SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

TS 16949 Tier 2 Customer Specific Requirements?

kalehner

Involved - Posts
Advertiser
What's the responsibility of a Tier 2 supplier in regards to auditing customer specific requirements?

We make parts that we supply to Tier 1 suppliers who make additional changes and then send to OEM for installation in vehicles.

Do we need to be confirm our conformance to our customers specific requirements or to the OEM's specific requirements?

We're trying to answer the question, as it may arise during a TS 16949 recertification audit: How do we know we're compliant to our customer's specific requirements?

Do we need to do something to make sure our customer has identified the OEM’s customer specific requirements and included those in their requirements to us?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
Re: TS 16949 customer specific requirements?

What's the responsibility of a Tier 2 supplier in regards to auditing customer specific requirements?

We make parts that we supply to Tier 1 suppliers who make additional changes and then send to OEM for installation in vehicles.

Do we need to be confirm our conformance to our customers specific requirements or to the OEM's specific requirements?

We're trying to answer the question, as it may arise during a TS 16949 recertification audit: How do we know we're compliant to our customer's specific requirements?

Do we need to do something to make sure our customer has identified the OEM’s customer specific requirements and included those in their requirements to us?
One of the principle reasons for doing an audit is to confirm "planned arrangements" are being met. Since you planned to meet the customers' requirements, yes, you should be auditing them in your internal audit program - regardless of being in the automotive industry or what TS specifically says!

Now, as far as your customer goes, you cannot be held accountable or ensure that they have determined their customers' requirements - it's out of your control.

qusys

Trusted Information Resource
Re: TS 16949 customer specific requirements?

Your are responsible to meet the requirement of your direct Customers, that shall also give you the requirements to meet the needs of the final Customer.
From your post, I understand that your direct customer makes some changes to your product ( that could be considered semi finished goods), but you are not responsible of those modifications. Correct me if I was wrong.
If you demonstrated that the your customer satisfaction is ok, meeting its requirements to you according to the contract , including APQP and PPAP , you are compliant.
hope this helps.

J

J PARTHASARATHY

For tier 2, the customer is tier 1 and it meets the requirement if you satisfy their 'csr'. It is the responsibility of tier 1 supplier to incorporate the oem's need if anything relevant to tier 2 supplier and built in their csr. Hope this may help. Thanks.

K

Karen R

As a Tier 1, I could use some advice on just what OEM requirements other pass down to their suppliers. We're a steel processor, sometimes supplying direct to OEMs, usually to stampers. Sometimes we use outside processors at the direction of our OEM customers. Othertimes we do so to increase our capacity. In these cases, it is not in our commercial interests to divulge our end customers.

So - what specific customer specific requirements am I obligated to pass down the supply chain? How do I do so when I wish to maintain confidentiality of my end customers? I understand PPAP requirements, I'm speaking specifically of the various customer specific supplements to TS / supplier quality manuals.

Any advice so we can keep it simple and value added would be much appreciated!

try2makeit

Quite Involved in Discussions
As a Tier 1, I could use some advice on just what OEM requirements other pass down to their suppliers. We're a steel processor, sometimes supplying direct to OEMs, usually to stampers. Sometimes we use outside processors at the direction of our OEM customers. Othertimes we do so to increase our capacity. In these cases, it is not in our commercial interests to divulge our end customers.

So - what specific customer specific requirements am I obligated to pass down the supply chain? How do I do so when I wish to maintain confidentiality of my end customers? I understand PPAP requirements, I'm speaking specifically of the various customer specific supplements to TS / supplier quality manuals.

Any advice so we can keep it simple and value added would be much appreciated!
I guess I would say your PO you are issuing to the outside processor. Many of our customers use their PO's to add additional requirements or information, that then gets entered by Customer Order Entry.

R

ralphsulser

If they are have a current ISO9001/TS16949 system certification, then that should cover most anything you need.

howste

Thaumaturge
Super Moderator
...In these cases, it is not in our commercial interests to divulge our end customers.

If your customer requires you to flow down their CSRs, then you must. If not, you don't have to.

For example, the Visteon customer specific requirements state "The organization shall cascade the intent of these customer specific requirements to their suppliers where applicable." In this case you don't need to specify to your suppliers the Visteon CSR (thereby letting them know who your customer is). But you do need to flow down the relevant requirements in them.

As you stated, any CSR requirements relative to PPAPs would always need to be flowed down to suppliers. TS 16949 states, "The organization shall conform to a product and manufacturing process approval procedure recognized by the customer. This product and manufacturing process approval procedure shall also be applied to suppliers." In fact, the GM CSRs state in the PPAP section, "These requirements also apply to all commodities supplied by external independent organizations, GM Allied and Affiliated supply organizations, plus all commodities supplied to these organizations (e.g. subcontractors and tier suppliers)."

I hope this helps.

K

Karen R

Thanks, thus begins the hunt to review and compile just what all those relevant requirements are!

C

Citizen Kane

Hi !

Well, if you meet the agreements you've made with your customer in the signed contract - at the specific quality, quantity and other specifications - then you are compliant. For this question, this is what we presented in our relationship with our customer regarding the specific requirements.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Who is the "customer" in TS 16949? Are we are tier 2 or 3 of an OEM? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
S TS 16949 - Supplier Certification - We have one Tier 1 automotive customer Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 20
noratkhen Eligibility to get a IATF 16949 certificate for a Tier N>3 supplier? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 25
L Informational IATF 16949 certification requirement for Tier 2/Tier 3 Suppliers IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 15
P Problem with TS 16949 System Scope in Tier 2 Company IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
H Tier 1 ISO/TS 16949 Subscribers (Origin of TS 16949) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
B Supplier Development - TS 16949 Flow Down Requirements - Tier 2 Supplier IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 13
D TS 16949 and Control Plans - Need Tier II/III follow AIAG Annex A Format? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 27
W Eligibility of Tier 2 supplier of forged parts to get TS 16949:2002 certificate IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 13
B TS 16949 CSR for GM Tier 2 Machining Sources Customer and Company Specific Requirements 2
T Second Tier Laboratory Requirements for TS 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
T Design responsible? Tier 2 / 3 manufacturer of steel products - TS 16949 Design and Development of Products and Processes 6
R TS-16949 and SubContract Manufacturing - Both Tier 1 & 2 to GM, FORD, Delphi, Visteon IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
L Certification ISO TS 16949 - Tier II, so its necesary to get ISO TS 16949 cert? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 18
L Must Tier 2 Suppliers register to TS 16949? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
I Difference Between TS 16949 Tier 1, 2, and 3 Suppliers IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
T IATF 16949 Recording inspection results IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
S IATF 16949 Supplier selection criteria 8.4.1.2 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
D IATF 16949 M&TE Laboratory scope IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
M IATF 16949 SI # 10: Integrated self-calibration of measurement equipment- Needs for explanation IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
Q ISO 9001/IATF 16949 Audit Finding Question - Document Retention IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
J IATF 16949 Calibration/Verification records question ISO 26262 - Road vehicles – Functional safety 5
D Bulk Materials (Greases) and IATF 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
J IATF 16949 Internal Audit question - Auditor's responsibility Internal Auditing 6
S IATF 16949 Internal Audit Example IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 13
B Remote IATF 16949 audit preparation General Auditing Discussions 10
R IATF 16949 Certification for new site with transferred product--what is the impact with CSR and scorecards? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
B IATF 16949 Cert Expire- New certification body IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
M IATF 16949 - Audit of Remote Location/Support Site and IT IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
O Informational Ford Motor Company Customer Specific Requirements for IATF 16949:2016 - 08 Jan 2021 Customer and Company Specific Requirements 0
B Updated IATF 16949 - Will IATF 16949 get revised when ISO 9001:202X is released? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
O Release of Sanctioned Interpretations (SIs) related to Rules 5th Edition and Sanctioned Interpretations related to IATF 16949:2016 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
S Thoughts on managing ISO 9001, 13485, IATF 16949 and 17025 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 33
P IATF 16949 requirement - error-proofing in control plan IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
R IATF 16949 - Outsourcing of internal audits Internal Auditing 11
eule del ayre Documented Information - Periodic Review of Documents? IATF 16949:2016 / ISO 9001:2015 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 34
Crimpshrine13 Laboratory Scope - Calibration vs. Test Methods - IATF 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
earl62 What is the best way to control special characteristics in Control plan? Is it Mandatory to have SPC for IATF 16949? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 12
L IATF 16949 certification costs IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
B FCA US Customer Specific IATF 16949- Critical Characteristics 8.6.2 Customer and Company Specific Requirements 0
B IATF 16949 News Six month extension on all valid IATF 16949 certs IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
earl62 IATF 16949 Clause 9.1.1.1 - What is the batch conformance to specification method? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
B FCA US IATF 16949 Customer Requirements updates Customer and Company Specific Requirements 3
S Can assembly manufacturing sub-supplier be certified IATF 16949? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
D IATF 16949 Requirement for CMMI in a Global Company Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 0
M Tips on preparing for IATF 16949 Internal Lead Auditor exam Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
A IATF 16949 4.3.1 - Determining the scope of the quality management system - supplemental IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
S Definition of "worldwide" in view of IATF 16949 and Product conformity IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
R Where does IATF 16949 address Process mapping? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
A Document "Correspondence IATF 16949 vs ISO13485" available? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0