TS16949 Desk Audit - Business Plan Contents

S

Samantha

Couple of days ago, our company had the TS desk audit.The TS auditor had a lot of comment on our company Business Plan during the audit. Even I have addressed all the requirements (according to the guidance) & it is a 3 years plan. Just wondering anyone can help! :confused:

T

TownDawg

Disclaimer: Well you don't give a lot of details.. so I am going to take some liberty and do some guessing as to what the auditor may have commented on.

In a perfect world, a business states their 'mission' in life through the use of a quality policy. This policy is further expanded upon through the use of quality objectives, and a quality plan to address those objectives.

With the advent of the 'newer' quality standards, the above paragraph reads as follows:

In a perfect world, a business states their 'mission' in life through the use of a business policy. This policy is further expanded upon through the use of business objectives, and a business plan to address those objectives.

Assuming that most folks address quality, cost, delivery, safety and morale in their business plan, I can only assume the auditor did not see how the company effectively translated their objectives outlined in the business plan (which are linked to the company's quality policy) to meaningful measures, that were tracked and discussed in periodic management review meetings.

Progress toward these specific objectives are discovered during periodic manufacturing and product audits, and communicated to management (as well as the workforce) to ensure that continual improvement can be documented, measured, and ultimately achieved.

Make sense? (Again, I'm only guessing as to what your auditor saw, and commented on.)

S

Sam

There are NO requirements for the content of a business plan, other that those related to quality issues. Don't let your auditor tell your company how to run the business. He is there for one purpose, to audit compliance to TS2. Nothing elae should be of any concern.

T

TownDawg

I didn't mean to mislead, and I'm agreeing Sam -- but I'm also trying to figure out what the auditor saw.. so I am assuming that the company made no effort to translate customer requirements into actionable items, as would be reflected in their quality policy, objectives, and business plan.

Cari Spears

Super Moderator
Leader
Super Moderator
I didn't know that the business plan was an auditable document. TS16949 auditors look at your business plan?

T

Teri - 2011

In QS the business plan was exempt to 3rd party auditors,,, not in TS!

Cari Spears

Super Moderator
Leader
Super Moderator
Thanks, Teri. So if there aren't any requirements for the content of it, other than those related to quality issues, why do they look at it? Just to ensure that your organizational objectives match your overall plans for the business? What are the TS requirements for the business plan contents related to quality issues?

I'm tempted to buy a copy of the TS standard just because I'm curious about things when I read threads in the TS forum.

T

TownDawg

Cari: Aren't they all quality issues?

Suppose your quality policy says, "SmithCo is dedicated to providing world-class products that meet or exceed customer expectations."

If I were your auditor, my questions would go like this.

1) Your quality policy states that you are dedicated to providing world-class products. Was there a benchmarking study to determine what signifies world-class? What are those attributes? How is the company doing toward meeting that goal? How is that information gathered? How often is it communicated to your management team? Do your customers appreciate the cost associated with providing products that are regarded at world-class level?

Am I on a idyllic plane here?

Cari Spears

Super Moderator
Leader
Super Moderator
Sam said:
There are NO requirements for the content of a business plan, other that those related to quality issues. Don't let your auditor tell your company how to run the business. He is there for one purpose, to audit compliance to TS2. Nothing elae should be of any concern.

This is the reason I ask. I was hoping someone would not mind typing up the applicable "shall"(s) and posting. I'm simply curious as to what the standard says - Samantha said "...I have addressed all the requirements (according to the guidance)..." What guidance?

T

TownDawg

There's too many shalls for me to type them up -- but here's section 5.4.1.1:

Top management shall define quality objectives and measurements that shall be included in the business plan and used to deploy the quality policy.

NOTE: Quality objectives should address customer expectations and be achievable within a defined time period.

Top Bottom