UN/Dot 38.3 Questions - Shipping Lithium Batteries

M

MarkJohnson

Hi, I am looking into making battery packs out of lithium iron batteries, and have a couple of questions about shipping them. Do I need the UN/DOT 38.3 certification if I were to just ship via ground as a class 9 hazardous good? I read a paper that said:

"Also, unless a company intends to be extremely restricted in its options for transporting their lithium batteries (ground transport as Class 9 Hazardous Goods), they will need to certify that their batteries have passed UN/DOT 38.3."

Is that correct?

I've also read that it is a "self-certify standard". Does this mean that if I were to perform the tests myself, I would have to send the results somewhere to register for the certificate?

Can anyone help me out or point me in the right direction?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
I am no expert here, but did read the standard and it appears you can self certify and do the testing yourself. The testing seems pretty technical and requires quite a few batteries as well, depending on which of the tests are done. Even if you were able to perform and document all the testing, I doubt you could send the results off to a lab for a third party certification though, at least not without paying a substantial fee that would include completely retesting all of your batteries. I see most of the big labs are advertising that they perform these tests, so if you need certification, you are better off having them do it.

M

MarkJohnson

Thanks for the response. Yeah, the testing seems very technical so I would probably use a lab to do it for me. I'm just unsure if I need to get the testing done if I'm only shipping via ground as a class 9 hazardous good. I thought the UN/DOT 38.3 test was just for aircraft, but I'm not sure.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Green dot required on packaging? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
M Master Dot for quality planning/improvement Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
S Cosmetic Inspection (scratch, black dot, burr) Standard in Manufacturing Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
A SPC for Labels - Detect dot, misaligned, color differences, etc Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
Douglas E. Purdy Laboratory Accreditation Requirements for US DOT Stackability CFR Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 0
G Microsoft Office 365 Business plan questions Business Continuity & Resiliency Planning (BCRP) 10
N Simple statistics questions on labor data Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
J IATF CB Auditor questions Internal Auditor Competence IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 19
lanley liao Questions regarding the change of critical suppliers and key personnel Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 5
H Existing cloud based medical device - questions regarding improving the processes IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 6
W How do you phrase your internal audit questions? Internal Auditing 3
C UDI Questions on Control Units Other US Medical Device Regulations 6
M NFPA 70 electrical harness questions Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 2
L Project Managers - Questions For You Career and Occupation Discussions 0
B Toyota PPAP Process - Three Questions APQP and PPAP 5
A Internal Audit Questions ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
K Two FDA questions regarding UDI (and potentially 803.52 MDR) Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
D Signature Matrix questions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
D ECO (Engineering Change Order) process questions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
C 8.5.1.1 Control of Equipment, Tools, and Software Programs - Questions about the extent of control of NC programs AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
D Rules for Paper Forms outside of an eQMS - 3 Questions (ISO 13485) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
D Shipping and recall questions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
D Questions regarding process validation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 15
M Quality Metrics Questions Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 2
K FDA Premarket Cybersecurity Guidance - 4 questions Other US Medical Device Regulations 5
A Some questions about voluntary consensus standards in traditional 510(k) submission US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 6
T AMS2570E certification equipment questions AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
Mr Roo ISO 9001 - 7.1.3 Infrastructure - questions concerning evidence ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 26
K AS9100 - 7.3 - Are these black and white questions with specific correct answers AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
M Medical Device Identification & Codes - Article 27 Requirements questions EU Medical Device Regulations 1
Q Asset / Tooling Management - Two Questions Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
Q VDA 6.3 questions vs IATF 16949 clauses VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 0
I Questions to ask when auditing for Organizational Leadership and Planning for the QMS? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
A ISO13485:2016 name and ownership changes questions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
C CQA Test Questions Bank General Auditing Discussions 1
E Three basic questions about ISO 9001:2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
M Informational EU – EMA revised guidance – Questions & Answers on Implementation of the Medical Devices and In Vitro Diagnostic Medical Devices Regulations ((EU) 201 Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
M Informational EU – MDCG 2019-6 v2 Questions and answers: Requirements relating to notified bodies Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
Ed Panek Relevant questions on Substantial Change Form CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
K Beginner in ISO 45001 here! Three questions Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 6
D Framing FDA Questions - Validation US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
M Informational US FDA – Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) About the Accreditation Scheme for Conformity Assessment (ASCA) Pilot Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
F Barcoding questions - Is there a plain English primer for newbies? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
D Questions about the contents of a Design History File 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
S ISO 14971 Risk Management - Questions for Hazard identification ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 2
M Informational EU – MDCG 2019-6 Questions and answers: Requirements relating to notified bodies Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
C MDR Importer/Distributor Definition Questions EU Medical Device Regulations 29
A Purchasing - Internal Audit Questions Internal Auditing 8
M Informational USFDA – Efforts to evaluate materials in medical devices to address potential safety questions Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational USFDA draft guidance – A Risk-Based Approach to Monitoring of Clinical Investigations Questions and Answers Guidance for Industry Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0