TS16949 & Supplier Development - To which suppliers does this requirement apply?

K

Kerry

TS16949 & Supplier Development

According to TS16949 7.4.1.2, "Unless otherwise specified by the customer, suppliers to the organization shall be third party registered to ISO 9001:2000 by an accredited third-party certification body."

To which suppliers does this requirement apply? Obviously suppliers of direct material that would go into your saleable product would be required to be registered, but what about suppliers of indirect material such as tooling & equipment, coolants, or anything else that could affect product quality? What about prototype suppliers? Suppliers of services such as design/CAD work?

If, as Note 1 of 7.4.1 states, purchased products include all products and services that affect customer requirements...then one could make a case that all of the suppliers listed above would be required to be registered.

Anyone have any clarification on this requirement for me?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
K

Kerry

Why do I always feel like I should be lying on a psychiatrist's couch when I ask questions in these forums? ....well Kerry, how do you feel about the supplier development requirement???

I apologize for the sarcasm, but I'm sure most of you can relate. In my position I like to think I understand the intent of the Standards and how they apply to my company. My biggest problem is convincing the non-quality folk in the organization that I'm not just making this stuff up as I go along - trying to find bigger and better ways to screw up their days. The question I am most frequently asked is "where is it written?" If I don't see where "it" is written, I ask my fellow quality folk and hope that someone out there can tell me. In this instance I'm really not trying to figure "it" out for myself, I'm trying to find some sort of sanctioned interpretation, if you will, to show the non-believers that I am not leading them astray.

Is there anything in writing on this issue, or am I pretty much on my own on this one?:bonk:

Kerry,There are no sanctioned interpretations on this para yet.
This question was asked of the panel at he ISO/TS rollout meeting I attended. The panel response was " if you have any questions/concerns relating to supplier development, contact your customer. Waivers must be in writing."

Howard Atkins

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Admin
According to the standards that are usually applied then all suppliers that have a bearing on the part should be included.
Normally things like toilet paper etc are excluded but as we discussed before the need for motivation maybe the standard of the toilet paper has a direct effect on motivation and thus needs to be a recognised supplier with incoming inspection.:biglaugh:

Supplier Development

IMNSHO I think that the body of 7.4.1.2 and the note are talking about two separate things!

The body refers to all suppliers, saying that all suppliers need to comply. The note just states what the priority of supplier development. A critical supplier needs to be developed (comply with the body) before a lesser supplier.

The problem I have is based on ISO 9000:2000 a supplier is an organization that provides a product, which in turn is defined as a result of a process, which in turn is defined as activities that turn inputs into outputs. Given those definitions (excluding notes) ALL suppliers fit under this requirments.

Taking into account the notes, one could argue that only "value added" processes need to be included. This would eliminate many lesser suppliers, but still include tooling and coolant.

K

Kerry

I'm sorry - I may have confused things by referring back to a note from 7.4.1 after discussing 7.4.1.2. Anyway, I find the whole thing rather conflicting.

I just returned from a meeting with my supplier quality and purchasing organizations. Again, the need for clarification reared its ugly head. I work with a bunch of people who want to see in writing something like "this requirement applies to supplier type A in this situation, but not in this situation, supplier type B in this situation..." and so on. I know I'm not going to find that anywhere, but still they want it.

My bottom line that I'm telling everyone is that all suppliers of material that could affect customer requirements or satisfaction must be registered to ISO9001:2000 by 12/31/2003 unless waived by the customer. This includes suppliers of direct material (material that goes into the final saleable product), tooling, equipment, gages, spare parts, coolants and other processing materials, outside processing services (i.e., painting, machining, sorting, sequencing, calibration, etc.), and prototypes.

If anyone out there disagrees with me, please let me know why. For those in agreement, do any of you know how various Tier 1's are handling this?

R

Roger Eastin

Kerry - I think you are handling the requirement ok by saying who this applies to in your organization. We are a tier 2, but our tier 1 has a waiver (read, an approval for 2nd party audits). We are audited by our tier 1. I found this quote in the Quality System Update from April 2002:
"Section 7.4.1.2 Supplier Quality Management System Development of ISO/TS 16949:2002 requires that the direct product manufacturing suppliers to the organization have their quality system in step with the organization seeking compliance to the technical specification.
This essentially means the organization’s direct product manufacturing suppliers need to have in place a robust development program aimed at achieving conformity with ISO/TS 16949. There are a number of steps to be considered including conformity to ISO 9001:2000 as the first followed by registration to ISO 9001:2000, unless otherwise waived by the customer. Although there is no specific date for achievement, audit findings will likely be based on a defined plan and its effective implementation.
“What we require number one is a plan,” said Gryn. “And number two it should be something that’s reasonable.”
Bransky noted that even fourth- or fifth-tier suppliers may be candidates for ISO/TS 16949 certification in some cases, depending on the wishes of their customer. “If the tier above you requires it for sourcing … then you would be required to get ISO/TS 16949:2002 certification if you wanted to do business with that customer,” he said."

Sometimes, I think that the spokespeople for the Big 3 know what they want to say, but they struggle with how to say it. In some ways, this quote above invites more questions, whatever the intent of the speaker. It was also interesting to note from this Update how much "tougher" it will be to qualify as an auditor for TS16949 -2002. The Big 3 (et al.) want auditors to ask more customer-oriented questions than just questions about compliance with the standard. It looks like the 3rd party auditors are becoming more 3rd party auditor/SQA rep.

No specific dates?

Roger stated:
Although there is no specific date for achievement
"Unless otherwise specified by the customker, suppliers to the organization shall be third party registered to ISO 9001:2000 by an accredited third-party certification body."

I'm sure I'm splitting hairs here, but this sentence indicates (to me anyway) that supplier registration must be accomplished PRIOR to an organization's registration to TS.

In my earlier post I indicated I think that 'under the letter of the law' ALL suppliers need to be registered, not just those of importance! This is, in my opinion, a major flaw in TS and needs to be addressed.

On a different note: I've heard that registrars are being told to watch for checklists based on the standard. If organizations are auditing to the standard, not the process they should fail the audit! :eek:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P TS16949 vs. AS90001 - 7.4.1.2 Supplier Quality Management System Development IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
S What are TS16949 requirements regarding supplier development for tooling suppliers Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 5
Q Customer's Interpretation vs. TS16949 clause 7.4.1.2 Supplier Development Requirement Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 70
R Scope of TS16949 for motorcycle/electric bike tier1 supplier. IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
Casana Supplier Waiver Request - TS16949 Clause 8.3.4 Customer Waiver IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
M TS16949 and Supplier Certification Requirements Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 4
C John Deere Supplier - Are all the requirements of TS16949 necessary? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
P Vendor (Supplier) Management in TS16949 General Auditing Discussions 4
B Do you need a supplier questionnaire for TS16949? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
M Supplier Monitoring - Do we need to do Supplier Audits? - TS16949 Clause 7.4.3.2 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
G ISO/TS16949 - Fastener Supplier - Must my suppliers be TS 16949 registered? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 19
Z ISO / TS16949 Supplier requirements (Certification) Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 20
B TS16949 - PPAP Material Analysis Requirement - Plastic component supplier APQP and PPAP 10
D Supplier certification waiver format - ISO/TS16949:2002 Suppliers Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 16
I Does anyone have any advice for a TE supplier in regards to TS16949? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2
T PPAP differences between TS16949 and VDA APQP and PPAP 1
G Is ISO/TS16949 Extension Available? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
B ISO/TS16949 In-House Non-Product Laboratory IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
B TS16949 Section 8.2.2.3 Product Audit - Requirements for various Customers IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
M ISO/TS16949 to IATF 16949:2016 Gap Analysis Questions IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
tony wardle Lean and TS16949 - Integration Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 4
T TS16949 - What extras over the ISO 9001:2008? Gap Analysis IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
B Checklist for ISO/TS16949 for review and comment IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
T TS16949 Process Design Requirements IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
L TS16949 Work Instruction Requirements IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
D TS16949 Annex A versus Toyota MQC's IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 14
T TS16949 Lead Auditor Training Recommendations wanted Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 5
M Increase in Major TS16949 Audit Findings IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 14
D TS16949 requirements for for Directed Buy Customers IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
G Insights into the 2016 Version of TS16949 (IATF 16949) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 74
B ISO/TS16949 8.2.3.1 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
B ISO/TS16949 6.2.2.3 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
K TS16949 registration for Kitting and Line Sequencing Service company IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
V Procedure to change the Company name in existing TS16949-2009 certificate ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
C Calibration Certificate "As Found" condition - TS16949 Section 7.6.2 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
T Reduced Audit days when UPGRADING from AS9100 to TS16949 - Is it possible? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
T Is there a requirement in TS16949 that PO's show a revision level? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
G Service Parts Assembly Line and Scope of TS16949 Registration IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
M Comparing the MMOG (v3 or v4) with ISO / TS16949 Customer and Company Specific Requirements 3
B ISO/TS16949 Internal Auditing - How many auditors? Internal Auditing 4
B How to maintain documentation under ISO/TS16949 Clause 4.2.3 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
M Is a separate ISO/TS16949 certificate required for an extension site? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
L Scope of TS16949 for Aftermarket Product and a Service Fill Product IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
B Meeting the requirements of ISO/TS16949 Clause 6.2.2.3 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
W Does TS16949 require MSA on all measurement systems in the Control Plan? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
M Process Records requirements for TS16949 standard IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
D Include non-automotive in TS16949 Registration Scope IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
R TS16949 requirements for Motorcycle OEM Parts Suppliers (Batteries) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
C TS16949: Product Audit vs. "Regular Checks" Internal Auditing 1
E Gap Analysis for VDA 6.3:2010 and ISO/TS16949:2009 VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 5