UL (Underwriters Laboratories) vs. CE Marking (Conformit? Europ?ene)

UL (Underwriters Laboratories) vs. CE Marking (Conformité Européene)

A company I know of wants to bring in some equipment from Europe, which contains a CE mark on the electical panels. The local government says (with support from UL) that CE marks are not sufficient, and that the panels need to be field inspected by UL.

Can anyone explain the difference? Just what is a CE mark?

Thanks

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
Richard Olson said:
Basically the CE Mark indicates the product meets the basic requirements of the European health, safety, and environmental agencies. Compared to UL requirements, it is less strict. Here are a couple links that have some info about CE Marking. Good luck, it's kinda' confusing...
Ahh, thanks Buttercup Liver Hiney! :bigwave:

Al Rosen

Holed-up in a Hotel in South Florida
Staff member
Super Moderator
db said:
A company I know of wants to bring in some equipment from Europe, which contains a CE mark on the electical panels. The local government says (with support from UL) that CE marks are not sufficient, and that the panels need to be field inspected by UL.

Can anyone explain the difference? Just what is a CE mark?

Thanks
The CE mark is the EU's answer to UL in the US. Depending on the type of equipment you have to comply with certain EU directives. There is the Low Voltage Directive, Machinery Directive, EMC Directive and Medical device Directive. For other than the Medical Device Directive(MDD), you can self certify to the standards by testing and keeping a "Technical Construction File". For the MDD you are required to have a Notified Body in the EU that audits your QMS and Technical Construction File. I am most familiar with Medical device requirements. From your post, I'm assuming it isn't a medical device.

The UL standards for many CE marked products are harmonized with the IEC standards in the EU. If the product is CE marked, It probably will meet the UL requirements. CE is not recognized by US local agencies. They will want a UL label.

Last edited:
Al Rosen said:
CE is not recognized by US local agencies. They will want a UL label.
I think that is the case. I would imagine that the opposite is also true. That a European agency will probably not accept a UL label either.

Al Rosen

Staff member
Super Moderator
db said:
I think that is the case. I would imagine that the opposite is also true. That a European agency will probably not accept a UL label either.
That is correct. Also, sometimes there are different ratings for UL and CE the same device or component.

The key here is "self certify". CE marks can be placed on products after you determine that you meet the requirements. UL tests products independently and then continues to audit your manufacture to assure that you are making them to the standard that they originally tested. Changes to the product must be submitted to UL for approval (like a QS PPAP). We can debate the structure (UL isn't perfect) but I am much more comfortable leaving a UL approved lamp on all night than I am with a product that has just a CE mark.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
The CE-Mark is enforced through the European Directives for REGULATED products, and carry the power of Law in Europe. People have been sent to jail for falsifying data, as it relates to product compliance to the Directives.

To the best of my knowledge, the UL Mark (for product safety), even though very prevalent in North America, is a voluntary certification. Most manufacturers like to have their product UL (and CSA) approved in order to minimize liability exposure.

It is not correct to say broadly that manufacturers can self-certify their products and apply the CE-Mark.

Depending on the Directive (MDD, ATEX, PED, In-Vitro MDD, etc...) your product has to comply with, and depending on the route (modules) one choses to demonstrate compliance, you MUST engage with a Notified Body prior to applying the CE-Mark to your product

:agree: Sidney, I agree for the industries you've cited. :truce:
However, jail notwithstanding, there are a whole lot of 120/220VAC consumer and commercial products out there with a CE mark that are self-certified. Good luck getting one on the shelf at Wal-Mart or H.H. Grainger without a UL label. Europe=can't sell without CE mark due to law=can self certify. USA, can't sell without UL mark due to lack of interest due to liability=must certify through UL. U-pick.

Al Rosen

Staff member
Super Moderator
:thedeal:
The bottom line is the Europeans figgured out how to limit US exports without imposing direct tariffs.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M UL (Underwriters Laboratories) Publishes IEC 60601 3rd edition FAQs IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
M Decontamination Label on Unit Packages per UL (Underwriters Laboratories) Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
S What is UL (Underwriters Laboratories) Certification Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 7
T Concept of UL (Underwriters Laboratories) Numbering System - What?s in a UL Number Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 5
L Strange letter from Underwriters Laboratories (UL) Promising Change Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 10
A Information about Medical Device Test Laboratories Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 4
G ISO 17025:2017 Uninterrupted chain of traceability for test laboratories ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
C External Laboratories and OEM Calibration IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
F Measurement Audit and ILC for ISO 17025 Clause 7.7.2 - Comparison with results of other laboratories ISO 17025 related Discussions 0
S ISO 5356-1 - 22 mm ring gauges and test laboratories for an Anesthetic connector Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
E Rich O2 Environment Testing Laboratories (Clause 11.2.2 ME EQUIPMENT and ME SYSTEMS) IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
M ROHS & REACH in TEFLON Material - NABL Testing Laboratories REACH and RoHS Conversations 1
W IEC 60601-1-2 Testing Laboratories in the Middle East IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
S FDA Establishment Registration for Testing Laboratories 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
T Testing Laboratories in Europe to IEC/EN 60601-2-47 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 6
L What are Accredited laboratories? (Medical Device Class IIb Related) EU Medical Device Regulations 1
A How many laboratories are accredited to ISO 17025 in the USA? ISO 17025 related Discussions 5
E Validation of Method(s) in Testing Laboratories General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
G ISO17025 requirement in TS16949 for External Calibration Laboratories ISO 17025 related Discussions 4
J European Laboratories which can do IEC/EN 60601-2-50 Testing? (Close to Turkey) IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
N Device with Safety & EMC Test Certificates from different Laboratories ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 22
S Does NIST Certify Calibration Laboratories? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
JodiB ISO 17025 and Testing Laboratories Mentor / Advisor Needed ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
Q ISO TS 16949 Clause 7.6.3.2 - Requirements for External Laboratories IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
N CMM Layout Data Dispute between two CMM Laboratories General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
M Requirements for Laboratories performing ASTM Tests Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 4
Douglas E. Purdy What are the current Calibration Standards for Calibration Laboratories General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 15
1 Pharma Industry stance on ISO 17025 Accreditation - In-House Calibration Laboratories ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
Y Laboratories which can do IEEE Std 844 Tests and provide a CoC Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 2
P Number of Laboratories required to participate in ILCP General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
S Distributor for Products used in Medical Laboratories - Is ISO 13485 Required? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
AnaMariaVR2 Abbott Laboratories Consent Decree based on continued GMP / QS violations US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 7
C Are ISO 17025 accredited laboratories ISO 9001 compliant? ISO 17025 related Discussions 5
J Small Laboratories & ISO 17025 Clause 4.1.4 - Small company 4 employees ISO 17025 related Discussions 13
thisby_ EMC/FCC part 15 test (NRTL - Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratories) required? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
A Compliance with ISO/ IEC 17025:2005 Clause 5.9 for Calibration Laboratories ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
A Traveling Standards among laboratories under regional / inter-national program General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
R AC7101/11 Nadcap Audit Criteria for Materials Test Laboratories ? Fastener Testing Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 1
Q Internal Laboratories in TS 16949 companies - Certified vs. ISO 17025? ISO 17025 related Discussions 5
K Internal laboratory - applies only to Calibration or also to other laboratories? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
D Difference between Calibration, Testing and Inspection Laboratories? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
apestate How do you find nearby ISO 17025 registered calibration laboratories? ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
D Do Supplier's Laboratories Need to be Accredited to ISO/IEC 17025 ISO 17025 related Discussions 15
R Calibration Companies - IASonline.org under Testing Laboratories General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 12
B What Laboratories are the 'National Equivalent' of Accredited to ISO/IEC 17025? ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
Jerry Eldred Your thoughts on Calibration Laboratories - 2007 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
C Asking an Auditor's Advice on different systems at different laboratories General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
T Laboratories Claiming ISO 17025 Compliance - Sick of it..... ISO 17025 related Discussions 19
A Inter laboratory correlation - Two laboratories with different methods? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
S List of Approved Test Laboratories by FDA US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 5