UDI on medical device: Does it make other markings obsolete?

A

arturo_papito

Hi everybody from barcelona,

Current situation: We print in our medical device boxes some data that has to be included in UDI. The expiry date (format AAA-MM) and the Batch. Also symbols associated to those concepts, “sand clock” for expiry date and a LOT for the batch.
We have Classes 3, 2 and 1.

Future: With UDI all that info must be incluced in a barcode attached to de device (normally a data matrix with also Human readable information at one side with GTIN, exp date, and batch).

It is “the same” logical info but in different format…so, with UDI what can I remove from current markings? The data, the symbols, both, none? It looks like the data could be removed as it is really duplicated…but the symbols?

Anyone has a clear picture? Does UDI make some of these other requierement obsolete? Which ones.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

rob73

looking for answers
Hi Arturo
I am treating the UDI as an additional requirement, not a replacement. The LOT and expiry date (production identifiers) are not mandatory in the UDI therefore I think they should still appear on the packaing. If you want to include them in the UDI then it will need to be clear that what the numbers stand for. i.e in GS1 speak (10) is LOT or serial number, (17) is expiry date, so not imeadiatley clear to the user what they mean. It is a matter for your risk management process to decide if the risk of misinterpteration is acceptable or not.

A

arturo_papito

Hi Arturo
I am treating the UDI as an additional requirement, not a replacement. The LOT and expiry date (production identifiers) are not mandatory in the UDI therefore I think they should still appear on the packaing. If you want to include them in the UDI then it will need to be clear that what the numbers stand for. i.e in GS1 speak (10) is LOT or serial number, (17) is expiry date, so not imeadiatley clear to the user what they mean. It is a matter for your risk management process to decide if the risk of misinterpteration is acceptable or not.
Thanks for the answer.

My idea about this was that we would use a datamatrix with the following information in HRI (for instance)
GTIN ( ) .....
LOT: (10)0000123456
Expir.date (17)201131 (in AAMMDD)

So the UDI-DI would be the GTIN and the UDI-PI the lot + expiry date

So from the point of view of the common sense it looks like other markings can be skippd, as they are "repeated" in meaning. But I am afraid that the regulation may make me keep the symbols (sand clock for expery date and LOT inside a square for the lot) and the data for the date in format AAAA-MM additionally.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T FDA UDI Question - Class II Medical Device Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
J Class 1 Medical Device - Using a UPC over the UDI? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
J FDA Class 1 Medical Device UDI requirements Other US Medical Device Regulations 19
M UDI labeling MDR requirement for reusable medical device accessories EU Medical Device Regulations 12
S Understanding UDI requirements - Class 2 medical device (hearing aids) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
S Medical device mobile app UDI - Where is the UDI labelled? Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
K UDI Labeling for Medical Device Samples 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
shimonv Is UDI required on the Packaging of a Serviced/Repaired Medical Device? Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
C Class I Medical Device ProCode JCB Question 2 (UDI) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
C Labeling and UDI requirements for medical device kits 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
Pmarszal Label Printing: Medical Device related UDI Requirements - GUDID Aspects Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
P UDI Registration - Class II Medical Device Software Other US Medical Device Regulations 11
K UDI "Version or Model" for Stand-Alone Medical Device Software US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 6
B Class II Medical Device UDI (Unique Device Identification) Question(s) Other US Medical Device Regulations 8
J UDI (Unique Device Identification) and Reprocessing Medical Devices Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 10
W Class II Medical Device Unique Device Identifier (UDI) Requirements US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 8
J Looking for a template SOP for UDI implementation for EU Medical Devices EU Medical Device Regulations 1
F EUDAMED UDI Medical Devices User's Guide Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 7
J UDI requirements for serialized medical devices with multiple configurations Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 11
bio_subbu GHTF Issues Draft Guidance Document on UDI System for Medical Devices Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
R UDI Number Identification EU Medical Device Regulations 1
I Eudamed UDI-Module EU Medical Device Regulations 9
L Configurable UDI mdr EU Medical Device Regulations 0
L UDI implementation in Saudi Arabi (KSA) Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
L UDI-DI - Device will be sold by itself in a box EU Medical Device Regulations 2
P Basic UDI-DI and Legacy Devices EU Medical Device Regulations 7
C UDI for consumable/replacement components under the MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 2
K UDI for two units with different S/N on the same package/case Other US Medical Device Regulations 10
C Validation of process for releasing the UDI EU Medical Device Regulations 4
A MDR requirement where unit of use packaging is too small for UDI carrier EU Medical Device Regulations 1
L UDI needed when we submit to ON? EU Medical Device Regulations 5
S Does a refurbished product required a new UDI? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
A UDI for product already packed up EU Medical Device Regulations 0
M Brand owner or manufacturer responsible for Basic UDI-DI and UDI-DI? EU Medical Device Regulations 6
Aymaneh UDI-PI Software CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
J UDI-DI how should we interpret Device version or model to determine if a new UDI-DI is needed? EU Medical Device Regulations 0
P UDI-PI requirements on reusable surgical device, do we need serialisation? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
J UDI - Where to document it? EU Medical Device Regulations 8
N UDI: GS1 or HIBC ??? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
F UDI-PI required on packaging (MDR) EU Medical Device Regulations 4
C UDI Questions on Control Units Other US Medical Device Regulations 6
M Supplier requirements - Major supplier is a Non-Profit registered with ICCBBA (FDA UDI) Supply Chain Security Management Systems 12
K Two FDA questions regarding UDI (and potentially 803.52 MDR) Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
V UDI - OEM or OBL / Legal Manufacturer Responsibility CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
A European UDI-DI CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
N FDA UDI - Label vs. Labeling - Does the insert need to include UDI? Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
K Is UDI (Unique Device Identifier) symbol mandatory under EU MDR? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
M UDI procedure/ report 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
R Shall a new UDI-DI be required when stand-alone software device's version is updated? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
D Hospital Decontamination and the MDR - Technical Files, UDI and PMS EU Medical Device Regulations 3