Understanding UDI (Unique Device Identification)

S

sonic85

Hi Everyone,

This Thread is very informative. I think i came here little late.

I have been reading about the UDI rule and requirements. But I am little confused.

Why do we need a UDI now, can the serial # be used and considered to be sufficient?

are the current methods used by medical devices mfr to identify medical devices being considered ineffective?

what is the benefits of using UDI instead of serial #?

How medical devices mfr accepting and justifying the cost of the UDI implementation?

Hope someone here help out and shine some light on these questions. I do really appreciated .. thanks in advance

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
M

MIREGMGR

Why do we need a UDI now, can the serial # be used and considered to be sufficient?

are the current methods used by medical devices mfr to identify medical devices being considered ineffective?

what is the benefits of using UDI instead of serial #?

How medical devices mfr accepting and justifying the cost of the UDI implementation?
UDI is just an (eventually) globally standardized way of providing scanner-readability for existing, non-standardized-format, non-scanner-readable medical device identifying information so that end user organizations can more efficiently buy, receive, store and allocate to the cost account of a particular patient the various products and supplies they use.

A key goal is to move healthcare providers from having a huge overhead percentage, containing most of their expenditures on disposables and supplies, to having accurate allocation of exactly where all of those disposables and supplies were used. This better accounting for costs is regarded by many healthcare cost experts as an essential element of social and governmental projects to get healthcare costs under control.

If it's mandatory...and eventually it will be everywhere..."justification" by a particular manufacturer is unimportant. If you want to market medical devices, you conform to the regulations, including this one.

L

Laura S

Hi Everyone,

This Thread is very informative. <snip>
Hi Everybody. @MIREGMGR is correct - there is no option to bypass this regulation if your firm is a manufacturer of medical devices unless you have an incredibly good case for an exemption. Most companies do not have that option, therefore, they must comply.

Manufacturers of the first group of devices, the implantables and life-saving/life supporting classes of devices, just hit their required implementation date in September 2014. There are many lessons learned from this group of suppliers, including the realization of just how much work it really is to get to "UDI" on your product line. It's not just a new bar code format. There's much more that needs to be done.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mark Meer

Trusted Information Resource
Why do we need a UDI now, can the serial # be used and considered to be sufficient? are the current methods used by medical devices mfr to identify medical devices being considered ineffective?
Setting aside manufacturer obligations for a moment (we can all agree UDI is mandatory), I still think this is a valid question by the OP.

It seems to me that any actual benefits lie only with products that are disposable or otherwise distributed in large quantities.

For your average "limited-devices-per-facility" devices however, I personally see no benefit. My feeling is that in cases where, for example, the serial number has to be referenced off such devices, the user will simply read it off the label as they always have, rather than running for their scanner...

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
UDI is just an (eventually) globally standardized way of providing scanner-readability for existing, non-standardized-format, non-scanner-readable medical device identifying information so that end user organizations can more efficiently buy, receive, store and allocate to the cost account of a particular patient the various products and supplies they use.

A key goal is to move healthcare providers from having a huge overhead percentage, containing most of their expenditures on disposables and supplies, to having accurate allocation of exactly where all of those disposables and supplies were used. This better accounting for costs is regarded by many healthcare cost experts as an essential element of social and governmental projects to get healthcare costs under control.

If it's mandatory...and eventually it will be everywhere..."justification" by a particular manufacturer is unimportant. If you want to market medical devices, you conform to the regulations, including this one.
Not diminishing cost considerations, I think that UDI is also important for post-market vigilance. It is most relevant for devices that by-nature are separated from their packaging / labeling, and normally wouldn't carry a label.

Last edited:
M

MIREGMGR

Not diminishing cost considerations, I think that UDI is also important for post-market vigilance. It is most relevant for devices that by-nature are separated from their packaging / labeling, and normally wouldn't carry a label.
Yes, agreed. This also applies to devices that are separated from their packaging when first used, and only later are realized to have caused a problem. That includes a large percentage of disposables issues.

J

Julie O

Yes, I understand that the healthcare providers were eager to have it due to cost considerations, and their support for it made it easier for FDA to push it through. FDA's own interest is in its potential use for post-market vigilance.

Mark Meer

I'm still not entirely convinced of the benefits. Devices need to be identifiable, sure (especially, as mentioned, those that are separated from packaging and accompanying docs). ...but is requiring AIDC technology really necessary?

I could easily see the current UDI regs being stripped of the requirement for AIDC, and still be just as effective (implants, and tiny devices notwithstanding).

Ah well, I guess, if nothing else, it's definitely a boon to GS1 and HIBCC!

J

Julie O

Mark, I'm so not the expert on this, but...

The benefits to whom?

As for AIDC, I have assumed that it is to save time over manual data entry. Wouldn't all systems that use AIDC work without it? Isn't AIDC implemented as a practical measure, because someone doesn't want to have to do manual entry?

Mark Meer

My point-of-view is that matters of convenience and practicality should be limited to the realm of marketing and customer-manufacturer agreements, NOT regulations.

If, for example, a hospital has a database that uses GS1 AIDC codes, then they can certainly request from their suppliers to provide GS1 barcodes on their labels.
....or have their own purchasing policies that lean towards purchasing products with these codes.

But for the FDA to mandate AIDC codes, this should really have a better justification than simple convenience.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Understanding UDI requirements - Class 2 medical device (hearing aids) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
DuncanGibbons Understanding the applicability of Design of Experiments to the IQ OQ PQ qualification approach Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 0
B Measuring and monitoring equipment - Understanding which procedures to be compliant with ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
M Informational Health Canada has launched an e-Learning tool to aid in understanding the premarket regulatory requirements for medical devices in Canada Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational Understanding Costs And Risks For HFE Usability Studies — Part 1: Testing In-House Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
P Understanding FDA draft "Management of Cybersecurity in Medical Devices" Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 3
J Properly understanding SPC - Newbie SPC questions Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 29
S Understanding control chart and measurement capability Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
P Minitab Data Analysis - Understanding if a Process is in Control or Not Using Minitab Software 2
R Understanding a few points on ISO 9001's Design and Development Planning ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
Z Understanding Cycle Time - Why the time of the other activities are left out Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 11
J Understanding ISO 9001:2015 - 10.3 Continual Improvement ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
J Understanding ISO9001:2015 - 8.3: Design and Development of Products and Services ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
E Root Cause Analysis - Is Insufficient Understanding an acceptable Root Cause? General Auditing Discussions 9
E Understanding of TS 16949 Clause 7.6.2 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
K Understanding IEC 60601-2-68 requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
A Training material for interpretation & understanding Part 11 requirements 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
N Understanding the absolute uncertainty specification for a Fluke 5500A Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 3
N Understanding, Challenging & Approving Supplier Control Plans FMEA and Control Plans 7
M Definition Recommendations - Understanding "recommendations" and "recommended corrective action" Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 8
T Understanding USP <1112> Water Activity as applicable to Medical Devices Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 4
K Understanding Risk Management Requirements according to AS9100 AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 11
S MIL-HDBK-217 - Understanding the various Environmental Conditions Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 1
D What is your understanding or interpretation of TS16949 7.4.1.2 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
C Understanding the relationship between 62304 and the MDD ER IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 7
S Understanding Subgroup Size - Multi Cavity (Minitab) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
R Understanding clause 15.4.2.1 d) of amendment 1:2012? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 7
M Understanding accreditation, MoUs, certifications Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 28
L Mobile Medical App - Understanding 21 CFR Part 820 Requirements 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
D Understanding and implementing ISO 17025 ISO 17025 related Discussions 9
M Understanding Versions of Collateral and Particular Standards IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 7
S Understanding, Analysis and Monitoring Quality Defects on Composite Components Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
S Understanding PMS (Post Market Surveillance) and PMCF (Vigilance and PMCF) Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 1
B Understanding why my CpK and PpK are low, and LCL Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 20
S Understanding Quality Objectives, Metrics and KPI ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 15
Q Beginner's Understanding - The Purpose and Applications of QMS/ISO Standards Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 12
Q Understanding Configuration Management AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 16
W Understanding PPAP Appearance Approval APQP and PPAP 19
V Understanding Automotive Coating for Seating Mechanism Components Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
M Understanding of Regression and ANOVA in Minitab Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
4 Understanding ILAC policy P14:12/2010 6.3 part a) General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 28
H Understanding 8.2.3 M&M of Processes for our Internal Audit ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
P Understanding ISO 26262 Road Vehicle Functional Safety Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
arios Understanding adoption of a product to an existing Sterilization Cycle Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
M Learning ISO 13485 - Getting a better understanding of the requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
S Understanding FDA rules regarding MDDS Status and Clinical Trials 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
G Understanding Identification of Design in QSR 21 CRF Part 820.30 Design Control (f) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
Q Understanding the general Philosophy with Complaints and CAPAs ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
M Understanding DC Patient Leakage Failure from 0.3VDC IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
E Understanding TS 16949 Clause 8.2.3 and How to Audit according to it IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7