Universal Power Cord with Adapters - IVD IEC 61010-2-101

Hi all,

I would like to ask about the requirements and if there's a smart solution to replace a bunch of country specific cord / plug with a certified universal power cord + country specific adapters.

Context: My company sells In Vitro Diagnostic electronic devices. Customers are complaining that they are not receiving the correct power cords for their country. My company would like to see if we can ship an universal power cord that has been certified in all the shipping countries, along with a bunch of plug adapters and let the customers choose. The adapters are not certified.

Questions:
1. What are the requirements around adapters? From IEC 61010 perspective, I only see that Sweden does not allow this unless it's used by travelers or temporary shows. Are there similar requirements in 60950 and/or 62368-1?

2. How would a company approach the certification of the plug adapters + cord combo? I understand the certification requirement is country specific. Some accept IEC at the connector side, but has its own safety certification requirement on the cable and plug side. Some country accept a la carte but some (like China) requires the whole assembly to be certified.

3. Is this even possible at all? I've never seen a certified plug adapter, let alone a certified adapter + power cord assembly. I would assume many companies would be doing this if it is indeed possible.

Thank you for all your inputs.

Jack

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
Thanks for the reply Charlie. That sounds like what we are doing right now but there are a lot more countries involved, hence the number of cords involved and increased chance of the correct cord missing for the customer. We have thought about shipping all cords to customer and let them choose the correct one but that creates a new issue with shipping / weight / packaging haha

Watch out for south america, especially Brazil and Argentina. Their requirements are highly specific and they wouldn't accept the model you have now. They require a specific power cord in the packaging and no other power cords provided, even if they are for other countries..

Watch out for south america, especially Brazil and Argentina. Their requirements are highly specific and they wouldn't accept the model you have now. They require a specific power cord in the packaging and no other power cords provided, even if they are for other countries..
Thank you for the heads up! Would you happen to what standard list that power cord requirement in the 2 countries?

Thank you for the heads up! Would you happen to what standard list that power cord requirement in the 2 countries?
Its been a few years for me dealing with electronics in those countries but I am pretty sure its NBR 14136 and NBR 6147 that Inmetro accepts. I think the safety standard they look for is IEC 60230 or some derivative of that.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
bobdoering Most typical universal Quality System Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 8
Marc Definition UBL - Universal Business Language Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 0
M Universal Process Audit Form Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
N Any ULM (Universal Length Measuring device) Users? Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 5
A Haimer Universal 3-D Sensor Calibration - No Calibration Needed? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 13
G Revision Control - Per document vs Universal control Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
P Finding UMDNS (Universal Medical Device Nomenclature System) Codes Other Medical Device Related Standards 6
B Universal Medical Device vs. Global Medical Device Nomenclature Systems Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
T Universal Testing Machine - Calibration and Measurement Uncertainty General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
G Universal FMEA - Small job shop stamper FMEA and Control Plans 3
J Universal phone charger approved After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 4
M Universal Master Square/Toolmakers Surface Plate Square Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
I Laboratory for Checking Tensile Strength using UTM (Universal Tensile Machine) General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 13
I Does Anyone know how to check Universal Tensile Machine (UTM) ? Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 5
N Universal/International Symbol for Tolerance and/or Calibration Levels? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
F What the heck is Universal 57 font? MS Word asks for the font Universal 57 After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 7
D Line clearance - Routine components in the prep room for universal use ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
B Non-sterile - Does anyone know of a universal symbol? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
L Looking for a universal(?) example to illustrate what happens when an error occurs Nonconformance and Corrective Action 4
W Nonconformance ID tags - Seeking universal non-conforming Red Tag - Approx. 4" x 6" Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
Marc Rule discussion 2 - Universal Healthcare Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 15
L Universal Studios Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 2
F Configurator for a power unit - Software or other solution? Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
H Using/Selling power banks with your product as a "mobile version" CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
S Class I Equipment with mobile power inverter IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
L Class II (Double Insulated) Power Supply with Output Tied to Earth: FE or PE? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
D Hand Held medical device - power supply requirements IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 7
A Can a power Supply be an accessory to a medical device, if it is an 'off-the-shelf' product. IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
Judy Abbott The impact of laser power on biocompatibility of the products Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
C Power Supply EN60601-1 vs EN62368-1 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
S DC-AC Power inverter with two MOPPs IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
J Surge Protectors and other power protection Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
Sidney Vianna Informational APQP4Wind - Advanced Product Quality Planning for the Wind Power Supply Chain APQP and PPAP 3
U Power supply - Change From 160 to 300 Watts - Significant change? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
R Power Failure or Cold Start Situation in PFMEA FMEA and Control Plans 6
R IEC 60601-1 - Power Supply Cords (Section 8.11.3.1) IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
M MS Power Automate/Sharepoint Files Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
O Are power distribution units Multiple Socket Outlets (MSOs)? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
L Medical-grade power adapter labeling Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
A Calibration of Power Supplies AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
B IEC 60601 Cl. 8.4.3 - ME EQUIPMENT intended to be connected to a power source by a plug / Plug discharge IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
Proud Liberal Power Query to combine multiple tables of unequal number of columns Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
L External power supplies: How close does the safety report have to match the end-use application? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
L IEC 62368-1 / Electrical Energy Source vs. Power Source? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
B Need For BIS Standard Mark? Imported OEM's Power supply,Li-Ion Battery Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
I Containment procedure for parts after a power outage. IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
P UDI labeling for power module IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 6
E IEC 61010-1 Dielectric strength test of inner power supply Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 0
S Power rating for medical devices in the US - Radiotherapy devices US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
T Is anyone working with N299.1 (Supply/service to nuclear power plants)? Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 0