Understanding Quality Objectives, Metrics and KPI

SGquality

Quite Involved in Discussions
I am here again -

I know that Quality Objectives come from the Quality Policy but need help in understanding the terms Quality Objectives, Metrics and KPI.

Could someone give me an example clarifying the above terms ?

:thanks:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
Re: Pls help me understand Quality Objective, Metric and KPI

Its not a big deal at all.

Metrics is just another word for mesaurable. Like in school: someone gets A someone an F. So the idea is the same: you have to find way to measure process. For example: how many reworks this week ? Is it more than last week ? Is it more than targeted ? Or less ?

KPI is key performance indicator: like when you drive a car you know speed, rpm, temperature of motor, oil and petrol level.
It is the same for company: how many goods sold, how many scrap, how many customer complaints...
According to these KPI you can "drive" your company. Are we good, are we bad, what is the problem,...

SGquality

Its not a big deal at all.

Metrics is just another word for mesaurable. Like in school: someone gets A someone an F. So the idea is the same: you have to find way to measure process. For example: how many reworks this week ? Is it more than last week ? Is it more than targeted ? Or less ?

KPI is key performance indicator: like when you drive a car you know speed, rpm, temperature of motor, oil and petrol level.
It is the same for company: how many goods sold, how many scrap, how many customer complaints...
According to these KPI you can "drive" your company. Are we good, are we bad, what is the problem,...
Thanks for your practical explanation. If I have to align my objectives with metrics and KPI below, would this be right ?

Quality Objective - ensure 100 % compliance to Customer requirements

Metric - Critical Observation

KPI -

1. Perform Internal audits per scheduled
2. No critical observations in customer audits
3. No finding in ISO audits

Big Jim

Super Moderator

There are several parts of ISO 9001 that apply to objectives, metrics, and KPI.

Cutting to the chase, you missed 8.2.3 and 8.4.

8.2.3 says you need to monitor, and measure when applicable, your processes. This is a repeat from 4.1 where the process approach is introduced. The processes they are talking about are your business processes or core processes, and defined in your explanation of the interaction of processes (4.1 again, and 4.2.2 pointing out that this explanation needs to be part of your quality manual).

Every company is likely to have different names and different alignments, but some typical core processes are quoting, planning, purchasing, production, quality, shipping/receiving/inventory, and management.

You already know that the quality objectives need to be set at relevant levels and functions within the organization from 5.4 where quality objectives are introduced.

What are those relevant functions and levels? Your core processes. This is in keeping with 4.1 and 8.2.3.

So the last topic here is 8.4 which provides you with a big hint about what appropriate objectives can be. 8.4 says that you need to determine, collect, and analyze data that helps you determine the health of your quality management system and aid in determining how to improve it.

Now here is the most useful part. 8.4 lists four specific topics that need to be included in the analysis of data: 1) customer satisfaction 2) product quality 3) process performance (an excellent overall measure of which is on-time delivery) 4) supplier performance.

So do yourself a big favor and allow your quality objectives to serve multiple duty. Choose objectives that align with 8.4. Align them with your processes and they become KPI metrics to fulfill 8.2.3. So it could look something like this:

quoting - customer satisfaction
planning - on-time delivery
purchasing - supplier performance
production - product quality
quality - product quality
shipping/receiving/inventory - on-time delivery and/or supplier performance
management - customer satisfaction or perhaps all four topics

SGquality

Thanks Big Jim.

My question was to have better understanding of these terms - my organization has come up with lots of statements so I am trying to figure out how to categorize those properly into Objectives vs Metrics vs KPI.

Thanks for your practical explanation. If I have to align my objectives with metrics and KPI below, would this be right ?

KPI -

Thats fine, but my opinion is that these targets are too high :)

S

silentrunning

Re: Please help me understand Quality Objective, Metric and KPI

I agree. Admirable, but probably not attainable.

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member

KPI -

I agree that setting "zero"-type objectives (hypothetical example: "No customer complaints") is likely to be unrealistic, and is also less useful in translating the objectives into daily life practices. I prefer setting a realistic threshold and aiming to go below it. If you succeed, you can lower the threshold next year. You will look at your performance vs. objectives during management review.

In the medical devices industry, the relevant section would be ISO 13485:2003 s. 8. The terms "Metrics" and "KPI" do not appear in this standard. The relevant term is "Measurement" (in the context of processes and organization performance). Basically these are all different ways to say the same thing. Your policy would be usually very general and high-level. Your objectives would be more specific, but not necessarily quantifiable. Your measurements / metrics / KPI make sure that all this is usable and practical, i.e. they should be specific and measurable in practical terms.

Example:
Objective - High level of compliance with customer requirements
Measurement / Metric / KPI - number of noted findings in customer audit (this is just an example, you will probably need several metrics for the above objective)
Target - Average number of noted findings less than <X>

Cheers,
Ronen.

shallowmike

Involved - Posts

Hi Ronen,

May I just intrude on this thread as I have a related question re objectives. I recently audited our Asian division and couldn't find anywhere in the quality manual regarding objective statement. They said that they have KPI's in place and these are the objectives.
I disagreed saying they are metrics to achieve objectives.
My question is should there be present in the quality manual objective statements?

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member

Hi Ronen,

May I just intrude on this thread as I have a related question re objectives. I recently audited our Asian division and couldn't find anywhere in the quality manual regarding objective statement. They said that they have KPI's in place and these are the objectives.
I disagreed saying they are metrics to achieve objectives.
My question is should there be present in the quality manual objective statements?
Hi Mike,

Did you audit them to ISO 13485:2003?

4.2 Documentation requirements
4.2.1 General
The quality management system documentation shall include
a) documented statements of a quality policy and quality objectives,

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Understanding, Analysis and Monitoring Quality Defects on Composite Components Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
D Surface Roughness understanding Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
P Understanding DFMEA and PFMEA - Supplier Related IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 21
DuncanGibbons Understanding the applicability of Design of Experiments to the IQ OQ PQ qualification approach Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 0
B Measuring and monitoring equipment - Understanding which procedures to be compliant with ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
M Informational Health Canada has launched an e-Learning tool to aid in understanding the premarket regulatory requirements for medical devices in Canada Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
S Understanding UDI requirements - Class 2 medical device (hearing aids) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
M Informational Understanding Costs And Risks For HFE Usability Studies — Part 1: Testing In-House Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
P Understanding FDA draft "Management of Cybersecurity in Medical Devices" Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 3
J Properly understanding SPC - Newbie SPC questions Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 29
S Understanding control chart and measurement capability Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
P Minitab Data Analysis - Understanding if a Process is in Control or Not Using Minitab Software 2
R Understanding a few points on ISO 9001's Design and Development Planning ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
Z Understanding Cycle Time - Why the time of the other activities are left out Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 11
J Understanding ISO 9001:2015 - 10.3 Continual Improvement ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
J Understanding ISO9001:2015 - 8.3: Design and Development of Products and Services ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
E Root Cause Analysis - Is Insufficient Understanding an acceptable Root Cause? General Auditing Discussions 9
E Understanding of TS 16949 Clause 7.6.2 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
K Understanding IEC 60601-2-68 requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
A Training material for interpretation & understanding Part 11 requirements 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
N Understanding the absolute uncertainty specification for a Fluke 5500A Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 3
N Understanding, Challenging & Approving Supplier Control Plans FMEA and Control Plans 7
M Definition Recommendations - Understanding "recommendations" and "recommended corrective action" Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 8
S Understanding UDI (Unique Device Identification) Other US Medical Device Regulations 10
T Understanding USP <1112> Water Activity as applicable to Medical Devices Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 4
K Understanding Risk Management Requirements according to AS9100 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 11
S MIL-HDBK-217 - Understanding the various Environmental Conditions Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 1
D What is your understanding or interpretation of TS16949 7.4.1.2 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
C Understanding the relationship between 62304 and the MDD ER IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 7
S Understanding Subgroup Size - Multi Cavity (Minitab) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
R Understanding clause 15.4.2.1 d) of amendment 1:2012? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 7
M Understanding accreditation, MoUs, certifications Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 28
L Mobile Medical App - Understanding 21 CFR Part 820 Requirements 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
D Understanding and implementing ISO 17025 ISO 17025 related Discussions 9
M Understanding Versions of Collateral and Particular Standards IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 7
S Understanding PMS (Post Market Surveillance) and PMCF (Vigilance and PMCF) Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 1
B Understanding why my CpK and PpK are low, and LCL Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 20
Q Beginner's Understanding - The Purpose and Applications of QMS/ISO Standards Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 12
Q Understanding Configuration Management AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 16
W Understanding PPAP Appearance Approval APQP and PPAP 22
V Understanding Automotive Coating for Seating Mechanism Components Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
M Understanding of Regression and ANOVA in Minitab Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
4 Understanding ILAC policy P14:12/2010 6.3 part a) General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 28
H Understanding 8.2.3 M&M of Processes for our Internal Audit ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
P Understanding ISO 26262 Road Vehicle Functional Safety Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
arios Understanding adoption of a product to an existing Sterilization Cycle Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
M Learning ISO 13485 - Getting a better understanding of the requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
S Understanding FDA rules regarding MDDS Status and Clinical Trials 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
G Understanding Identification of Design in QSR 21 CRF Part 820.30 Design Control (f) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
Q Understanding the general Philosophy with Complaints and CAPAs ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7