distribution and implementation of all customer engineering standards/specifications and changes based on customer-required schedule. Timely review should be as soon as possible, and shall not exceed two working weeks"​

this topic has been mentionned several times, but an additional question arises: how to make sure that the INPUT comes at the right time?
Some of our OEM customers do send a change notice to their Q-interlocutors at each supplier, then we have to download the mentionned standard and review it :agree1:
But the majority of them do not infor their supplier about any change, so that acc. to the ISO/TS the supplier has to check by himself if the standard has been updated... actually fast every day, if we want to keep the 2 weeks leadtime for the review:bonk:. If we consider that dozens of customer technical standard are applicable to our delivered product, we would need a full employee just to make the checks :frust:
Most companies I used to work with are of course used to check the validity of the relevant engineering specifications at each new RfQ, but usually the update of a technical standard is ignored for serial products as long as the customer has not made an official RfQ to change them!

I am very interesting in a constructive Brainstorming of ideas on how to deal with this "timely review"...

antoine.dias

Quite Involved in Discussions
IMO for this requirement you have to get a "customer required schedule" from your customer.
The schedule should indicate what has to be implemented in which time frame
From that moment on the "two weeks" period starts.

Best regards,

Antoine

Hi all!
The organization shall have a process to assure the timely review, distribution and implementation of all customer engineering standards/specifications and changes based on customer-required schedule. Timely review should be as soon as possible, and shall not exceed two working weeks"​

this topic has been mentionned several times, but an additional question arises: how to make sure that the INPUT comes at the right time?
Some of our OEM customers do send a change notice to their Q-interlocutors at each supplier, then we have to download the mentionned standard and review it :agree1:
But the majority of them do not infor their supplier about any change, so that acc. to the ISO/TS the supplier has to check by himself if the standard has been updated... actually fast every day, if we want to keep the 2 weeks leadtime for the review:bonk:. If we consider that dozens of customer technical standard are applicable to our delivered product, we would need a full employee just to make the checks :frust:
Most companies I used to work with are of course used to check the validity of the relevant engineering specifications at each new RfQ, but usually the update of a technical standard is ignored for serial products as long as the customer has not made an official RfQ to change them!

I am very interesting in a constructive Brainstorming of ideas on how to deal with this "timely review"...
Agree with Antoine.
This process could be seen inside customer processes. Without any specific request, it is impossible to make checks as you said.
I do not know if you have a customer process that oblige you to make daily these checks.
Probably you could agree with your customer to send you email via recognized communication channel ( I mean customer representative , for example) to advice that their engineering specs have been changed also communicate the change. :bigwave:

S

Stepbosq

Thanks to both of you for your answers.
I think you have touched the right point: our customers mostly expect the suppliers to be proactive and "regularly" check the supplier portal by their own:argue:.
In case of an audit, I think we can refer to the "customer-required schedule":nopity:

R

rickmcq

Hi all!

Here is how I have always interpreted this clause and our CB auditors have never had a problem with it:

Let's say your customer wants a color of orange that is 2 shades lighter than what you are producing for them now and they want the new color to start going down the line 3 months from now.

This does NOT mean that you can put off reviewing the new specification for 2 months and then get on it. You have up to 2 weeks to review it "after receiving it from the customer" in order to make sure that nothing will prevent you from implementing the new spec in 3 months and meeting their schedule for the new color.

Our customers have always made sure we knew about any change they have made. There is nothing in 4.2.3.1 that says we have to actively go out and babysit the customer. I am not aware of any auditor coming in here and interpreting it that way, either.

Then again, if you have to babysit your customer because of their irresponsibility then that's the way it is for you and that particular customer.

Rick

Top Bottom