UDI and complaints

C

cabjerk

Hello,

When we receive a complaint it is traced back to the serial number of the unit.
Under 820.198 e (3) it states that "Any unique device identifier (UDI) or universal product code (UPC) AND any other device identification (s) and control number used."

Is this part only for complaints that are reportable back to FDA or is this for ALL complaints?

I know it's hard enough to get a customer to tell you the serial number let alone the full UDI number.

Just need some feedback.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
M

miken99

UDI is a government regulated program by the US FDA. It is a mandatory program intended to improve patient safety by monitoring and police the medical device supply chain. The FDA designed the UDI programs labeling and data components to permit them to accurately and quickly respond to foreseen issues with suppliers and products.

With that understanding, I am pretty sure they want the full UDI on any product complaint sent to the FDA. It helps a lot. I also think that they will probably evaluate any complaints. There is a FDA UDI helpdesk.

Regarding general complaints to other than the FDA, the UDI typically has the important fields of data necessary for a manufacturer to track down what happened and when it happened. However, there is no law regulating what you have to send them in a complaint.

As UDI and DSCSA get 'baked in' to our healthcare system, I think you will find that all reporting systems will come to rely on scanning the UDI or DSCSA barcodes into their systems. Accurate and easy.

C

cabjerk

Thank you for this feedback.

Yes, we understand the importance of the UDI and find it helpful. Our serial number will link back to the UDI in our systems.

Rewording my question, Is it required for your internal complaint systems to have the UDI or is the serial number ok per the 820?

Our internal complaint system does not have the UDI listed and only serial numbers and this is what FDA wrote us up on that we don't use the UDI in our system.

M

miken99

The UDI contains a DI (device identifier) and a PI (production identifiers such as serial, lot, mfg date) section.

The way I read 820.198 e (3) is that they essentially want both types of data either in the form of the UDI or in another form i.e. 'or universal product code (UPC) AND any other device identification (s) and control number used'. I think the serial number alone is not enough to satisfy their regulations.

You might be able to request an extension?

Edward Reesor

Trusted Information Resource
Since the UDI is by definition a device identifier, it would serve your best interests to use it whenever possible in your complaints handling or by the information that is contained therein. For example, I would hope that your internal device tracking uses the serial number, lot number and date of manufacture which is essential information in the UDI itself.

I always ask for a picture of the label to capture all of this information as its easier for the person lodging the complaint to perform.

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Leader
Super Moderator
Thank you for this feedback.

Yes, we understand the importance of the UDI and find it helpful. Our serial number will link back to the UDI in our systems.

Rewording my question, Is it required for your internal complaint systems to have the UDI or is the serial number ok per the 820?

Our internal complaint system does not have the UDI listed and only serial numbers and this is what FDA wrote us up on that we don't use the UDI in our system.
(my emphasis)

So to be clear -you have UDI on your devices... you comply there. Right?
You are just not using the UDI in your complaint tracking system and an FDA inspector was not pleased with that.
Is that the gist?

Was it a 483 or just an observation?

I don't see anywhere in guidances or standards that require the UDI to used in your internal tracking. While it might be a good, easier practice if you can get to the same result with the part number and serial number you should be fine.
Is cost prohibitive to change your process to add a field to satisfy this inspector? It might be easier than the fight.

Edward Reesor

Trusted Information Resource
Excellent point. We only have UDI on our Class II devices that are sold in the USA. On the Class I devices that currently do not require UDI, we have not created them so there is nothing to track except the Lot number.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R UDI dates EUDAMED EU Medical Device Regulations 0
I UDI in Europe and US EU Medical Device Regulations 3
G UDI in EU vs FDA EU Medical Device Regulations 1
G UDI or not? EU Medical Device Regulations 0
M UDI IVD - before submission? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
N UDI for OTS Components Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
J Assigning UDI's for own brand products EU Medical Device Regulations 11
M UDI IVD Medical Device Class III US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
E UDI on product/packaging levels EU Medical Device Regulations 7
O 14-digits UDI EU Medical Device Regulations 3
L Looking for SOP Template for UDI under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 4
P MDR Article 27 - UDI - Keeping records of UDIs EU Medical Device Regulations 1
S BASIC UDI-DI for a class IIa device marketed in a Procedure kit EU Medical Device Regulations 1
C UDI assignment and labeling. EU Medical Device Regulations 4
C Labelling and UDI Requirements - Implications of serial numbers US Medical Device Regulations 1
D Basic udi-di to not appear on IFU? EU Medical Device Regulations 4
R Legacy Device UDI Requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 5
R UDI Requirement at home patient use EU Medical Device Regulations 2
P UDI on devices exclusively intended for retail point of sale EU Medical Device Regulations 3
J UDI and Labelling hierarchy and requirements for separate device components EU Medical Device Regulations 7
M UDI barcode quality EU Medical Device Regulations 3
C How to place software version for SaMD product in HIBC secondary data structure (UDI-PI)? Other US Medical Device Regulations 4
C Issues with UDI-DI and LAA/LUA registration in Eudamed EU Medical Device Regulations 2
Watchcat Mobile app - Different UDI for different smartphones? Other US Medical Device Regulations 7
Watchcat One UDI per country? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
Watchcat UDI Timeframes? Other US Medical Device Regulations 7
A UDI-PI for IVDs used in house EU Medical Device Regulations 5
G SRN, Basic UDI, Legal Manufacturer EU Medical Device Regulations 6
A Basic UDI and UDI-DI for hip implant systems EU Medical Device Regulations 1
T FDA UDI Question - Class II Medical Device Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
R UDI Number Identification EU Medical Device Regulations 5
I Eudamed UDI-Module EU Medical Device Regulations 9
L Configurable UDI mdr EU Medical Device Regulations 0
L UDI implementation in Saudi Arabi (KSA) Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
L UDI-DI - Device will be sold by itself in a box EU Medical Device Regulations 2
P Basic UDI-DI and Legacy Devices EU Medical Device Regulations 19
C UDI for consumable/replacement components under the MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 7
K UDI for two units with different S/N on the same package/case Other US Medical Device Regulations 10
C Validation of process for releasing the UDI EU Medical Device Regulations 4
A MDR requirement where unit of use packaging is too small for UDI carrier EU Medical Device Regulations 1
L UDI needed when we submit to ON? EU Medical Device Regulations 5
S Does a refurbished product required a new UDI? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
A UDI for product already packed up EU Medical Device Regulations 0
M Brand owner or manufacturer responsible for Basic UDI-DI and UDI-DI? EU Medical Device Regulations 8
Aymaneh UDI-PI Software CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
J UDI-DI how should we interpret Device version or model to determine if a new UDI-DI is needed? EU Medical Device Regulations 0
P UDI-PI requirements on reusable surgical device, do we need serialisation? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
J UDI - Where to document it? EU Medical Device Regulations 8
N UDI: GS1 or HIBC ??? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
F UDI-PI required on packaging (MDR) EU Medical Device Regulations 4