Two job offers, one solution - Automotive vs. Defense Manufacturing Jobs

T

tori2432

Automotive industry quality engineer for over 10 years. Working as a contractor for an automotive supplier, corporate micromanaged global corporation. Just received an offer to go into defense/aerospace local plant with expanding business. Money is same, benefits and hours. Biggest turmoil is what to do! Contract position is trying hard to get a permanent position but the act requires U.K. corporate approval. Anyone work in defense/aerospace that has suggestions? How much different is it? I would be quality coordinator under quality director over 4 plants. Not much QE stuff but documentation, audits and training.

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
Re: Two job offers, one solution

Congratulations for such a wonderful problem!

Aerospace standards have a lot in common with ISO 9001.

I have a dumb question. Which country's defense standard would you be working to? AS9100 is said to be the "International" aerospace standard. But military standards may differ.

If it was me, I'd accept the real job offer over the maybe-job-offer.
:2cents:

A

Al Dyer

tori2432,

Welcome!

My guess is there is little difference. It would be a different piece of paper (policy, procedure, instructions etc...) with slightly different requirements. Jeez, go for it!. Just as aside I wonder why it is called defense instead of offense.

Whatever your decision enjoy the hard work and self determinism.

Al...

howste

Thaumaturge
Trusted Information Resource
I've worked in both industries and there are a lot of things in common. Obviously there will be some differences, but just changing employers will involve differences in systems anyway. I tend to agree with Jennifer - a real job is more promising than a temp(?) job.

T

tori2432

It is AS9100 and the quality tools they have are outstanding. I haven't seen so many new pieces of equipment in automotive in a long time.....! I start the day after memorial day!

howste

Thaumaturge
Trusted Information Resource

It is AS9100 and the quality tools they have are outstanding. I haven't seen so many new pieces of equipment in automotive in a long time.....! I start the day after memorial day!

:agree1: Good luck on your new job! We'll be here to help if you need it...

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin

Congratulations! :applause: :applause: :applause: Please let us know how it goes. We're here for you!

T

tomvehoski

I'm late getting my two cents in on this one, so first - congratulations.

Probably a good move to bail on a contract assignment that can't get converted to permanent. I was stuck in one of those for five years due to hiring freezes.

I then managed to pick up a contract to permanent offer with a defense contractor. Unfortunately they did not win the bid on the project I was hired for six weeks after I started, so the "permanent" part never happened.

As for the markets, automotive seems to have hit rock bottom and is rebounding, so there may be security there as companies add people. I have a feeling Defense is in for some major cuts due to US budget deficit. Some programs will win, some will lose.

T

tori2432

Well I have been at my new job for just over a year now! We are growing at such a rate, it is crazy. We have a welding/fabricating plant that has received a grant to train welders since they are hard to find and just got another grant to train veterans! The Machining plant has just added a new huge addition for an enormous CNC machine that will be the biggest in the US and they also have a school and have a problem finding people to work on the CNC machines...?? (don't people want to work??) The plant I have my desk at just split into two, they bought a huge building and expanded and also bought an Aviation plant in Indiana. Job security for now is great.... they are introducing a new ERP system and I wanted to be part of the implementation, looks good on a resume!!:D

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Well I have been at my new job for just over a year now! We are growing at such a rate, it is crazy. We have a welding/fabricating plant that has received a grant to train welders since they are hard to find and just got another grant to train veterans! The Machining plant has just added a new huge addition for an enormous CNC machine that will be the biggest in the US and they also have a school and have a problem finding people to work on the CNC machines...?? (don't people want to work??) The plant I have my desk at just split into two, they bought a huge building and expanded and also bought an Aviation plant in Indiana. Job security for now is great.... they are introducing a new ERP system and I wanted to be part of the implementation, looks good on a resume!!:D
I'm happy you seem to have found a good place to work.

Re: they also have a school and have a problem finding people to work on the CNC machines...?? (don't people want to work??)
When I was in the precision machining business, I, too, was, astounded at the bias against working as a CNC operator. In 1995, we were paying $50,000/year for a forty hour work week to programmer/operators. Beginning accountants with bachelor degrees from Big Ten schools were happy to get $35,000. We tried putting together a collective to offer apprenticeships subsidized by government grants, but couldn't get enough applicants to sustain the program.

Top Bottom