SBS - The best value in QMS software

Unannounced Audits - Commision Recommendation 2013/473/EU Published 25.9.2013

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

TWA - not the airline

Trusted Information Resource
Thanks, Steve! Will be interesting to see how this will look in real life. I knew that unannounced audits will come, but I did not realize that this might also hit subcontractors/suppliers (though of course it makes perfect sense, come to think about it...). We might have some suppliers that will kick auditors out the door once they state the purpose of their visit and then cancel the contract with us:D

M

MIREGMGR

I'm curious as to three things:

1. Frequency. I'd think there would be a risk process involved in setting this. Will we be asked to participate in the risk evaluation?

2. Payment of costs/charges. I don't think our current MDD-NB contract provides for audit days beyond those of the "normal" process. I doubt very much if our NBs (we are about to have two; one for MDD, the other for MD and PPED) are going to want to work for free.

3. Harmonization with US FDA's VARS Program rules.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
There seems to be a bit of an element of putting fear into Medical Device manufacturers, or am I being paranoid?
Steve, thank you very much for the update.

It seems to me that the European Commission is cracking down on the conformity assessment practices because, as we all know, there is significant variation in the conformity assessment practices performed by Notified Bodies and Conformity Assessment Bodies.

Regulatory agencies are under continual societal and governmental scrutiny to manage the risks of their respective supply chains, so, they will continually increase the strictness of the conformity assessment protocols in order to minimize the chances of nonconforming products and systems being allowed into the marketplace.

Unfortunately, there are interested parties in the conformity assessment sector who don't take their responsibilities serious enough and allow substandard products and systems to attain and maintain the certificates that they need to trade. Even more unfortunate is the fact that a percentage of the manufacturers deliberately seek and retain incompetent auditors, conformity assessment and notified bodies because they represent an easier and cheaper path to the approvals they need.

I would think that the responsible medical device manufacturers should not worry too much. They might see more strict audits and an oversight process a little more expensive. Conversely, the people who like to shortcut the processes should worry.

M

MIREGMGR

There seems to be a bit of an element of putting fear into Medical Device manufacturers
I don't see "fear". It seems like a straightforward analysis to me. I'd quibble as to whether parts of it are analyzed correctly, but that's a separate matter.

It also doesn't address practicality, which I see as significant.

If the unannounced audit team shows up on a day when all three of our conference rooms are tied up...a common state..., or we have a customer audit (or hypothetically, FDA inspection) underway, and/or more than one critical audit response person is sick/on vacation/otherwise not available, the audit will be inefficient at best.

Of course, such excuses would be offered by a company that wished to duck the unannounced audit, so they cannot be accepted at face value. There will need to be procedures for how to deal with such practicalities, though, because inevitably they will arise.

S

SteveK

When I indicated ?fear?, it was not related to the published Regulation and Recommendations (I agree the need for ?best practices?), it was just to do with extra emphasis this particular NB is making (i.e. you?ll be fine with us as your NB) e.g.:

???increase certification costs over a three-year period by between 20% and 50%.?

???all MEDDEV and NB MED guidance is strictly followed.?

??..justifications for all statements?

?Manufacturers urgently need written procedures for managing unannounced audits?

Steve

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B MHRA Unannounced Audits Frequency Changed? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
L Unannounced Audits EU Medical Device Regulations 6
Q Question on Unannounced Registrar Audits - Plant manager suggested no advance notice General Auditing Discussions 16
Marc Unannounced Random Audits General Auditing Discussions 1
ScottK How's the unannounced inspection by notified bodies going? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
M Incomplete Unannounced Audit - No Active Production at the time ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
S EN ISO 13485:2016 vs. ISO 13485:2016 - Unannounced MDD Audit yesterday ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
P EU Commission requires NB (Notified Body) Unannounced Visits EU Medical Device Regulations 48
lanley liao How to understand this words that the planning of internal audit shall take into consideration the results of previous audits? Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 10
J External third party audits Registrars and Notified Bodies 1
B How many nonconformances have you received on average during IATF audits? General Auditing Discussions 24
M ISO13485:2016, MDSAP and Internal Audits ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
G 0 non conformities in registrar audits over 4 years Management Review Meetings and related Processes 12
S Would this be a second site for the purposes of internal and third party audits? General Auditing Discussions 4
R Remote Audits for ISO 9001 (or any other standard) General Auditing Discussions 31
J ISMS - Internal Audits Internal Auditing 3
A TUV Audits - 21 CFR 820 General Auditing Discussions 6
L Documented Information in Internal Audits Process (9.2) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
D CB and customer audits considered as internal audits? General Auditing Discussions 9
R IATF 16949 - Outsourcing of internal audits Internal Auditing 11
M Major vs. Minor for Internal Audits? Internal Auditing 10
J ISO 13485 System 'soft start' - How to best reflect this in initial audits, management review minutes and other records? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
D Layered Process Audits - FCA 9.2.2 - Exemption Clause? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
S Obligation to accept customer audits? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 23
M Supplier Audits - Stop Wasting Everyone's Time! General Auditing Discussions 15
C Internal Audits in a tiny Dx Company Internal Auditing 33
H ISO 13485 - Separate Microbiology Audits ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
A Question on ISO 14001:2015 - Are annual audits required? ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 11
H Remote product audits in Coivd-19 - IATF 16949 9.2.2.4 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
N Sampling Plan for Internal Audits - ISO 2859 or 3951 - Or Neither? Internal Auditing 6
O ISO13485 implementation - Are internal audits expected before stage 1 audit? Design and Development of Products and Processes 3
Ed Panek Corona Virus impact on Supplier Audits and Received Parts ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
JoCam Increase to bi-annual ISO 13485 audits ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
P Supplier Audits in the wake of COVID-19 ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 3
O Informational Scaling back internal audits due to corona virus while avoiding a NC Internal Auditing 7
R Is it required to have an SOP for external audits? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 7
G Internal Audits and Employee engagement Internal Auditing 16
D Root Cause for Missed Audits Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
M Notified Body audits -Class Ia medical device product EU Medical Device Regulations 4
S Internal audit discrepancy - We missed a few audits that were scheduled Internal Auditing 12
C Design and implementation of process audits as defined within IATF 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
F ISO 17025 8.8 Internal Audits in a segmented company ISO 17025 related Discussions 5
J Requirements for Layered Process Audits including Maintenance, Shipping, Receiving IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
qualprod Internal Audits - Categories of non conformances Internal Auditing 12
G Non Conformance During ISO 9001 Audit - Not All Internal Audits Completed General Auditing Discussions 19
K A way to monitor our Internal Audits as a KPI AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
blackholequasar Internal Auditing Inspiration - Getting volunteers to perform internal audits. Internal Auditing 22
Sidney Vianna Interesting Discussion ISO 9001 audits from the perspective of registrants' customers - an interesting paper Registrars and Notified Bodies 0
M Honda Audits - Does anyone have any experience with the QAV audit? General Auditing Discussions 3
A External Auditor issue with Internal Audits Internal Auditing 7