Typical Number of NCRs for a Small Manufacturing Company

Pcool

Involved In Discussions
I'd like input from other small manufacturing companies on the total amount of NCRs they produce quarterly. At my company Non-conformance reports are generated with every defect or mistake that is made relating to the product, right now we have about 50 reports generated every month.

insect warfare

QA=Question Authority
Trusted Information Resource
Re: Typical amount of NCRs for a small manufacturing company

I'm sure the # varies greatly, depending on a lot of factors such as industry, type of work done, company maturity levels, process controls, etc. - the list goes on. Most manufacturers I know of are keen on using automated systems, travelers or Kanban cards to control the most common types of nonconforming product. Some organizations just use a specialized form. Others will combine methods as needed...keep in mind that special cases may also require intervention through the internal audit and corrective action processes to keep NC product in check.

In my industry (manufacturing / refurbishment of cell phones), our small company deals with NC product on a daily basis - probably in the hundreds - and that's just daily. If you really want to benchmark your company, please share with us some details on what you do. That way you could get more specific responses from other Covers.

And welcome to the Cove!

Brian :rolleyes:

Pcool

Involved In Discussions
We produce high-end electronic flow measurement devices. We sell about 200 units a month. 50 NCRs per 200 units seems kind of high to me. We use a database application combined with a kanban system to look at NCRs. The frequency and types of issues I've spotted suggest a process/design flaw... I wanted to know if there are other small electronic manufacturers in a similar situation.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
We produce high-end electronic flow measurement devices. We sell about 200 units a month. 50 NCRs per 200 units seems kind of high to me. We use a database application combined with a kanban system to look at NCRs. The frequency and types of issues I've spotted suggest a process/design flaw... I wanted to know if there are other small electronic manufacturers in a similar situation.

What's important is dispositions. If you're writing things up that keep getting use-as-is dispositions and there's no impact as a result, it most probably means the specifications are wrong and should be fixed.

Pcool

Involved In Discussions
What's important is dispositions. If you're writing things up that keep getting use-as-is dispositions and there's no impact as a result, it most probably means the specifications are wrong and should be fixed.

Yes thanks, we have only had "use-as-is" on 3 of the 50. Most of the NCRs we generate end up as rework/sent to engineering. I always try to stress how important disposition and culpability are in recording the data for useful metrics...culpability always seems to be more difficult to obtain though.

Top Bottom