Two batches - Is the subgroup 4 or 2?

AJ05231969

Registered
There are two batches we are measuring for 15 days. We took measurement on the first batch twice a day - 5:00 am and 5:00 pm (4 measurements each time).

We did that for 7 days and on day 8, we measured the first batch only at 5:00 am.

We started to measure the 2nd batch at 5:00 pm on day 8 and then every day until day 15.

Is my subgroup 4 or 2?

Our results change considerably different based on sub group.

What do you think the subgroup should be (2 or 4 and why)?

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Welcome to the Cove. :bigwave: You posted the same question in three different forums. This leads to confusion so I deleted the other two.
Please describe what you mean by "batch." Are these separate process streams?

AJ05231969

Registered
I would just say Item 1 and Item 2 instead of batch. Measured 4 times at 5am and 4 times at 5pm. Item 1 for first 7 days and morning of day 8. Item 2 from afternoon of day 8 until day 15

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
I would just say Item 1 and Item 2 instead of batch. Measured 4 times at 5am and 4 times at 5pm. Item 1 for first 7 days and morning of day 8. Item 2 from afternoon of day 8 until day 15
The question remains--what do you mean by "item?" Are they two different things in two different process streams?

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Leader
Super Moderator
You have a subgroup sample size of 4. You have taken 2 subgroups per day except the day when you took only 1 subgroup. (item 1 = 15 subgroups and item 2 = 15 subgroups; if I understood your count correctly.)
the subgroups for item 1 are probably not independent of each other. I don't understand why you stopped measuring item 1 and started measuring item 2 on day 8?

We really need a LOT more information to properly help you.

AJ05231969

Registered
You have a subgroup sample size of 4. You have taken 2 subgroups per day except the day when you took only 1 subgroup. (item 1 = 15 subgroups and item 2 = 15 subgroups; if I understood your count correctly.)
the subgroups for item 1 are probably not independent of each other. I don't understand why you stopped measuring item 1 and started measuring item 2 on day 8?

We really need a LOT more information to properly help you.

I am trying to use the data to understand the stability of the process, process mean and process range. the measurements are the width of the part.

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Leader
Super Moderator
What do you mean by stability? Do you mean "is the process in statistical control"? or do you mean that the material might degrade over time?
(Given that this is a width I would assume the former and not the latter)

When you say you measured the 'items' or 'batches' twice a day for 7 days and then once on the 8th day, does that mean:
* It took ~8 days to manufacture the parts and you took 4 pieces at each time point during the manufacturing process?
* You a large random sample of parts and you took 4 pieces out of that sample set twice a day and measured them?
* or some other time sequencing?
The answer to this timing question is critical as to what you can do with the data...

Top Bottom