Type K Thermocouple drift

C

chriswhitehead

I have calibrated 7 k type thermocouples that were used in an autoclave at 350°C for 12 months

Each thmcpl was around 6°C high. I check with brand new thmcpls and my kit was okay.

I did some research and found this:

“The reasons for the instability in Type K thermocouples are due to some inherent properties in the chromel/alumel material.
One problem that occurs with this thermocouple is an effect called short-range ordering. It occurs in a temperature
range of about 500°F to 1020°F (260°C to 549°C) when nickel and chromium atoms in the chromel leg tend to form an ordered crystalline
structure. The ordering produces a different metallurgical structure and if a temperature gradient exists, an erroneous
EMF is produced”

It doesn’t say over what period of time this may occur

So my question is: is it normal for the k types to drift that much over such a short period of time if used at 350°C

Great site.

:nope::confused::bonk:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jerry Eldred

Forum Moderator
Super Moderator
Re: Type K Thermocouple drift?

The general presumption (erroneous) is that thermocouples don't change. Probing the back of my memory, I recall there is an oddity in K thermocouples wherein there is some add shift after prolonged use at certain temperatures. 260 C seems to ring a bell. I also seem to recall that they can be refreshed through annealing at a higher temperature. But I really can't remember the particulars.

My lab among other things calibrates high temp B and R thermocouples and they definitely do drift over time due to outgassing of Rhodium where platinum stays much more stable.

My intuitive answer about whether it is normal for K thermocouples to drift that much over 12 months is I think yes. Based upon that temperature range, the oddity in K (that I think you referenced) and that you apparently use them in a temp range that produces that oddity. And if I understand my inference in your question correctly, perhaps you are asking that if this is an anomaly, whether you should consider it as such and not be concerned with the interval.

Sounds like the appropriate thing may be to establish a calibration interval commensurate with the amount of change and your process tolerances. You may just need to regularly change out the K thermocouples. Or if your hardware allows, perhaps you could switch to another thermocouple type (I'm guessing that may not be feasible).

BradM

Leader
Admin

Excellent response as usual, Jerry.

Sounds like the appropriate thing may be to establish a calibration interval commensurate with the amount of change and your process tolerances. You may just need to regularly change out the K thermocouples. Or if your hardware allows, perhaps you could switch to another thermocouple type (I'm guessing that may not be feasible).
This is what I was thinking. I have always considered process thermocouples expendable (as opposed to standard thermocouples like R and S; $$$). They do wear out and develop error over time.

I don't know how many T/C's we're talking about. Maybe you can justify replacing all (or a portion of them) during periodic maintenance. If you are verifying them, if you have the data and can demonstrate when they begin to drift, that should be adequate justification for replacement.

C

chriswhitehead

:magic: Hi, thanks for the advice. Interestingly enough this has come back to haunt me with a new project manager on the job. He has asked how we can dictate when any of the large number k types has drifted enough to produce erroneous results. My answer is to shorten the calibration period but the tests that are run in the associated autoclaves run for two years. I also said we need to find a pattern in the failure rates ie age of thermocouples. Another suggestion I made wast to use one r type amongst the k's in each autoclave. This could high light the amount of drift in the k's themselves. However I know r types are very expensive. I'm at a loss to suggest anything else now :deadhorse:

P

PaulJSmith

Assuming you've been collecting data in the three years since the original post, that in itself could make a compelling argument.

As for your "very expensive" argument against the R-type; are they more expensive than your potential loss in time, material, and on-time delivery should you end up with a run of non-conforming product? Product impact? Customer confidence?

dwperron

Trusted Information Resource
Jerry has a good memory (and good counsel).

I went looking in AMS 2750E (the SAE bible on pyrometry) and found that they severely restrict the acceptable use of type K thermocouples in controlling, monitoring, and recording instruments:
If you are using expendable thermocouples (plastic or fabric covered) they are not permitted to be re-calibrated - they are to be replaced.
If you have non-expendable type K thermocouples (metal sheathed or ceramic insulators) they can be recalibrated at 3 month intervals IF USED AT OR BELOW 500?F (260?C) - otherwise not permitted

It looks like regular replacement may be your best option.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N Thermocouple Inhomogeneity - Need to calibrate a roll of 50m thermocouple type K General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
X Separation of battery powered FB type applied part IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
R Separation and PE Requirements of a Type B Applied Part IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
D Gage type and data base maintainence Using GAGEpack Software 2
Judy Abbott Type of contact- 10993-1:2018 Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
P Type of MSA study according to measurement equipment Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
CaliperJim Interval Type After First Use (AFU) General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
R Repeatability Type 1 Gage and Gage R&R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
Z Why Control Limits are not the same depending on type of exclusion of data points Using Minitab Software 7
A IATF MSA study Type 1 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
M Type 1 Gage r study Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
Nihls MSA Study Type 2 (special conditions ) IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
M Class II type machine , and its compliance with 60601-1 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 14
W What is the difference between TYPE B and TYPE BF? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
Nihls MSA Study Type 1 (CMM) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
D Separation of F-type applied part and remaining parts IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 13
M MSA Study Type 1 not capable. We are at the limit. And manufacturing wants to continue producing. Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
cnbrosa Study Type 1 on a CMM using a measuring support Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
A Fabric roll inspection - What type of Control Chart to use? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
A AMSQQP416E Class 2 type 2 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0
S Are EC type examinations still being conducted under MDR? EU Medical Device Regulations 5
S Medical watch Class II (AP Type CF) with USB connection IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 7
Johnnymo62 Non Aerospace topics - Anything for military trucks, trailers, Humvee type vehicles? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
N BF-type applied part MOPP vs secondary IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
Marcel DS GOST-R (Type approval for Vehicles in Russia) Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 0
S Type 1 Gage R&R or something else? Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 6
I Old Time Scatter diagrams for defect type and location- software Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 7
P Surgical masks ( type IIR) - Cleanroom Requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 3
W Insulation requirements of BF type infant skin temperature probe IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
Jane's Like-for-like critical raw material change qualification - type of testing/ number of lots required ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
N Infant radiant warmer - Heater Quartz Element type Other Medical Device Related Standards 0
N % Tolerance - Type 1 study on the gages, then a gage R&R (ANOVA) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
M Definitive answer on Type 1 vs Type 2 vs Type 3 Gage Study Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 0
K Validation of new machine (second machine of the same type) Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 2
F Operator Manual and Type B Uncertainty Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 3
B Minitab Type 1 Gage Study on True Position Question Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 1
M SI #7 8.4.2.1 Type and extent of control_supplemental IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
B F-type applied part - Separation from ALL(?) other parts IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 8
A Gage type 1 study on CMM Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 2
A IATF Sanctioned Interpretation No. 7 - Type and Extent of Control (supplemental) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
K F-TYPE APPLIED PART IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
I AS9100 8.4.2 Type and Extent of Control - External provider test reports Manufacturing and Related Processes 24
F Determining what type of scrap to include in my internal PPM calculation Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 5
R In this type of Legal Manufacturer-CMO arrangement, what happens to the DHR? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
J AQL for Effectiveness Check - What AQL tiers to use on this type of sampling? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 9
T Type BF or CF (Direct conductive contact with the heart) IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
G MSA Type 1 - Cg and Cgk ranges Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
P IVDD - IFU related requirements - Type of information/statement expected EU Medical Device Regulations 1
B Documented process for type and extent of control IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
P Definition Business Type - Definition of what we do-Business Type Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 4