UCL/LCL calculations using Sbar and sigma

leaning

Involved In Discussions
Hello!

I have an sbar.
So I can calculate the UCL of an s-chart using B4 x sbar, and the LCL using B3 x sbar.

Now, using that same sbar, I can calculate UCL for an Xbar-S chart using Xdbar + A3 x sbar, and the LCL using Xdbar - A3 x Sbar.

OK.
Depending on where I look, sbar is called "standard deviation" or "sigma" (which I don't think is right), because..

There is another formula: UCL = Xdbar + 3 x sigma/sqrt(n)

This one uses sigma not s, but it also is referring to standard deviation.

Can anyone help explain how to use sigma vice sbar, and when to use that Xdbar +3 x sigma/sqrt (n) formula?

I appreciate your help.

Regards,
leaning

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
Depending on where I look, sbar is called "standard deviation" or "sigma" (which I don't think is right), because..
Sigma is the name of the Greek letter used to designate the standard deviation, so 'sigma' does refer to the standard deviation. Sbar is just the 'estimate' of the standard deviation. This estimate is calculated as the average standard deviation of several subgroups...they are all equivalent.

There is another formula: UCL = Xdbar + 3 x sigma/sqrt(n)

This one uses sigma not s, but it also is referring to standard deviation.

Can anyone help explain how to use sigma vice sbar, and when to use that Xdbar +3 x sigma/sqrt (n) formula?
The formula is the base formula for estimating the within subgroup standard deviation. You should NEVER use this specific formula. The s in this formula is the population standard deviation. It is divided by the square root of the sample size to estimate the variation of the sample averages. A2*Rbar or A3/4*sbar are the correct factors to use in calculating the control limits...

That said, I sense that you are studying for some exam (ASQ CQE?) by trying to remember formulas rather than by first trying to understand the methods and tools of Quality. If you are trying to do this I strongly suggest that you not. True knowledge and ability do not come from passing a test, they come from developing a deep understanding of the subject through study and practice. I suggest that you start with the collected works of Donald Wheeler. His articles are FREE at quality digest and at his SPC Press web site.

Last edited:

leaning

Involved In Discussions
Bev D,

Thanks. I'll take a look at what you said.

And FYI, I'm not studying for the exams. I already drove all over the country and took and passed them within a few months of each other: CQT, CQPA, CQIA, CQE, GB, CQI; already had BB). Now, Prometrics does them and so they are more readily available.

I was unemployed, and the local community college saw my resume and hired me part-time to teach a 27-hour cram course to aspiring CQEs to go along with their studies.

The stuff I ask about here on EC are things that aren't clear in my head that I may have muddled through on my own, but once you try to explain that to others, it becomes clear what you know and what you are trying to snow.

So, this isn't for a test for me; it's for my students to know it better than I did.

Thanks for your info and have a good one.:bigwave:

Regards,
leaning

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B IATF16949 audit requirement - Auditor request UCL and LCL must be show Xbar-R, IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
E Questions regarding Cpk Calculation - Should we be using LSL/USL or LCL/UCL? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 5
J Can someone help me get the UCL AND LCL for this problem? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
T Calculating LCL, UCL, Cp, and Cpk in an Excel Spreadsheet Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
R How to calculate UCL (Upper COntrol Limit) and LCL (Lower Control Limit) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
L Cpk after Data Transformation - How to Transform LCL /UCL to get Capability Report Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 8
B UCL minus LCL = 6 Sigma-hat = 6*RBar/d2? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
K How to Calculate UCL (Upper Control Limits) and LCL (Lower Control Limits) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 18
K Calculating UCL (Upper Control Limit) and LCL (Lower Control Limit) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 14
V How to calculate for LCL and UCL for Schedule Deviation Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 2
W When to change UCL and LCL - SPC Software Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
D Self define the UCL and LCL instead of by Calculation Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 12
C Control chart for operators - Data for Setting Mean, UCL and LCL Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
T EWMA Chart - Data needed to Calculate EWMA, UCL, and LCL Values Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
W How to Set Rules to Review SPC Center Line, UCL and LCL? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 15
B What is the difference between UCL, LCL and Cp, Cpk Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 3
I Calculation of UCL and LCL for SPC charts (Xbar-s) with sub-group sample of 32 pcs. Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
L One sided Control Chart with only UCL or LCL Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
M How to Calculate UCL (Upper Control Limit) & LCL (Lower Control Limit) & CL Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 73
J Cumulative Count of Conforming Control Chart (CCC) - Calculating UCL and LCL Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
C I need help verifying formula's in a database for LCL UCL Cp Cpk PPk Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 14
A When or how often should we update SPC (UCL and LCL) Control Limits? Every month? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
K Almost embarrassed to ask... SPC UCL/Data Range Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 4
D How do I draw Graph a Mean & Range Chart & FIND CL UCL UCL for this data on Excel Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
J What Control Chart should we use for factors without UCL? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 22
Q UCL (Upper Control Limit) Calculations - Sample Problem Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 11
M How to count the UCL for MEWMA (Multivariate Exponentially Weighted Moving Average) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
M Proper way to develop LCL when only given a lower spec limit Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 7
K Why calculate LCL in P-chart? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
B Understanding why my CpK and PpK are low, and LCL Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 20
T Conducting the "are all points within the control limits" test when there is no LCL? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
W SPC Software - Graphical Presentation & p-chart LCL formula Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
G Changing LCL (Lower Control Limit) on a Minitab Control Chart Using Minitab Software 13
A LCL < LSL - What do I do? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
N Accurate calculations of First Time Quality / First Time Yield Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
G How to include machine error in uncertainty calculations? Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 5
L K1, K2, and EV Calculations Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
M Value Stream Mapping Calculations Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 5
bobdoering Unilateral Tolerance Capability Calculations Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 1
M mtbf (mean time between failures) calculations of an assembly Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 10
M Stratified Random Sampling Calculations Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
B How to validate Microsoft Excel Spreadsheet Calculations for the Cpk value Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 9
M Design Verification: "Difference" in Sample Size Calculations? Design and Development of Products and Processes 1
S Plug Discharge Test Calculations IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
Jerry Eldred When Does Resolution of Measurement Standard Apply in Uncertainty Calculations General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 14
D Minitab Cpk calculations results in * Using Minitab Software 4
B Using Standard Deviations (sigma, σ) in Calculations Using Minitab Software 6
AnaMariaVR2 Guide to Microsoft Excel for Calculations, Statistics, and Plotting Data Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 11
T Sample Size Calculations taking into account Cost and Test Time Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 2
S Anova Gage R&R Calculations for 4 Operators Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2