TS16949:2002 CSR (Customer Specific Requirements) Questions

N

Neil

TS16949:2002 CSR questions

The IAOB have posted TS16949:2002 customer specific requirement for GM and DaimlerChrysler. TS16949 is only required for "organizations" and ISO9001:2000 is sufficient for "suppliers". Does anyone out there know why the the DaimlerChrysler CSR dated Oct. 01/02 has omitted the definitions for organization and supplier that were present in the version dated July 01/02? Has anything changed? This is crucial because I have to make a recommendation to senior group tomorrow morning as to which standard to pursue. We are not a tier one provider to any of the big three. Help please!

I

IceZebra

Neil,

From my understanding of TS, not only do you not have to pursue TS, but you cannot even become certified because you are not a Tier 1 supplier.

With that said however, your customer's goal (as stated in TS) is for you to become compliant to this standard, and at a minimum certified to ISO 9000:2000.

I hope that helps.

[October 24, 2003] Wow, I'm a fool. I can't believe I spouted some of this misinformation. Everyone after me is correct (Sam, Tom, Bill, Key) as far as only having to be in the automotive supply chain to become certified. I apologize to everyone for my misguided attempt at knowledge sharing. :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
K

keyplas - 2006

Ice,
Where does it say that they cannot? become TS? I believe unless you don't actually make anything you can become TS....**** there is a company that for enough money will make you the most profitable orginisation on earth.(oops sorry there a little unreachable right now) but anyone can become TS, it is only the tier ones and their suppliers that have rules now...Sorry just my two cents...;)

T

tomvehoski

ISO/TS 16949 is not limited only to tier 1. The last sentence of paragraph 1.1 states "This technical specification can be applied throughout the automtive supply chain."

I have heard that they want to limit certification to those that make auto part only. I have also heard of a requirement you must be a supplier, or be on a bid list and be able to prove it to get/maintain certification. I believe this came fromt he rollout workshop at AIAG, but I don't remember for sure and can't find it in writing in the standard or guidance documents.

Tom

S

Sam

IMO, anyone who can satisfy the requirements of the certification scheme in "Rules for acheiving IATF recognition" can become certified to the ISO/TS specification.
Site - where value added manufactured processes occur, is the emphasis in the certification scheme.

B

Bill Ryan - 2007

My company became registered to ISO/TS (first edition) as a Tier 2 in January, 2001. We became a Tier 1 supplier with a new part shortly after.

I don't understand why a nonautomotive company couldn't be registered (although why would anyone want the expense if they didn't have designs on supplying the automotive industry) unless it would be granted some type of waiver with a time frame to become registered once it won a contract.

Bill

G

Gayle215

The AIAG implementation guide states that the only facilities that can be registered to ISO/TS16949 are manufacturing sites and assemble centers.

Top Bottom