Understanding accreditation, MoUs, certifications

Mark Meer

Trusted Information Resource
Hi all.

I'm in dire need of some guidance as to understanding accreditation, memorandums of understanding, certifications and test-report recognition.
(please correct me if I'm erroneously mixing-up/misusing any of these terms :eek:)

There are so many agencies, I'm quickly getting confused.

For example:

• The IECEE has a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the IAF (International Accreditation Forum)
  • The IAF has the CNAS (China National Accreditation Service) as a member and signatory.
  • The CNAS then accredits a test-lab to ISO/IEC 17025 with a scope of a particular IEC testing standard.
  • That accredited test lab then certifies a device to the testing standard, and issues a test-report.

The clarifications needed are:
  1. Do I have the associations between these organizations correct?
  2. What are the roles of the "middle men" in this chain (i.e. the IAF and CNAS), when the IECEE has it's own list of member testing labs?
  3. Given this chain association, does this mean that the test-report issued by the accredited test lab would be recognized by members of the IECEE?

Many thanks in advance to anyone who can shed light...

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marcelo

Inactive Registered Visitor
It?s difficult.

Your comments have some problems, mainly because the IAF is usually related to system accreditation, not lab testing (the ILAC is related to lab testing). You also don?t need the IECEE in this (the IECEE is another "scheme", as is the IAF).

Usually it works like this:

- The ILAC has the CNAS (China National Accreditation Service) as a member and signatory.
- The CNAS then accredits a test-lab to ISO/IEC 17025 with a scope of a particular IEC testing standard.
- That accredited test lab then tests a device to the testing standard, and issues a test-report.

If there?s a related certification:

- The IAF has the CNAS (China National Accreditation Service) as a member and signatory.
- The CNAS then accredits a certification body to ISO/IEC 17021 with a scope of a particular IEC testing standard.
- That accredited certification body then certifies a device based on the testing report from the test lab as above, and issues a certificate of compliance.

The IECEE scheme do more or less both together, and there are schemes that do both together also.

Also, I?m not 100% sure that China works like this, because they have their certification process intertwined with the regulatory process (which sucks).

Last edited:

Mark Meer

Thanks Marcelo. It's difficult indeed. :yes:

Thanks for clarifying the difference between the IAF and ILAC. They seem to be often mentioned together in the same sentence, and their memberships appear quite similar.

You also don?t need the IECEE in this (the IECEE is another "scheme", as is the IAF).
So what is the purpose of a Memorandum of Understanding, if not to align the schemes for some basis of mutual recognition?

And on that note, why is the IECEE CB Scheme touted as such an effective key to global recognition of certification, when it appears there are other bodies (e.g. IAF) that also have international schemes?

Also, I?m not 100% sure that China works like this, because they have their certification process intertwined with the regulatory process (which sucks).
Wouldn't the CNAS, as a member/signatory to the IAF and ILAC, be required to work according to this system? The purpose, after all, is to align testing, accreditation and certification practices, no?

Also, you may easily substitute ANSI, IAS, A2LA for CNAS. I'm just trying to get my head around who does what and what the purpose/responsibilities of all these agencies is...

That accredited certification body then certifies a device based on the testing report from the test lab as above, and issues a certificate of compliance
Forgive me, but I might have to clarify: what is the difference between a test-report and test-report+certification? Is it surveillance? With certification, do the test-labs take on added responsibility?

Marcelo

So what is the purpose of a Memorandum of Understanding, if not to align the schemes for some basis of mutual recognition?
Yes it is, but I just said that the IECEE having a memorandum with the IAF (it?s in fact with the IAF and ILAC) is another layer in the process.

And on that note, why is the IECEE CB Scheme touted as such an effective key to global recognition of certification, when it appears there are other bodies (e.g. IAF) that also have international schemes?
Because they want to market it that way? :p The IECEE scheme is really focused on electrical equipment, and in fact more to the business side. And yes, there?s other schemes.

Wouldn't the CNAS, as a member/signatory to the IAF and ILAC, be required to work according to this system? The purpose, after all, is to align testing, accreditation and certification practices, no?
Yes, they would, but please note, certification was created as a business solution, not a regulatory one. China (and Brazil, for example) have certification processes tied to regulations, and this might change the way the process is conducted (for example, the INMETRO certification process for medical equipment follows ILAC-IAF rules, but it has some changes because the regulator is ANVISA and the certification is made for them).

Forgive me, but I might have to clarify: what is the difference between a test-report and test-report+certification? Is it surveillance? With certification, do the test-labs take on added responsibility?
Certification follows models/schemes as defined, for example, in ISO/IEC 17067:2013.

For example, the Type 5 product certification scheme historically includes type testing of product design, evaluation of manufacturer?s quality system and market surveillance, including periodic auditing.

Test reports from test houses are usually only used as part of the type testing as required by the certification scheme. They by themselves only mean that the tested product complies with the standard.

As I mentioned, certification bodies produces certificates, not test labs.

Last edited:

Mark Meer

Marcelo: once again thanks. You're really helping to clear up this murky business.

...and this might change the way the process is conducted (for example, the INMETRO certification process for medical equipment follows ILAC-IAF rules, but it has some changes because the regulator is ANVISA and the certification is made for them).
But presumably the changes are minor, and would not affect mutual recognition from other ILAC/IAF members?

Certification follows models/schemes as defined, for example, in ISO/IEC 17067:2013.
So, technically, correct use of the term "certified" would have to indicate the scheme?
(e.g. "certified to [standard] according to [scheme]"). If there is no scheme there is no certification?

What about NRTL certification? Is that an entirely separate scheme?

Marcelo

Quote:
...and this might change the way the process is conducted (for example, the INMETRO certification process for medical equipment follows ILAC-IAF rules, but it has some changes because the regulator is ANVISA and the certification is made for them).
But presumably the changes are minor, and would not affect mutual recognition from other ILAC/IAF members?
Yes, in principle they would not.

Quote:
So, technically, correct use of the term "certified" would have to indicate the scheme?
(e.g. "certified to [standard] according to [scheme]"). If there is no scheme there is no certification?
Certification is generally defined as the provision by an independent body of written assurance (a certificate) that the product, service or system in question meets specific requirements. So it could mean anything.

For example, to a product standard, I could give a certificate saying that the product under test is in accordance with the standard. But this would only mean that that product was in accordance.

If you want to show that a product is continuously (or continually, I never know which word to use in english) is in accordance (for example every product manufactured by a manufacturer), you would need to verify other things. That?s what the IAF certification schemes do, for example.

Although in my opinion the correct way would be to say "certified to [standard] according to [scheme]", the "scheme" is not usually used in the description directly. It?s generally used indirectly because the certification itself is based on a scheme. It might not even call a particular standard, in fact.

For example, in the case of Brazil, the certification processes by INMETRO have their own rules (a document called "Conformity assessment rules") that defines the process, including the certification model. On the case of medical equipment, the certification process document mentions that the certification scheme or model is a product certification ISO type 5. Also, there?s lot?s of standards used (mostly IEC 60601 series). So, when a manufacturer gets a certificate, the certificate says that it?s conformity assessment certificate, and mentions, between other things, the certification rule and the standards used (and they include the INMETRO logo and IAF logo, meaning they are granted following their rules).

Last edited:

Marcelo

Sorry, forgot about the NTRL question...

What about NRTL certification? Is that an entirely separate scheme?
Yes, in fact it?s a US certification scheme, and as the other ones, they follow their own rules.

https://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=DIRECTIVES&p_id=2004

CERTIFICATION -- The procedure by which written assurance is given that a supplier provides a product, process, or service which conforms to a standard or specification. Within the context of the NRTL Program, the NRTL provides such assurance showing that it has determined a product conforms to one or more specific consensus-based U.S. safety standard(s). The certification must be evidenced by the NRTL's certification mark on the product.

CERTIFICATION BODY -- Within the context of the NRTL Program, the part of the NRTL's organization that conducts the product certification, as opposed to testing laboratory, activities, i.e., listing and labeling and inspection of manufacturer's facilities.

CERTIFICATION MARK -- Protected mark, applied or issued under the rules of a certification, indicating that adequate confidence is provided that the relevant product, process, or service is in compliance with a specific standard or other normative document.

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
To summarize, there's a lot of money to be made in this business, and lots of guards are required to guard the guards, and some national pride is involved while everyone is preaching that international harmonization is beneficial to all, and so we end up where we are.

Marcelo

To summarize, there's a lot of money to be made in this business, and lots of guards are required to guard the guards, and some national pride is involved while everyone is preaching that international harmonization is beneficial to all, and so we end up where we are.
Agreed. On the other hand, we should not forget that certification was created in principle by the industry for the industry to make more money, and although we do have a certification industry today, it seems to still be good, otherwise it would not exist anymore.

As I mentioned above, it?s was created and it?s primary goal is business. Although today we have a lot of certification schemes related to regulatory control, they are in fact separate things, and that?s why in part people get confused about it.

Mark Meer

So true. Unfortunate...but true.

As I mentioned above, it?s was created and it?s primary goal is business. Although today we have a lot of certification schemes related to regulatory control, they are in fact separate things, and that?s why in part people get confused about it.
I'm still confused about it.

What do you mean by "it's primary goal is business"? By that do you mean these agencies' intent is:
- Serving manufacturers' business interests, by somehow facilitating testing and marketing?
OR
- Their own business interests, and it's all just creative new ways to make money, with questionable value?

The bottom-line concern for manufacturers is regulatory, so I don't see how these schemes, unless somehow tied to regulatory control, would have any reason to exist.

Why would a manufacturer need to seek out an accredited test-lab or certification body, unless the services they deliver are required for or facilitate regulatory needs?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Understanding DFMEA and PFMEA - Supplier Related IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 21
DuncanGibbons Understanding the applicability of Design of Experiments to the IQ OQ PQ qualification approach Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 0
B Measuring and monitoring equipment - Understanding which procedures to be compliant with ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
M Informational Health Canada has launched an e-Learning tool to aid in understanding the premarket regulatory requirements for medical devices in Canada Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
S Understanding UDI requirements - Class 2 medical device (hearing aids) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
M Informational Understanding Costs And Risks For HFE Usability Studies — Part 1: Testing In-House Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
P Understanding FDA draft "Management of Cybersecurity in Medical Devices" Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 3
J Properly understanding SPC - Newbie SPC questions Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 29
S Understanding control chart and measurement capability Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
P Minitab Data Analysis - Understanding if a Process is in Control or Not Using Minitab Software 2
R Understanding a few points on ISO 9001's Design and Development Planning ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
Z Understanding Cycle Time - Why the time of the other activities are left out Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 11
J Understanding ISO 9001:2015 - 10.3 Continual Improvement ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
J Understanding ISO9001:2015 - 8.3: Design and Development of Products and Services ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
E Root Cause Analysis - Is Insufficient Understanding an acceptable Root Cause? General Auditing Discussions 9
E Understanding of TS 16949 Clause 7.6.2 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
K Understanding IEC 60601-2-68 requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
A Training material for interpretation & understanding Part 11 requirements 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
N Understanding the absolute uncertainty specification for a Fluke 5500A Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 3
N Understanding, Challenging & Approving Supplier Control Plans FMEA and Control Plans 7
M Definition Recommendations - Understanding "recommendations" and "recommended corrective action" Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 8
S Understanding UDI (Unique Device Identification) Other US Medical Device Regulations 10
T Understanding USP <1112> Water Activity as applicable to Medical Devices Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 4
K Understanding Risk Management Requirements according to AS9100 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 11
S MIL-HDBK-217 - Understanding the various Environmental Conditions Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 1
D What is your understanding or interpretation of TS16949 7.4.1.2 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
C Understanding the relationship between 62304 and the MDD ER IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 7
S Understanding Subgroup Size - Multi Cavity (Minitab) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
R Understanding clause 15.4.2.1 d) of amendment 1:2012? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 7
L Mobile Medical App - Understanding 21 CFR Part 820 Requirements 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
D Understanding and implementing ISO 17025 ISO 17025 related Discussions 9
M Understanding Versions of Collateral and Particular Standards IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 7
S Understanding, Analysis and Monitoring Quality Defects on Composite Components Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
S Understanding PMS (Post Market Surveillance) and PMCF (Vigilance and PMCF) Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 1
B Understanding why my CpK and PpK are low, and LCL Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 20
S Understanding Quality Objectives, Metrics and KPI ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 15
Q Beginner's Understanding - The Purpose and Applications of QMS/ISO Standards Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 12
Q Understanding Configuration Management AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 16
W Understanding PPAP Appearance Approval APQP and PPAP 22
V Understanding Automotive Coating for Seating Mechanism Components Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
M Understanding of Regression and ANOVA in Minitab Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
4 Understanding ILAC policy P14:12/2010 6.3 part a) General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 28
H Understanding 8.2.3 M&M of Processes for our Internal Audit ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
P Understanding ISO 26262 Road Vehicle Functional Safety Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
arios Understanding adoption of a product to an existing Sterilization Cycle Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
M Learning ISO 13485 - Getting a better understanding of the requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
S Understanding FDA rules regarding MDDS Status and Clinical Trials 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
G Understanding Identification of Design in QSR 21 CRF Part 820.30 Design Control (f) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
Q Understanding the general Philosophy with Complaints and CAPAs ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
M Understanding DC Patient Leakage Failure from 0.3VDC IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3