SBS - The best value in QMS software

Two job offers, one solution - Automotive vs. Defense Manufacturing Jobs

T

tori2432

Automotive industry quality engineer for over 10 years. Working as a contractor for an automotive supplier, corporate micromanaged global corporation. Just received an offer to go into defense/aerospace local plant with expanding business. Money is same, benefits and hours. Biggest turmoil is what to do! Contract position is trying hard to get a permanent position but the act requires U.K. corporate approval. Anyone work in defense/aerospace that has suggestions? How much different is it? I would be quality coordinator under quality director over 4 plants. Not much QE stuff but documentation, audits and training.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin
Re: Two job offers, one solution

Congratulations for such a wonderful problem!

Aerospace standards have a lot in common with ISO 9001.

I have a dumb question. Which country's defense standard would you be working to? AS9100 is said to be the "International" aerospace standard. But military standards may differ.

If it was me, I'd accept the real job offer over the maybe-job-offer.
:2cents:

A

Al Dyer

tori2432,

Welcome!

My guess is there is little difference. It would be a different piece of paper (policy, procedure, instructions etc...) with slightly different requirements. Jeez, go for it!. Just as aside I wonder why it is called defense instead of offense.

Whatever your decision enjoy the hard work and self determinism.

Al...

howste

Thaumaturge
Super Moderator
I've worked in both industries and there are a lot of things in common. Obviously there will be some differences, but just changing employers will involve differences in systems anyway. I tend to agree with Jennifer - a real job is more promising than a temp(?) job.

T

tori2432

It is AS9100 and the quality tools they have are outstanding. I haven't seen so many new pieces of equipment in automotive in a long time.....! I start the day after memorial day!

howste

Thaumaturge
Super Moderator

It is AS9100 and the quality tools they have are outstanding. I haven't seen so many new pieces of equipment in automotive in a long time.....! I start the day after memorial day!
:agree1: Good luck on your new job! We'll be here to help if you need it...

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin

Congratulations! :applause: :applause: :applause: Please let us know how it goes. We're here for you!

T

tomvehoski

I'm late getting my two cents in on this one, so first - congratulations.

Probably a good move to bail on a contract assignment that can't get converted to permanent. I was stuck in one of those for five years due to hiring freezes.

I then managed to pick up a contract to permanent offer with a defense contractor. Unfortunately they did not win the bid on the project I was hired for six weeks after I started, so the "permanent" part never happened.

As for the markets, automotive seems to have hit rock bottom and is rebounding, so there may be security there as companies add people. I have a feeling Defense is in for some major cuts due to US budget deficit. Some programs will win, some will lose.

T

tori2432

Well I have been at my new job for just over a year now! We are growing at such a rate, it is crazy. We have a welding/fabricating plant that has received a grant to train welders since they are hard to find and just got another grant to train veterans! The Machining plant has just added a new huge addition for an enormous CNC machine that will be the biggest in the US and they also have a school and have a problem finding people to work on the CNC machines...?? (don't people want to work??) The plant I have my desk at just split into two, they bought a huge building and expanded and also bought an Aviation plant in Indiana. Job security for now is great.... they are introducing a new ERP system and I wanted to be part of the implementation, looks good on a resume!!:D

Wes Bucey

Quite Involved in Discussions
Well I have been at my new job for just over a year now! We are growing at such a rate, it is crazy. We have a welding/fabricating plant that has received a grant to train welders since they are hard to find and just got another grant to train veterans! The Machining plant has just added a new huge addition for an enormous CNC machine that will be the biggest in the US and they also have a school and have a problem finding people to work on the CNC machines...?? (don't people want to work??) The plant I have my desk at just split into two, they bought a huge building and expanded and also bought an Aviation plant in Indiana. Job security for now is great.... they are introducing a new ERP system and I wanted to be part of the implementation, looks good on a resume!!:D
I'm happy you seem to have found a good place to work.

Re: they also have a school and have a problem finding people to work on the CNC machines...?? (don't people want to work??)
When I was in the precision machining business, I, too, was, astounded at the bias against working as a CNC operator. In 1995, we were paying $50,000/year for a forty hour work week to programmer/operators. Beginning accountants with bachelor degrees from Big Ten schools were happy to get $35,000. We tried putting together a collective to offer apprenticeships subsidized by government grants, but couldn't get enough applicants to sustain the program.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L Job Aids for administrative staff in GLP environment Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
B Qualifcations of Staffing Agency Employees to meet job description General Auditing Discussions 6
K Looking for a job as Quality Engineer Career and Occupation Discussions 2
J New Job Position - Achieving ISO 13485 Certification ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
XRAY_3121 New Job with Wholesale Distributor Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 0
N Looking to Impress - New Job - Advice, Thoughts, Comments Welcome Career and Occupation Discussions 23
C Refreshing an old and boring topic - Job descriptions and Roles vs Process Documentation ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 38
BeaBea Organizational Charts and Job Titles Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 20
M IATF 16949 8.5.1.3 Verification of job set-ups - Do we need secondary check? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
B Product Safety Responsibility - Job shop such as a machine shop AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
JAMESH Job Safety - Lockout/Tagout and Respiratory Protocols Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
S Regulatory job in pharma vs. medical device US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 16
S Regulatory job in pharma vs. medical device CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
M Do I Expect Too Much of Job Candidates? Career and Occupation Discussions 33
JAMESH Building a "Lean" Job Shop Training Program Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 0
I "On the job training" as a response to how someone was trained? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 75
M Nonconformity for missing form number on the job description document Nonconformance and Corrective Action 1
Sidney Vianna Are the Accreditation Bodies doing their job? Keeping CB's accountable Registrars and Notified Bodies 0
T QMS Template Help - Small machine shop/job shop Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
I ISO 9001:2015 - On the Job Training and Records Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
G Job interview - So I have to do a presentation on PPAP APQP and PPAP 16
F Job Travelers questions - unsigned operations AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 41
Marc Posting Job Openings - Read Me Please - 27 January 2019 Job Openings, Consulting and Employment Opportunities 0
K Assigning the Correct Procedures Applicable to Job Titles General Auditing Discussions 15
W Job Card/Router sign off - Want to go paperless AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
S Is management representative a temporary post or a job title Management Review Meetings and related Processes 16
Q Have you ever "excluded" certain job descriptions from the QMS? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
C IATF 16949 Cl 8.5.1.3 - Verification of job set up IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
D How do you use statistics in your job Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
Sam Lazzara Notified Body CE Project Manager - Worst job ever? EU Medical Device Regulations 6
D Job Titles referenced in Procedures IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 18
Marc How did you "get" a full-time job? (A 2017 discussion) Career and Occupation Discussions 11
M Apply for a job when no opening is posted? Career and Occupation Discussions 64
M AS9100D excluding Design and Development - Small Job Shop AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 18
A Splitting Paper Routing Job Worksheets AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
N I updated my Job Description - Critiques Appreciated Career and Occupation Discussions 22
S Job travelers through a machine shop AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
L South of England - experienced Auditor / QMS looking for a new job Career and Occupation Discussions 1
I ISO 17025 Job Descriptions - People who have mutiple roles ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
A Best Method of Auditing an Installation Process at a client job-site ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
H Job Interview Question - Faulty machine Manufacturing and Related Processes 8
M Taking on a job outside of our ISO Scope ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
X Question about Job Documentation Requirements ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
H Job Descriptions to comply with ISO Standards ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
B Suggestions for job interview regarding CCD's (Charge Coupled Device) Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 3
O New Job 1 Month from Recertification Audit - Missing Documents, no Internal Audits ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 25
Z Control of Job Aid Videos Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
H AS9100 - Accountability for Job Travelers AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 25
R Gage Identification Methods in a Job Shop Calibration Frequency (Interval) 8
P Leadership Standards - New job as Quality Manager Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 9