Turnover Rates in Precision Machining

Proud Liberal

Quite Involved in Discussions
I'm looking to benchmark turnover rates in a precision machining environment (automotive transmission components). Where would I go to get that type of info?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

normzone

Trusted Information Resource
Employee turnover rates? It would be all over the map, and dependent on the outfit. Some of those shops are well managed and nice outfits to work for, others are dungeons.

Wes Bucey

I pretty much agree with Normzone - the metric would be worthless because precision machining operations range in size from one- and two-operator shops to behemoths with multiple locations and hundreds of operators on each of three shifts. The quality of management and the extent of what is actually "precision" vary greatly. When I was an owner, we ran an operation with very little turnover, while neighbors in our industrial neighborhood were plagued with vacancies.

I describe our operation in this twelve-year-old thread:
https://elsmar.com/Forums/showpost.php?p=105469&postcount=18]

Wes Bucey

If there are I've never seen them - the data would be too muddy to whittle.

[Wes] - I read it, and I don't like machine shop work (noise, scents and oil) but I'd come work for you.

EDIT: link to some muddy data from search for turnover - rate - employees

http://blog.accessperks.com/2016-employee-engagement-loyalty-statistics#1
OUR shop was sparkling clean, more like a showroom floor than typical machining environment. No dripping oil or coolant spray because these very expensive computer-controlled machines were designed to keep coolant on the product, not in the air or on the floor. Lubricating fluids were similarly captured and filtered. The electric motors on each machine ran as silently as a well-tuned luxury auto. The machines had soundproofing windowed housings around the cubic envelope where tool met workpiece so a normal conversation could be held anywhere. The true test of how well everything from machine to process was designed was that the shop could run "lights out" with only a maintenance man to load stock and change broken or worn tools. Electronic sensors checked on product at various points in process to determine if tool and process were working according to plan. Goal was ZERO nonconforming parts leaving the machine, saving lots of human inspection time and money.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
pammesue So much turnover, How to improve our training process? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 32
B My prediction: Huge Turnover when (if?) Recession ends Career and Occupation Discussions 3
M Employee Turnover vs. Keeping up with Training Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 7
J Targets as percentage of turnover (Sales) Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 14
D Ideal Ratio of Turnover (Sales), Employees & Departments Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 6
A Quality Personnel Deployment Ratio to Sales Turnover Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 6
O Personnel Turnover & Energy Consumption Rate Career and Occupation Discussions 3
Sidney Vianna Does your Registrar have a high Auditor Turnover Rate? Registrars and Notified Bodies 15
Jen Kirley Conquering Employee Turnover Costs The Reading Room 12
R Managing Quality in a High Turnover Environment Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 51
T Turnover good for Quality? Is all employee turnover bad? Not at General Electric Career and Occupation Discussions 7
J Reality Check - Can we pass a registration audit with this kind of turnover? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
P Commercial excel templates that calculate overhead, hourly rates, fee proposal Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 0
Q Calculating Defect Rates ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
J China NMPA medical device submission timelines and clearance rates China Medical Device Regulations 2
M Informational US FDA Medical Device User Fee Rates for Fiscal Year 2020 Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Proper ISO standard for Pressure Testing and Leak Rates Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
M FDA News US FDA – Statement about rates of duodenoscope contamination from preliminary postmarket data Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
J How can I manage Occurence Rates in FMEA efficiently when I have many processes? FMEA and Control Plans 9
Antonio Vieira What are the Tax Rates in the USA? Career and Occupation Discussions 17
J Looking for reference to Electronics Industry's Standard Scrap Rates ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
B Can we stop Customer Surveys as they are generating low return rates ? Customer Complaints 16
M Medical Device Nonconformance Rates Nonconformance and Corrective Action 2
C Benchmarking Warranty Rates - What Rates should Trigger Actions? Benchmarking 1
S Are P-Charts OK to use for LOW failure rates? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 10
S USFDA User Fee Rates for 2012 US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
F Calculation of Failure - Constant Failure Rates of Parallel System Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 11
K Inspecting a Length of Weld - High Reject Rates Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
B Can Minitab 15 Chart Geometric Distributions with Very Low Defect Rates? Using Minitab Software 2
T How to define c=0 Reject Rates Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 14
J Salary / Rates for CMM Programmers in UK - Quick Question Career and Occupation Discussions 5
Ajit Basrur Medical Device User Fee Rates for 2010 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
N Yields & Through Put Rates - Food processing industry Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
A Conflicting ppm rates - Customer requires 0 ppm - Suppliers work to 50 ppm Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 16
M Ford Run at Rates - Correct Form and Advice needed. Customer and Company Specific Requirements 1
M Failure Rates and Standard Acceptable Quality Level for Incoming Components Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 5
C Electronic Device Dead On Arrival (DOA) Rates Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 9
D Hospital Infection Rates - American Journal of Infection Control Hospitals, Clinics & other Health Care Providers 4
S Acceptable Error Rates for Order Picking and Order Entry Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 8
T ISO 13485 Registrar Day Rates Registrars and Notified Bodies 1
R Reject Rates - Lots and split lots Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 3
D Acceptable Rejection Rates - Are there any industry standards or figures? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 14
J Seeking Excel Spreadsheet to help with cycle test for Weibull failure rates Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 2
H ASQ Certification Exam Pass Rates - Per QCI Professional Certifications and Degrees 14
Govind ASQ Professional Certification Rates are Going Up Professional Certifications and Degrees 18
G What are your country's Tax Types and Tax Rates? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 23
B Developing Manual Assembly Productivity Rates Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
L Gage R&R for test precision or uncertainty prediction? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
Proud Liberal Informational Use of Classical SPC in Precision Machining Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 9
K Inter/Intra assay precision study per CLSI guidelines Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1