Search the Elsmar Cove!
**Search ALL of Elsmar.com** with DuckDuckGo including content not in the forum - Search results with No ads.

UDI-PI on a package that contains more devices

med_cert

Involved In Discussions
In IMDRF UDI WG's "Unique Device Identification system (UDI system) Application Guide" from 21 March 2019, the folowing example is presented

Example 2: A manufacturer manufactures two versions/models
of a device. Model A is more popular than Model B. To sell
more of Model B, the two models, when sent to retailers and
distributors, are packaged in an assorted case that always
includes 5 of Model A and 3 of Model B, i.e. a standard configuration.
Although both devices may have similar indications for use,
Model A and Model B were not combined in a device package
with the intent they are used together to achieve a common
intended use. Rather, these two or more different
models/versions of devices were packaged together for business reasons.
This package configuration itself is neither a device nor a kit but a shipping configuration.
However, to adequately identify this fixed configuration through distribution and use, packages require UDI.
Recommended best practice is to place a UDI on each device in the packaging configuration and
place a UDI on the package that contains the devices.

Question:
What UDI-PI should be placed on UDI of this package (if each of those two devices have their seperate UDI-PI...)?

pziemlewicz

Involved In Discussions
DI as the unique identifier for that package configuration
PI as the date on which it was packed, which leads you back to the original manufacturing lot #s for each part.

med_cert

Involved In Discussions
Thanks, that was also my assumption... however, I don't see any benefit... each part already has tracks to the original manufacturing... I really don't see the reason why this PI should be important (I hope it has some deeper purpuse not only because it's written so... :) )

Top Bottom