Type 1 Gage r study

Hi,

I am trying to conduct a study on a wire geometry. Once sample is prepared and fixed at machine, machine can measure the part automatically.

May be very basic questions relating to Type 1 study:

1. Once a part is measured for the first time (after first set up), now for second measurement, would we remove the part and again prepare it for measurement? I believe, Type 1 study is a repeatability study, conducted to be just before detailed Gage R&R, and I assume, we just need to repeatedly use equipment to trigger measurement again and again. We do not disturb the sample piece during the study. By this way, the variation shall be all equipment related and operator caused variations are not in built in the measurements done.

2. AIAG manual describes Gage R & R, but what is the reference for Type 1 study?

Kindly guide on the above matter.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
In the absence of a standard, we have to look at the intent of a Type 1 Repeatability Study for guidance. The intent of the Type 1 study is to remove as many extraneous sources of variation and to focus on the best the gage itself can accomplish. This includes:
  1. Same method,
  2. Same operator,
  3. Same equipment,
  4. Same environmental conditions,
  5. Same location, and
  6. Same item or unit under test.
Given this, I would say that you do not disturb the piece during study. I did find a good explanatory source that does make reference to international standards.

Thanks a lot. Your text and reference do helps to clear many things.
I have conducted a study based on the above understanding and can interpret the results. I have another questions though after this study:

1. There are specification of some organization of Cg & Cgk >1.33 and %Var(Repeatability) and %Var(Repeatability and bias) <15%, where is that defined, is there any reference manual for such guidelines?
2. there are no Cg and Cgk for one sided tolerance, so how do I interpret the result in that case?

Thanks again.

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
  1. I am not aware of any standards, references or guidelines for Cg/Cgk.
  2. The only guidance that I was able to find was for a maximum specification, to use zero as the lower spec. However, I have not had a need to use Cg/Cgk, so my actual experience with it is nil.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N % Tolerance - Type 1 study on the gages, then a gage R&R (ANOVA) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
M Definitive answer on Type 1 vs Type 2 vs Type 3 Gage Study Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 0
B Minitab Type 1 Gage Study on True Position Question Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 1
A Gage type 1 study on CMM Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 2
P What is a Type 3 Gage Study? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
G Ford - Type 1 Gage Study MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) acceptable? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
H Type 1 Gage Study Interpretation Question Using Minitab Software 7
S Minitab: Type 1 Gage Study vs. Gage R&R Study Using Minitab Software 5
M Type 1 Gage Study - What's your opinion on this gage? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
J Type 1 Gage Study Excel Template Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 5
S Type 1 Gage R&R or something else? Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 6
M For a Type 1 Gage R&R I want to use 1 unit and measure it 30 times Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
J Type 1 GRR (Gage R&R) on a One Sided Specification Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
M Type 1 Gage R&R - Analyzing Run Chart and I-mR Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 12
M Type 2 GR&R (Gage R&R): % Contribution & % Std Var Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
W Type 1 Gauge (Gage) R&R Excel Template anyone? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 21
A Gage Block Repair - What type of stone is acceptable for removing burrs General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
G Gage R&R for every gauge? Or is it only every type of gauge? MSA 3rd Edition Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 13
Marc Errors - Uncertainty Type I, II, or Alpha, Beta vs. Gage R&R Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 1
Z Why Control Limits are not the same depending on type of exclusion of data points Using Minitab Software 7
A IATF MSA study Type 1 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
Nihls MSA Study Type 2 (special conditions ) IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
M Class II type machine , and its compliance with 60601-1 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 14
W What is the difference between TYPE B and TYPE BF? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
Nihls MSA Study Type 1 (CMM) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
D Separation of F-type applied part and remaining parts IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 7
M MSA Study Type 1 not capable. We are at the limit. And manufacturing wants to continue producing. Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
cnbrosa Study Type 1 on a CMM using a measuring support Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
A Fabric roll inspection - What type of Control Chart to use? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
A AMSQQP416E Class 2 type 2 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0
S Are EC type examinations still being conducted under MDR? EU Medical Device Regulations 5
S Medical watch Class II (AP Type CF) with USB connection IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 7
Johnnymo62 Non Aerospace topics - Anything for military trucks, trailers, Humvee type vehicles? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
N BF-type applied part MOPP vs secondary IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
Marcel DS GOST-R (Type approval for Vehicles in Russia) Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 0
I Old Time Scatter diagrams for defect type and location- software Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 7
P Surgical masks ( type IIR) - Cleanroom Requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 3
W Insulation requirements of BF type infant skin temperature probe IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
Jane's Like-for-like critical raw material change qualification - type of testing/ number of lots required ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
N Infant radiant warmer - Heater Quartz Element type Other Medical Device Related Standards 0
K Validation of new machine (second machine of the same type) Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 2
F Operator Manual and Type B Uncertainty Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 3
M SI #7 8.4.2.1 Type and extent of control_supplemental IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
B F-type applied part - Separation from ALL(?) other parts IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 8
A IATF Sanctioned Interpretation No. 7 - Type and Extent of Control (supplemental) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
K F-TYPE APPLIED PART IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
I AS9100 8.4.2 Type and Extent of Control - External provider test reports Manufacturing and Related Processes 24
F Determining what type of scrap to include in my internal PPM calculation Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 5
R In this type of Legal Manufacturer-CMO arrangement, what happens to the DHR? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
J AQL for Effectiveness Check - What AQL tiers to use on this type of sampling? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 9