Two Identical Medical Devices put in different Classes - Class I and Class II

A

adg189256

I am wondering how two identical devices were put into two separate classes.

The two are Invisalign and OrthoClear.

Invisalign is listed by the FDA under NXC 872.5470 class II. This is the sequential aligner sub-division of the plastic bracket classification.
The FDA moved them from their original designation as a ?Preformed Tooth Positioner? (872.5525) class I in 2006.

Orthoclear, an identical product, was classified as an orthodontic band. (872.5410) which is class I. They were not effected by the FDA?s ruling that change the preformed tooth positioner to plastic bracket.

How is this possible, and how to I make sure a new device falls under the class I designation?

Thanks!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
M

MIREGMGR

I am wondering how two identical devices were put into two separate classes. (...) How is this possible, and how to I make sure a new device falls under the class I designation?
This has happened many times...sometimes because the boundary between classifications is poorly defined and a device-type legitimately can be considered to be either, and sometimes because a maker erroneously or deviously mis-classifies.

It can happen Class I <--> Class II when one maker classifies as Class I, documents to file, and Lists per their own determination, and another maker classifies as Class II, submits a 510(k) application to FDA and is approved.

In addition to the many illogical boundaries in the classification system, there is at least one, and probably other, device types that are defined twice, once as Class I, once as Class II.

It also can happen Class II <--> Class II. There are several places in the classification system where a common product type can be considered to fit into one classification per one valid decision logic, and into another classification per another valid decision logic.

FDA has no mechanism for reviewing that Class I self-classifications are always correct, and no process for fixing the very inconsistent classification system itself so that the boundaries and the decision logic to be applied in a given instance are clear.

If you want/need a given classification, it's up to you to manage the system so that you end up with it.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Recall, Safety Notice or Training? - Medical Device with two identical complaints 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 15
M Validation of two nearly identical products Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 5
L Gage R&R studies for identical Devices - Need to confirm the requirement to perform them Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 2
M Identical Sales Package in Different Countries Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 0
S Minitab runs at different speeds on identical PCs Using Minitab Software 5
G How to Fix Mis-Identified Dimensionally Identical Parts Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5
D Back to Back MSA - Two "identical" automatic measuring systems Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
I Are IEC 60601-1:2012 and BS EN 60601-1:2006+A11:2011 still identical? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
Q Auditor found Form with Identical Contents but different Format - is this an NC? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 28
Q Repeating Identical Processes in different Procedures? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
C Equivalence Studies - Validation Activities for several Identical Pieces of Equipment Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
C Equivalence Studies - Validation Activities for several Identical Pieces of Equipment Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 2
V Can identical gages in different facilities be in the same family? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 10
Icy Mountain TS 16949 Requirement for New MSA for Identical Replacement Part Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
D How to audit identical processes? TS 16949 Clause 8.2.2 General Auditing Discussions 2
N Hypothsis test - Problem with an in-process test machine - Almost identical product Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
D Gage R&R on one tape measure to represent all identical tapes Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
P How many SPC charts for Bolt Torque? 4 identical Nut/Bolts in the same part Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 14
M The Medical Devices (Amendment etc.) (EU Exit) Regulations 2020 UK Medical Device Regulations 0
P New Global HQ Suggestions for Virtual manufacturing/own brand labelling of medical devices? EU Medical Device Regulations 0
shimonv Classification of a cloud- base viewer for the output from a medical device US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 7
A FDA guidance on non-sterile Medical Device Packaging Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 4
N Chemical Testing on Medical Devices - Solutions in a container closure system (bag) EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M Is IEC 60601-1-2 required by FDA for all electronic medical devices? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
A Medical device Mode Of Action CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
P Best Global Option to become an OBL/PLM/Virtual medical device brand in 2020 Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
rob73 UK Medical Device Regulations Forum - UK MDR Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 1
S Philippines CMDL (Certificate of Medical Device Listing) Elsmar Cove Forum ToS and Forum Policies 0
M Subcontracting a repair of Medical Devices Canada Medical Device Regulations 0
J 21 CFR 821 Medical Device Tracking Requirement 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
S Regrind Material in Medical Devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
S Iraq Medical Device registration Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
R Medical Device Software Certification IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 1
D Class IIB Medical Device Accessories - OTS Tablets Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
F Change to Formulation due to Reach (China Medical Device Regulations) China Medical Device Regulations 0
R Accelerated Aging - Creating test samples - Implantable medical device Question Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
R Product Recall - medical devices in the hospital warehouse Canada Medical Device Regulations 2
T Clinical evaluation of a new medical device EU Medical Device Regulations 0
J Medical software Patient outcome Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 2
P Monolithic application and medical devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
7 Iraq Medical Device Chemical Regulations Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
J UCLA extension Medical Device Engineering Program Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 0
Q Storing and developing SAMD (Software as a Medical Device) in the Cloud IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 3
I ISO 2233:2000 Question - Medical Device Shipping/Transportation Validation Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
N Medical Devices in oxygen rich environment IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
R Identify Medical Device characterstics as Annex C of ISO 14971 Risk Management ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 5
M Medical Devices Shelf Life ---INDIA Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
O ANATEL certification of Medical Device Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
Ajit Basrur FDA News Harmonizing and Modernizing Regulation of Medical Device Quality Systems (7-2020) US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
JoCam Warranty of Medical Devices EU Medical Device Regulations 2