TS16949 requirements for for Directed Buy Customers

D

dadofeleven

We are TS16949 certified and ship to GM, Ford, and Chrysler. We also are a 'directed buy' supplier to a Tier I customer. What do we need to do when it comes to customer performance metrics and auditing to customer specific requirements. The Tier I customer is actually a competitor and we are only supplying product to them because our OEM customer is pressuring us to. The relationship with the Tier I customer is not very good and I don't believe we would get a favorable scorecard. Will our TS auditor be requiring scorecard information from the Tier I? Do we need to audit to the Tier I CSR's? Is it possible to get a waiver of some sort from the OEM?

howste

Thaumaturge
Trusted Information Resource
We are TS16949 certified and ship to GM, Ford, and Chrysler. We also are a 'directed buy' supplier to a Tier I customer. What do we need to do when it comes to customer performance metrics and auditing to customer specific requirements. The Tier I customer is actually a competitor and we are only supplying product to them because our OEM customer is pressuring us to. The relationship with the Tier I customer is not very good and I don't believe we would get a favorable scorecard. Will our TS auditor be requiring scorecard information from the Tier I? Do we need to audit to the Tier I CSR's? Is it possible to get a waiver of some sort from the OEM?

As a TS auditor, I would be looking at your contract to determine what applies. Do you have a contract with the Tier 1 or the OEM? What CSR(s) does the contract specify?

Golfman25

Technically, you probably have to follow the "unwanted" customer's requirements. Even if you get a "bad" scorecard you can "justify" it during your review. Not much an auditor could do after that. Good luck.

D

dadofeleven

The PO's are issued by the Tier I. They reference the Terms and Conditions. The Terms and Conditions say that ISO is required and that they promote TS16949. They do not reference a supplier manual or any other customer specific requirement beyond that. So to me, it seems that our internal audit to the TS16949 requirements would cover it. The concern is getting quality and delivery information from them. I do not believe that they issue a regular scorecard.

howste

Thaumaturge
The PO's are issued by the Tier I. They reference the Terms and Conditions. The Terms and Conditions say that ISO is required and that they promote TS16949. They do not reference a supplier manual or any other customer specific requirement beyond that. So to me, it seems that our internal audit to the TS16949 requirements would cover it. The concern is getting quality and delivery information from them. I do not believe that they issue a regular scorecard.

If that's all the contract says, then that's all you're obligated to do.

If they do give you a scorecard at some regular or irregular frequency, then you should take appropriate actions based on the information provided.

Golfman25

They don't really need to issue a scorecard. I assume you're monitoring your performance anyway. But be aware, we have had instances where auditors "forced" us to create "scorecards" specific to certain customers.

Top Bottom