Unable to Demonstrate FIFO Methodology

cantucb

Starting to get Involved
Hi!
Need some help, I am working in an automotive molding injection tier 3 facility where soon we are going to have a recertification in ISO9001:2008. At this moment, we cannot demonstrate compliance to FIFO methodology (First In-First Out). How could this affect to standard? Could be a permissible exclusion?

I appreciate your insigths on this matter.
Thanks

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
Need some help, I am working in an automotive molding injection tier 3 facility where soon we are going to have a recertification in ISO9001:2008. At this moment, we cannot demonstrate compliance to FIFO methodology (First In-First Out).
Firstly it should be noted that to have a re-certification audit against the 2008 edition of ISO 9001 so close to the mandatory transition date seems odd.

As for FIFO, there is no explicit requirement for that in the standard. From a business perspective, attempting to minimize the risk of having expired material being processed and/or shipped, it does make sense for a FIFO system when dealing with perishable items.

T

Tyler C

Firstly it should be noted that to have a re-certification audit against the 2008 edition of ISO 9001 so close to the mandatory transition date seems odd.
Sidney, we too have our re-cert audit coming up next month. We are also recertifying to the 2008 edition. Our registrar gave us the choice of making it a transition audit or re-cert audit, and we chose to re-cert to 2008 because we are not quite ready for the transition, but we are fully aware that we will not have a full year before the transition audit has to happen. We chose this to buy ourselves a little more time.

T

Tyler C

Hi!
Need some help, I am working in an automotive molding injection tier 3 facility where soon we are going to have a recertification in ISO9001:2008. At this moment, we cannot demonstrate compliance to FIFO methodology (First In-First Out). How could this affect to standard? Could be a permissible exclusion?

I appreciate your insigths on this matter.
Thanks
The only issue I can see with this is if your procedures specifically state that you utilize the FIFO method. Otherwise, if you can prove that you are not using expired materials, this shouldn't be an issue. Sidney is correct in saying that FIFO is not a standard requirement.

cantucb

Starting to get Involved

As for FIFO, there is no explicit requirement for that in the standard. From a business perspective, attempting to minimize the risk of having expired material being processed and/or shipped, it does make sense for a FIFO system when dealing with perishable items.
Hi!
We chose also to re-certificate to 2008 because we are not quite ready for the transition to ISO9001:2015. Next year we are planning to look foward to 2015. What about if FIFO is a CSR from our tier 2 and 1 customer (Customer Specific Requirement)?

Thank you from your suport!

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
I guess the question is prove you don't. Are you sure you don't do FIFO? In a molding operation, it would seem very difficult not to. I mean, your material comes it. Certainly it doesn't sit around forever before it is used. And it's hard to believe you would order more material when you had some in stock. Then, you run it and turn it into parts. Certainly those parts don't sit around forever. You ship them before you make more, no?

cantucb

Starting to get Involved
I guess the question is prove you don't. Are you sure you don't do FIFO? In a molding operation, it would seem very difficult not to. I mean, your material comes it. Certainly it doesn't sit around forever before it is used. And it's hard to believe you would order more material when you had some in stock. Then, you run it and turn it into parts. Certainly those parts don't sit around forever. You ship them before you make more, no?
That is a good point Mr. Golfman25 but what about when you do not have enough space for materials (warehouse) and you do not have investment to get more space in your facilities?

That gives you little space to manage materials according to FIFO right?

Thanks!

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
That is a good point Mr. Golfman25 but what about when you do not have enough space for materials (warehouse) and you do not have investment to get more space in your facilities?

That gives you little space to manage materials according to FIFO right?

Thanks!
That actually requires fifo. You need to get rid of the stuff you have (first in) before you can get/make more stuff.

What happens when you have space is material stacks up and people take what is most convienent, the stuff in the front (last in) of the stuff in the back (first in).

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A CE Certificate Expiring and NB unable to extend / renew as not in their scope as a NB EU Medical Device Regulations 34
N Calibration Lab unable to issue Accredited Certificate when error is too high? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
I Unable to obtain CSRs from Customer IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 30
J Supplier Management - Unable to visit the suppliers Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 9
Coury Ferguson I heard it through the Grapevine - Changes to AS9104 - Unable to change auditor(s) Registrars and Notified Bodies 24
RoxaneB Manual Rejected - Unable to find "shall" to support rejection - Responsibility Matrix Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 50
S Question about 7.3.6 - Validation - We are unable to elicit the intended application ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
R Demonstrate how sufficient levels of access to data is achieved - Claims of equivalence EU Medical Device Regulations 3
S Ways to demonstrate objective evidence that employee is trained and competent ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 28
S How can we demonstrate to MDSAP auditors that we have the requisite training ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
S What are some ways to demonstrate Effectiveness of Training? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 29
A Action to demonstrate compliance with on clauses 4.1, 4.2 and 6.1 of ISO 9001:2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
R How to demonstrate REACH Compliance RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 3
N How do I demonstrate REACH compliance ? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 1
B How to Demonstrate Stability and Repeatability in very Short Run Process AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
S What needs to be done to demonstrate RoHS compliance for Medical Devices? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 6
J How to demonstrate equipment manufacturer meets 7.6.3.1? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
S QMS to demonstrate Compliance to Canada, Europe and Japan Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 7
C Statistical Analysis to Demonstrate Substantial Equivalence to the FDA Other US Medical Device Regulations 5
Q ISO 9001 Clause 8.3 Rework Verification - Re-verification to demonstrate conformity ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
J Continuous Improvement SOP - How to demonstrate we meet TS 16949 Clause 8.5.1 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 12
H Measure and Demonstrate Product Sustainability Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 0
P Resource Management - How to demonstrate Provision of Resources? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
L Contacting Suppliers to demonstrate Environmental Commitment ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 3
L How to demonstrate one's ability in an interview Career and Occupation Discussions 8
V ISO 9001:2008 - How does an organization demonstrate "sustain success"? General Auditing Discussions 14
Q How to Demonstrate Manufacturing Process Design Conformity - Capability IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
I In OHSAS 18001:2007 How to demonstrate 4.4.3.2 Participation and Consultation ? Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 3
Ajit Basrur How to demonstrate Safeguarding of "Intellectual Property" in an Organization? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 7
J Demonstrate Receiving Inspection Sampling Method is Statistically Adequate Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
K How can I demonstrate meeting 5.6.2.1 and 6.3.1 of ISO/TS16949 requirements? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
P How to demonstrate cycle time minimization of rejected product/test analysis 8.5.2.4 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
M Gap analysis to demonstrate that we comply to CAN3-Z299.3-85 Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 19
B How to demonstrate management commitment? Audit Failure Mode ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
L Internal Auditor Objectivity - How to demonstrate Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 10
R ISO 14001 Clause 4.4.4c - Interaction of Main Elements: How to Demonstrate? ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 4
J Demonstrate 12 months performance data for TS 16949 Certification - Required? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
Raffy How can I demonstrate evidence and effectiveness of Corrective Action Training Nonconformance and Corrective Action 7
T Operational setup of how FIFO / Process Map on Lithium Batteries is done Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
T How to ensure Inventory FIFO (First In First Out) by Suppliers Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 1
L Good place for free printable Quality posters? eg: FIFO, 5s, Safety posters Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 17
P FIFO Inventory Managment System - TS 16949 clause 7.5.5.1 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
Q Inventory and FIFO in our goods receiving area Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 3
J 7.5.3 Identification and traceability including FIFO and Inventory IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
Q Product Shelf Life, FIFO and Traceability IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
Marc Effective FIFO (First In - First Out) - Materials Management Manufacturing and Related Processes 29
R 7.5.5.1 Storage and Inventory - We don't use FIFO for everything - How can we comply? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5