UDI on medical device: Does it make other markings obsolete?

Hi everybody from barcelona,

Current situation: We print in our medical device boxes some data that has to be included in UDI. The expiry date (format AAA-MM) and the Batch. Also symbols associated to those concepts, “sand clock” for expiry date and a LOT for the batch.
We have Classes 3, 2 and 1.

Future: With UDI all that info must be incluced in a barcode attached to de device (normally a data matrix with also Human readable information at one side with GTIN, exp date, and batch).

It is “the same” logical info but in different format…so, with UDI what can I remove from current markings? The data, the symbols, both, none? It looks like the data could be removed as it is really duplicated…but the symbols?

Anyone has a clear picture? Does UDI make some of these other requierement obsolete? Which ones.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

rob73

looking for answers
Hi Arturo
I am treating the UDI as an additional requirement, not a replacement. The LOT and expiry date (production identifiers) are not mandatory in the UDI therefore I think they should still appear on the packaing. If you want to include them in the UDI then it will need to be clear that what the numbers stand for. i.e in GS1 speak (10) is LOT or serial number, (17) is expiry date, so not imeadiatley clear to the user what they mean. It is a matter for your risk management process to decide if the risk of misinterpteration is acceptable or not.

Hi Arturo
I am treating the UDI as an additional requirement, not a replacement. The LOT and expiry date (production identifiers) are not mandatory in the UDI therefore I think they should still appear on the packaing. If you want to include them in the UDI then it will need to be clear that what the numbers stand for. i.e in GS1 speak (10) is LOT or serial number, (17) is expiry date, so not imeadiatley clear to the user what they mean. It is a matter for your risk management process to decide if the risk of misinterpteration is acceptable or not.
Thanks for the answer.

My idea about this was that we would use a datamatrix with the following information in HRI (for instance)
GTIN ( ) .....
LOT: (10)0000123456
Expir.date (17)201131 (in AAMMDD)

So the UDI-DI would be the GTIN and the UDI-PI the lot + expiry date

So from the point of view of the common sense it looks like other markings can be skippd, as they are "repeated" in meaning. But I am afraid that the regulation may make me keep the symbols (sand clock for expery date and LOT inside a square for the lot) and the data for the date in format AAAA-MM additionally.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Class 1 Medical Device - Using a UPC over the UDI? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
J FDA Class 1 Medical Device UDI requirements Other US Medical Device Regulations 19
M UDI labeling MDR requirement for reusable medical device accessories EU Medical Device Regulations 12
S Understanding UDI requirements - Class 2 medical device (hearing aids) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
S Medical device mobile app UDI - Where is the UDI labelled? Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
K UDI Labeling for Medical Device Samples 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
shimonv Is UDI required on the Packaging of a Serviced/Repaired Medical Device? Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
C Class I Medical Device ProCode JCB Question 2 (UDI) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
C Labeling and UDI requirements for medical device kits 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
Pmarszal Label Printing: Medical Device related UDI Requirements - GUDID Aspects Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
P UDI Registration - Class II Medical Device Software Other US Medical Device Regulations 9
K UDI "Version or Model" for Stand-Alone Medical Device Software US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 6
B Class II Medical Device UDI (Unique Device Identification) Question(s) Other US Medical Device Regulations 8
J UDI (Unique Device Identification) and Reprocessing Medical Devices Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 10
W Class II Medical Device Unique Device Identifier (UDI) Requirements US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 8
J Looking for a template SOP for UDI implementation for EU Medical Devices EU Medical Device Regulations 0
F EUDAMED UDI Medical Devices User's Guide Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 6
J UDI requirements for serialized medical devices with multiple configurations Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 11
bio_subbu GHTF Issues Draft Guidance Document on UDI System for Medical Devices Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
N FDA UDI - Label vs. Labeling - Does the insert need to include UDI? Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
K Is UDI (Unique Device Identifier) symbol mandatory under EU MDR? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M UDI procedure/ report 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
R Shall a new UDI-DI be required when stand-alone software device's version is updated? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
D Hospital Decontamination and the MDR - Technical Files, UDI and PMS EU Medical Device Regulations 3
F UDI - Unit of Use and Class I, single-use devices EU Medical Device Regulations 4
F UDI Registration - Who is responsible for Registration of the Device? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 11
M UDI Database and EUDAMED - Will there be two separate databases? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
Q Must product name be listed the same name in FURLS, UDI, GUDID and Company Website? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
Q LOT or Serial Number Symbol not used when the information is contained in the UDI? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
M Basic UDI and technical documentation EU Medical Device Regulations 1
A UDI and Design Controls - Labeling change via the Design Control process 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
M MDR Requirements - UDI/Barcodes/QR codes on IFUs EU Medical Device Regulations 4
M UDI transition period and implementation EU Medical Device Regulations 6
M UDI size on packaging EU Medical Device Regulations 3
R UDI for US - Third Party device Repackager Other US Medical Device Regulations 9
M UDI placement - Packaging levels EU Medical Device Regulations 2
L UDI Requirments Gap Analysis - EU MDR vs FDA CFR EU Medical Device Regulations 8
M DI format for UDI after we have registered it with GS1 Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
P UDI labeling for power module IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 6
DitchDigger UDI, Labeling Accessories, General Insanity, Etc. US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
K China UDI Implementation for October 1st 2019 China Medical Device Regulations 4
A What is the difference between Basic UDI-DI and UDI-DI? EU Medical Device Regulations 5
M UDI-PI on a package that contains more devices EU Medical Device Regulations 3
M Informational EU – Unique Device Identification (UDI) System – FAQs Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
Z Do we still have to put UDI if we have DI and lot number seperately on our product ? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
M EU Basic UDI-DI Trigger Points - When is a new Basic UDI-DI required EU Medical Device Regulations 3
P UDI-PI and the MDR - Is the UDI-PI required for all devices/classifications? EU Medical Device Regulations 8
M Informational US FDA issued the first warning letter for UDI violations to help ensure compliance Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
K Hospital UDI requirements Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 7
J UDI Requirements - Products that all fall under the same family 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3