U-chart Sanity/File Review - Is the chart constructed properly?

P

Phil Fields

Hello,
I am using a U-Chart for the 1st time (actually I have not used statistics much in about 10 years), and would like to have someone review my file before I go much further.
The issue is that at receiving we are checking the torque of terminal screws on an electrical contactor, there are 6 screws per assembly we are checking. The minimum torque value is 45 in-lbs. We are using a torque wrench set @ 45 in-lbs with a flat head screw driver bit. If the Torque wrench “clicks” as soon as force is applied, than that terminal passes. If the there is any movement of the wrench before it "clicks", than the terminal fails. I am trying to determine and chart defects per unit per sample lot inspected.
Is the chart constructed properly?
Is this the best chart method to use?

Thank you,
Phil

Attachments

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Tim Folkerts

Trusted Information Resource
Phil,

I ran your numbers through Minitab and here is what it gave:

Date Defects Units PPOI1 CENL1 CONL1 CONL2
13-Jun-06 10 6 1.66667 1.76667 0.138785 3.39455
15-Jun-06 13 8 1.62500 1.76667 0.356879 3.17645
23-Jun-06 9 6 1.50000 1.76667 0.138785 3.39455
17-Jul-06 21 10 2.10000 1.76667 0.505715 3.02762

It is a little tough to read, but hopefully you can decipher it.

The control limits are tighter for larger sets, but your limits seem to just get tighter with time. And you don't have control limits for the first date, so I think there is something fundamentally different about the way you are getting your control limits compared to Minitab. You might want to double check how you did your calculations.

Tim F

P.S. One other thing I almost always suggest in cases like this is to consider is finding a way to measure the actual number for the torque, rather than just pass/fail. Pass/fail is clearly easier and more fool-proof (certainly important considerations), but variable data allows more robust data analysis.

P

Phil Fields

Tim,
Thank you for your response. I ran my numbers with QI Marco (Excel Based Stat program) and came up with the results that Minitab gave you. Now I know that I am on the right path, and can work with our supplier to track their corrective action.

I appreciate your help,
Phil
:thanks:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M X-MR Control Chart Rules (Particularly the MR) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
H What kind of chart to detect WHEN a in-process NC is about to occur? Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 2
D Organisational chart requirements IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
W Xbar R chart LCL and UCL in automotive Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
S Which chart would be apporiate Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 2
B Doubt about the correct control chart Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 14
Z Change color or shape of individual data point in control chart Using Minitab Software 6
C Elaborating a control chart with skewed data Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
B CQI-15 Welding Health Chart Frequency IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
R Microbiological test (USP61, USP62, USP71, ISO 11137.1, ISO11137.2) --- Testing flow chart Other Medical Device Related Standards 0
D Control chart selection of multiple batches review Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
S Linking control chart with control plan Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
E Organisational Chart-ISO 17025 Laboratory ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
Nihls Quality Control (stability) Chart for CMM's - How the control limits are to be calculated Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 2
G Need journal and reference of abnormal bar chart SPC Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
A R chart from ANOVA gage R&R test Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 12
A Attribute , for example C chart Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 16
A SPC procedure / flow chart Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
optomist1 Paynter Chart Example APQP and PPAP 1
A Fabric roll inspection - What type of Control Chart to use? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
Z Putting back excluded rows/data points in a control chart Using Minitab Software 0
B Control chart and sample time Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
J Control chart for huge sample size Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 9
R Capability analysis - What is going on this chart? Manufacturing and Related Processes 15
S How MR (Moving Range) in Z-MR chart is calculated Using Minitab Software 5
M What is "setup control chart"? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
D Virtual Documentation via Master Flow Chart? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 4
A Redesigning our process flow chart, PFMEA and Control Plan Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 4
K Vigilance process flow chart EU Medical Device Regulations 1
D Control chart applicable? Percentage of compliance with a standard Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
G I-chart form for GM GP-12 Customer and Company Specific Requirements 2
D Link between FMEA, flow chart and control plan FMEA and Control Plans 10
B How to do a control chart - Machining product that requires flatness control Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 1
D China - Where I can get NMPA complete structure/organogram chart and GB/YY format list China Medical Device Regulations 1
K Turtle diagram or process interaction chart - Making it easier for an auditor Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 23
D Should "Waste" be included as Output in SIPOC Chart? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 8
S Assembly House Process Chart ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
K Why calculate LCL in P-chart? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
B GM GP-12 Pre-Launch - They asking for a I chart Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
bobdoering SPC Charting frequency calculator for X hi/lo chart Imported Legacy Blogs 0
K Operating characteristic (OC) curve S chart Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
K What is the Beta RISK for S chart OF XBAR-S chart Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 0
S Understanding control chart and measurement capability Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
F Appropriate Control Chart Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
S used excel formula calculated the ARL's with Rule1&Rule2 for Shewhart control chart Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 0
H How to define Root Cause when some points are out of control chart Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
L Formulas to be able to answer these Run Chart questions Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
L The ARL for an X bar Control Chart (n = 5) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
L P-Chart Control Limit Calculation help Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
L A Complete Control Chart Decision Tree Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5