Two Identical Medical Devices put in different Classes - Class I and Class II

A

adg189256

I am wondering how two identical devices were put into two separate classes.

The two are Invisalign and OrthoClear.

Invisalign is listed by the FDA under NXC 872.5470 class II. This is the sequential aligner sub-division of the plastic bracket classification.
The FDA moved them from their original designation as a ?Preformed Tooth Positioner? (872.5525) class I in 2006.

Orthoclear, an identical product, was classified as an orthodontic band. (872.5410) which is class I. They were not effected by the FDA?s ruling that change the preformed tooth positioner to plastic bracket.

How is this possible, and how to I make sure a new device falls under the class I designation?

Thanks!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
M

MIREGMGR

I am wondering how two identical devices were put into two separate classes. (...) How is this possible, and how to I make sure a new device falls under the class I designation?
This has happened many times...sometimes because the boundary between classifications is poorly defined and a device-type legitimately can be considered to be either, and sometimes because a maker erroneously or deviously mis-classifies.

It can happen Class I <--> Class II when one maker classifies as Class I, documents to file, and Lists per their own determination, and another maker classifies as Class II, submits a 510(k) application to FDA and is approved.

In addition to the many illogical boundaries in the classification system, there is at least one, and probably other, device types that are defined twice, once as Class I, once as Class II.

It also can happen Class II <--> Class II. There are several places in the classification system where a common product type can be considered to fit into one classification per one valid decision logic, and into another classification per another valid decision logic.

FDA has no mechanism for reviewing that Class I self-classifications are always correct, and no process for fixing the very inconsistent classification system itself so that the boundaries and the decision logic to be applied in a given instance are clear.

If you want/need a given classification, it's up to you to manage the system so that you end up with it.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Recall, Safety Notice or Training? - Medical Device with two identical complaints 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 15
M Validation of two nearly identical products Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 5
L Gage R&R studies for identical Devices - Need to confirm the requirement to perform them Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 2
M Identical Sales Package in Different Countries Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 0
S Minitab runs at different speeds on identical PCs Using Minitab Software 5
G How to Fix Mis-Identified Dimensionally Identical Parts Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5
D Back to Back MSA - Two "identical" automatic measuring systems Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
I Are IEC 60601-1:2012 and BS EN 60601-1:2006+A11:2011 still identical? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
Q Auditor found Form with Identical Contents but different Format - is this an NC? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 28
Q Repeating Identical Processes in different Procedures? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
C Equivalence Studies - Validation Activities for several Identical Pieces of Equipment Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
C Equivalence Studies - Validation Activities for several Identical Pieces of Equipment Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 2
V Can identical gages in different facilities be in the same family? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 10
Icy Mountain TS 16949 Requirement for New MSA for Identical Replacement Part Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
D How to audit identical processes? TS 16949 Clause 8.2.2 General Auditing Discussions 2
N Hypothsis test - Problem with an in-process test machine - Almost identical product Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
D Gage R&R on one tape measure to represent all identical tapes Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
P How many SPC charts for Bolt Torque? 4 identical Nut/Bolts in the same part Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 14
E Tablet integrated into medical device IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
Ed Panek Is this a medical device? US Medical Device Regulations 2
S Local (country) registration of medical devices - Who does it in best case? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
P Medical device testing lab/service standard Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
G Labeling requirements for REFURBISHED medical devices EU Medical Device Regulations 0
L Selling medical devices from USA in EU markets CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
K Medical Device file and "Component" Manufacturers? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 6
rob3027 ISO 13485 justification for design and development exclusion for medical packaging ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 18
A Class 2b medical device - best pathway to obtain CE mark? (2022, MDR 2017/745) CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
H Active Implantable Medical Devices - ISO 14708 and EN 45502 Other Medical Device Related Standards 0
C Statistics/sampling plan for medical device Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 10
A Non-medical device testing in the medical system IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
J Regulatory path to enter EU market for non medical 60601 component Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
S Training in D&D for engineers with no medical device experience Design and Development of Products and Processes 8
M Software as Medical Device import activities for Chile and Mexico Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
M Medical Device Indications for Use Health Canada Canada Medical Device Regulations 6
dgrainger Informational Draft for comment - "reclassification of products without an intended medical purpose" EU Medical Device Regulations 6
J Average number of Nonconformances during internal quality audit for Medical Device Manufacturers Internal Auditing 3
D Exclusion 4.2.3 Medical Device File ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
M Lifetime of medical device EU Medical Device Regulations 16
M UDI IVD Medical Device Class III US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
E How to risk assess tooling? For a medical device and is it needed??? Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
P Definition of "Standalone" medical device Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 5
B Spare parts of medical device need CE mark? EU Medical Device Regulations 0
R EU MDR Article 22 applicability of medical device with components. EU Medical Device Regulations 4
M Medical Device AE Reporting SOP Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Class Exempt Medical Device Recall Question US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
P Requirements for Exporting Medical Devices to Libya Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
B Technical Documentation for a medical device accessory Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 6
T Peru Veterinary Medical Devices Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
S Assembling technical file for a medical device ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
I Request for information regarding remote medical monitoring software (its technical documentation and the IUD system) IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 2