Understanding AS9100 Clause 7.5.1.4 Post-Delivery Support Requirements

M

Mario Alberto83

7.5.1.4 Post-Delivery Support
Post-delivery support shall provide as applicable for the

a) collection and analysis of in-service data
b) actions to be taken, including investigation and reporting, when problems are detected after delivery
c) control and updating of technical documentation
d) approval, control and use of repair schemes, and
e) controls required for off-site work (e.g., organization´s work undertaken at the customer´s facilities)

Good afternoon Quality people, I have some questions regarding this clause, could you please take a glance?:

a) In what cases would I need to collect and analyze data? What does “in-service” mean?

b) I believe I can meet this part of the clause per my “non-conf. product” and “Improvement (CA)” procedures for failures found after delivery.

c) What kind of documentation does it refer?

d) I believe I also can meet this part per my procedure covering non-conf. product handle, disposition and rwk/repair as I do for my internal non-conformances but in this case when it is found after delivery.

e) What kind of controls does it refer to? It sounds like provision of work instructions, tooling, etc., which would be the same controls as I have for on-site work (current instructions, competent personnel, calibrated equipment/tooling, etc.).

Do you believe I am correct in my assumptions? Could you provide me some guidance?

Please help shed some light on this since I have never been this frustrated with any other clause in the standard (so far).

Note: If helpful, the company I work for manufactures and designs mechanical parts.

dsanabria

Quite Involved in Discussions
Re: 7.5.1.4 Post-Delivery Support

Good afternoon Quality people, I have some questions regarding this clause, could you please take a glance?:

a) In what cases would I need to collect and analyze data? What does “in-service” mean?

b) I believe I can meet this part of the clause per my “non-conf. product” and “Improvement (CA)” procedures for failures found after delivery.

c) What kind of documentation does it refer?

d) I believe I also can meet this part per my procedure covering non-conf. product handle, disposition and rwk/repair as I do for my internal non-conformances but in this case when it is found after delivery.

e) What kind of controls does it refer to? It sounds like provision of work instructions, tooling, etc., which would be the same controls as I have for on-site work (current instructions, competent personnel, calibrated equipment/tooling, etc.).

Do you believe I am correct in my assumptions? Could you provide me some guidance?

Please help shed some light on this since I have never been this frustrated with any other clause in the standard (so far).

Note: If helpful, the company I work for manufactures and designs mechanical parts.

Think of WARRANTY - and read 7.5.1.4 again

or...

if you sell an equipment and you need to go the field... - or if the customer purchase a guarantee that the product will work as purchased - then it is applicable.

NOTE: These are some of the quick examples of when 7.5.1.4 is applicable.

NOTE: most companies take an exclusion to this one.

If the customer issues a complaint (NCR, escape, etc...) then those are handled through 8.5.2, etc....

M

Mario Alberto83

if you sell an equipment and you need to go the field... - or if the customer purchase a guarantee that the product will work as purchased - then it is applicable.

Thanks for your help Dave

Your input sounds to me like Post delivey Support applies when the product production cycle is not completed when you ship the product, so you need to perform some activities in field in order to have it working and/or completed as customer needs (e.g installation, validation, etc.)

In the warranty scenario, I think Post Delivery Support depends on the terms the company handles in the warranties offered for the product.

In brief, the company will tell me if this clause applies based on the warranty terms and in the other scenario, the process planning for the product will tell me if post delivery activities will apply.

Am I getting away from the point? :crybaby:

dsanabria

Quite Involved in Discussions

Your input sounds to me like Post delivery Support applies when the product production cycle is not completed when you ship the product, so you need to perform some activities in field in order to have it working and/or completed as customer needs (e.g installation, validation, etc.)

On this one - you could be correct but think of like you provided an alternator to a company and it is mounted but it does not work - thus, you have to go out tot he field and find out why it did not work... etc.

In the warranty scenario, I think Post Delivery Support depends on the terms the company handles in the warranties offered for the product.
:

Yes - you are correct - this is done at contract review.

Your input sounds to me like Post delivey Support applies when the product
In brief, the company will tell me if this clause applies based on the warranty terms and in the other scenario, the process planning for the product will tell me if post delivery activities will apply.

Am I getting away from the point? :crybaby:

Actually - the contract review process should tell you if it is a warranty job;)

M

Mario Alberto83

Thank you so much Dave

I think it is clearer for me now and I guess I figured out how to proceed.

You´ve helped me move the rock from the road.

Thanks again.

Cari Spears

Super Moderator
Leader
Super Moderator

Your input sounds to me like Post delivey Support applies when the product production cycle is not completed when you ship the product, so you need to perform some activities in field in order to have it working and/or completed as customer needs (e.g installation, validation, etc.)
My company makes really big aerospace tooling. We often build a tool complete here, final inspect it and have the customer source inspect - then we break it down into shippable sub assemblies and send a build team to reassemble it on site. That's the only thing we do that is considered post delivery support - if we ship something and it's not correct, that's different and is handled through the nonconforming product / customer rejection process as dsanbria said.

Top Bottom