U.S. Export of Medical Device to Iran

tebusse

Involved In Discussions
Greetings,

With the recent U.S. amendment to the Iranian Transactions and Sanctions Regulations (ITSR) relating to the exportation of medical devices to Iran, my company would like to export an IVD product to a customer who contacted us a few weeks ago.

Our product does not fall on the List of Medical Devices Requiring Specific Authorization (effective 2016-12-23). Therefore, if my interpretation is correct we do not need to apply for a specific license from the Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) as our device falls under general license.

However, is anyone aware of additional steps we must take in order to export our product? Do we need a notarized, certification letter from our company to the Iranian Ministry of Health accompanying the product? Or, should such a letter, if required, be sent to the Iranian Ministry of Health directly?

Please advise.

Regards, Tonia

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

shimonv

Trusted Information Resource
I doubt how man Iranians there are in this forum.

Because of the instability, on the Iranian side I would direct the questions to the client or local distributor. And the US side, it's to double check your assumption with the OFAC.

Shimon

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
At this time I doubt there is an answer considering the extreme political changes in the US.

If anyone does have any thoughts on this by all means do so.

Sarah Stec

Involved In Discussions
I would also double check your assumption about OFAC with your attorney. Running afoul of these regulations could be really tragic, so it could be worth it to make sure you're on the right path with respect to these specific and general licenses.

I would also check with your attorney on what you need to do both on the ground in Iran to make sure your devices may be sold, and then again here in the US to make sure you get paid. What you want to avoid is your bank freezing your accounts because the payment for your product came from a bank that's on the blacklist.

:2cents:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
W Direct to customer export of medical device (class I: prescription lenses + frame) US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
G Medical Device export Shipping documents for US, EU and Asia Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
K Medical Device Listing for 801(e) Export of Uncleared 510(k)able Device Other US Medical Device Regulations 5
P Sampling QC Requirements for Medical Electrical Device Export to Japan Japan Medical Device Regulations 1
P Import-Export of Medical Device components into the US 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 24
T Medical Device Export to India - Electronic Transmission Only Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
P Impact to Japan's medical device export after the nuclear power accident Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 3
I Export Medical Device to Canada - Software for research use only Canada Medical Device Regulations 5
G Import to Export through a Distributor - Class II Medical Device 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
K Medical Device Import/Export Translation Requirements for each country EU Medical Device Regulations 25
chris1price Export of Medical Devices to Iran - Medical Device Regulations in Iran ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 25
S What are export requirements for Class I/II Medical Devices in Europe? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
C Bulgarian regulatory requirements for export of class IIb medical devices EU Medical Device Regulations 4
E Starting to write a Quality System Manual - Import/export medical devices - Need help ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
Ajit Basrur Regulatory requirements for export of Medical Devices to Thailand, Australia and US ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
O Export Of Approved Canadian Medical Devices - What export certs are needed ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
A Can a US manufacturer put export only products on a CFG? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
I Cannot Export multiple sections from Excel to PDF without losing pagination Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 23
J US Manufacturer of Export Only Exempt Products applying for CFG 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
D US Made class I CE Mark product for export only to EU Other US Medical Device Regulations 4
C Are we required to obtain a Certificate of Free Sales for export to China? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 6
M Diversified Data Systems OpenMETRIC software Data Export Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 1
C US manufacturer of export only devices Other US Medical Device Regulations 8
R Equivalent CE for export to Japan - Stand exibition with LED lights CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
K One time export to Saudi Arabia: SFDA and MDMA Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
B Options to export into the EU without a CE Mark (?) Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 3
Ronen E CDRH Export Certification and Tracking System launched Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
N Export & Import of Unapproved Device in USA for Service Purpose Only 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
R These countries require ISO/TS16949 or ISO9001 to General Motors Mexico to export? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
N Technology Control Plan with regards to Export Controlled Data Customer and Company Specific Requirements 7
T Export "Simple Notification" required by the FDA under Section 802 of the Act Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
R Export to Poland - CE Mark for Poland to export eletrical home device? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
L What is the/a Number of the German Export List or Negative Statement Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 4
R Export some dates from an excel spreadsheet - EXCEL Question Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 3
A Export - We would like to sell our products to various United States installations US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 5
Y Certificate of Exportability (Section 802) - Import for Export Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 1
D Export Ambulance CAR to EU country - which EU directive is applicable? EU Medical Device Regulations 10
S ITAR (International Traffic in Arms Regulations) - Export control procedure. Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 11
Ajit Basrur CDSCO Guidelines for Port Officers on Imp and Export of Drugs & Cosmetics Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 0
I PRG format saved in PCDMIS PRO V4.2 can't export to CATIA V5R16 Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
A What is required to export Class I (non exempt) 510(k) approved product to Mexico ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
K Seeking sample quality objective(s) for IMPEX (Import / Export) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
M Subcontracting a repair of Medical Devices Canada Medical Device Regulations 0
J 21 CFR 821 Medical Device Tracking Requirement 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
S Regrind Material in Medical Devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
S Iraq Medical Device registration Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
R Medical Device Software Certification IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 1
D Medical Device Accessories Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
F Change to Formulation due to Reach (China Medical Device Regulations) China Medical Device Regulations 0
R Accelerated Aging - Creating test samples - Implantable medical device Question Other Medical Device Related Standards 4